Dr. Frank Ryan -- Famous Plastic Surgeon Dies

8/17/2010 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Dr. Frank Ryan -- a prominent Beverly Hills plastic surgeon to the stars, famous for Heidi Montag's extreme makeover, is dead ... killed in a car crash.

Dr. Frank Ryan's Death

According to law enforcement, Dr. Ryan's Jeep went over the side of Pacific Coast Highway yesterday at around 4:30 PM.  The Jeep landed on rocks and lifeguards initially tried to help Ryan, to no avail.

Ryan, who was 50, was trapped in the vehicle and had major head injuries.  The Ventura County Fire Department tried hoisting Ryan using a helicopter, but the attempt was called off. Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Minutes before the crash, Ryan Tweeted, "After 25 years of driving by, I finally hiked to the top of the giant sand dune on the pch west of Malibu.  Much harder than it looks!  Whew!"

Ryan's last Tweet before he died, "Border collie jill surveying the view from atop the sand dune."  Ryan posted the picture below with his Tweet.  Law enforcement tells us the dog was injured but survived.

081710_ryan_dog

Dr. Frank Ryan is DeadAmong Ryan's patients -- Gene Simmons, Shauna Sand, Vince Neil and Adrianne Curry.

Dr. Ryan appeared on numerous TV shows and even performed plastic surgery on the air.

UPDATE: TMZ just received a statement from Janice Dickinson's rep saying, "Janice is deeply, deeply anguished!  She is stunned and wants the world to know what a genius Dr. Ryan was."

The rep adds, "He was a friend and my love goes out to his mother and the rest of the family."

UPDATE:  According to the CHP, Ryan's 1995 Jeep Wrangler veered off the roadway and overturned down a rocky embankment toward the ocean, coming to rest on its roof.  Ryan was pronounced dead by paramedics.  Law enforcement sources tell us Ryan's dog was found in the ocean and seriously injured.  The dog was taken to a local veterinary hospital.

Remembering Dr. Frank Ryan

Michael

Was he teeting while driving, or driving while tweeting...big difference:)

llama-rama

makes me scared. I drive the same vehicle, and I have a border collie. Will be avoiding the pch from now on! to be fair, those hairpin turns really are rough in a Wrangler if you are not paying extremely close attention. Driving a manual Wrangler is a full time job, and tweeting, texting, etc cannot be done. RIP.

cindy landon

You all that have posted cruel comments should be ashamed. I am assuming you all must really not like yourself to be so hateful.

Did tiger sleep with this one also?

people.com is saying he was texting and driving, glad he didn't kill anyone someone wrote this on facebook:Its fortunate that he didn't kill anybody on his way out.I always wondered who turned Heidi Montag into a freak.Its not like he was using hes skill for burn victims or anybody that really needed it...right?That must have been one important tweet!..I'm really glad the dogs ok.

carron psycazdeva

just like to say that is sad that people are not so great they lost a plastic surgeon however he was still many peoples friend and also he has family who love and will always miss him, thanks to my from my friend Mark Pea**** leting me know of his loss of his friend, sending thoughts to all. Also glad his doggy lives to tell another tail ;) SHAME HIS OWNER ISN'T THERE hope he isn't pinning for franko too much.

sherry

I am so deeply saddened by the passing of Frank. He was a wonderful friend, so vibrant and and full of fun. He had such compassion, concern and care for his friends as well as his patients. I will miss him dearly, he was not only a brilliant surgeon but a loyal and compassionate friend to me always. He was always there for me for 16 years, and my heart and thoughts go out to those who were fortunate to know him and his dear mother. May you rest in peace always, Frank. As Always, Hugs,Sherry!

Did tiger sleep with this one also?

Top Stories
Add People News

* My AOL
* My Google
* My Yahoo
* My MSN
* RSS

* Samantha Harris Expecting Baby No. 2
* Jenny McCarthy's Mystery Man's Identity Revealed
* Heidi Montag Mourns Death of Her Plastic Surgeon
* Heidi Montag's Plastic Surgeon Dies in Car Crash
* Kim Kardashian: 'My Entire Body is Hairless'
* 'Mystery Woman' DeDe Spicher Defends Stepmom in Kyron Horman Case
* Khloé Kardashian: Getting Pregnant Is 'in God's Hands'
* Danielle Staub Likely Leaving Real Housewives

More Headlines
The Duggars
Under Fire Again This Week's Issue!

On Newsstands Now

The Duggars
Under Fire Again

GET 8 FREE ISSUES!

Top Five Most Read Stories This Week

Jesse James and Kat Von D Get Cozy in Las Vegas | Jesse James

1 Jesse James and Kat Von D Get Cozy in Las Vegas

2 Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie Get Married

3 Katie Holmes: I'm Still Starstruck by Tom Cruise

4 Neil Patrick Harris to Be a Dad – to Twins

5 Patricia Arquette and Thomas Jane Split

LAST UPDATE: Tuesday August 17, 2010 08:10PM EDT

PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes

Get PEOPLE.com's iPHONE APP!

Breaking news, bigger photos and 200 full celebrity profiles, all at the tap of a finger!

Get It Now

* Next Article

Plastic Surgeon Was Texting in Car Before Fatal Crash

By Howard Breuer

Tuesday August 17, 2010 08:15 PM EDT
Plastic Surgeon Was Texting in Car Before Fatal Crash

Frazer Harrison/Getty; Pacific Coast News

* Facebook
* Twitter
* E-mail

Dr. Frank Ryan, plastic surgeon to Heidi Montag and other celebrities, was sending a Twitter message about his border collie just before his fatal car accident, his ex-girlfriend tells PEOPLE.

"He lived up in Malibu on a tiny street and he was texting while driving and he accidentally went over the cliff," Charmaine Blake says.

Blake, a celebrity publicist, says Ryan's family was told by investigators that the Tweeting caused the wreck on Monday.

The dog, whose name is Jill – Blake's middle name – was in the car at the time of the crash and survived injuries to the head, eye and paw.

The California Highway Patrol confirms Ryan was texting before the crash, but investigators have not officially determined the cause of the accident.

"It is one of the elements that we are investigating," CHP Officer Steven Reid says.

Blake says she lived with Ryan from 2003 to 2006. After breaking up, they remained close and Ryan was also helping support her, says Blake.

"It was the only serious relationship I ever had and he was the love of my life," Blake, 29, says. "It was hard for us to stay away from each other."

She adds that she hopes other people learn from this tragedy that "people should not text and drive at all."

delirium

Dr. Ryan will be missed. Not all of his clients were beauty chasing celebrities. He has been my mother's surgeon through 5 years of battling cancer and he is one of the biggest reasons that she is still with us and doing as well as she is. His talent and humanity are a great loss.

JSL

R.I.P. Frankie, now you can be with your father again.

For those who asked: Yes, Jill is back home with Frank's mother and is doing as good as can be expected. She is expected to make a full recovery.

For the condolances, thank you very much. It was nice to be able to read some good things about Frankie in between all the haters' disrespectful posts.

No matter what you thought of his work, he was human and has a loving and grieving family who did, in fact, read those ignorant posts in the hopes of reading something great about someone they loved very much who was taken from us way too soon. Next time, please hold your verbal garbage out of respect for the family. Thank you in advance.

/JSL

thebking19

Hey, this is really sad isn't it, BTW hi Rufkahr.

Blair

I knew Dr. Ryan, I went to him for medical dermatology. He was a surprisingly modest, kind man who was dedicated to his philanthropic efforts to help children. He didn't drink or do drugs, and I cannot believe he would text and drive. He was very much on the side of safe living. I think this was just some sort of tragic accident, probably unrelated to texting or substances or the dog. It seems he tweeted what he did from the top of his hike, not while driving. The times involved pretty much say that.

jan

i am amazed at all the comments asking if he was texting, tweeting while he was driving. it also amazes me how the average person (really most people) just does not pay attention. the article states he tweeted a photo of the dog minutes before he crashed. the photo of the dog shows him sitting on the beach. common sense should tell everyone he sent the photo right after he took it while still on the beach. i am amazed how how many know-it-alls have come to the conclusion that he was tweeting while driving without ONE fact to base it on. i am also amazed what anyone would tweet their personal life activites for strangers to read.

Steena

I was sad to hear of Dr. Ryans' passing. I did not know him but watched him on various shows through the years. I followed him as I was planning on using his skills for myself eventually. He struck me as very good at his job and a kind man when he was interviewed. At least he had some nice last moments at the beach with his dog....RIP

SB

I am utterly in shock over this news.
I got up this morning and received an email about the good Doctors Memorial.
I first thought it was a joke but then after going to CNN and here, its a harsh reality.
I knew the good Doctor for over 10 years and visited him to get some previous injuries fixed.
I am now living in Japan and flew all the way to have my procedure done by him just a few months ago. Yes HE IS THAT GOOD.
I went previously to other doctors but they could not match what Dr Frank Ryan had done.
While I was in LA just a few months ago, we sat for about 40 minutes in his consulting room just talking about life, politics, the new Arizona law, about my life in Japan, etc. He said I was like a distant family member who would see him every few years.
He was such a great caring, kind, unselfish, individual. probably the most sane/down to earth person I ever met in Southern California, who like me, did not drink or do drugs.
He was only one of a few hand picked doctors to go to an intensive Plastic Surgery training program. Yes he was very good at what he did.
For all you negative posters, clients go to him with gross expectations, and since Dr Frank Ryan was such a nice man, he would do what the patient asked. If it was too much, he would tell the patient about the consequences. So don't blame the doctor, blame the patient with the unrealistic expectations.
I wish I could be there at his memorial tonight, but I cannot make the flight from Japan on such short notice.
To all his family, friends and caring staff, be strong.
We lost a great plastic surgeon, philanthropist, and human being.

Bye

SB

lili

Has anyone considered that he had a heart attack? He had just indicated that it was a rough climb.