Dr. Frank Ryan -- Famous Plastic Surgeon Dies

8/17/2010 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Dr. Frank Ryan -- a prominent Beverly Hills plastic surgeon to the stars, famous for Heidi Montag's extreme makeover, is dead ... killed in a car crash.

Dr. Frank Ryan's Death

According to law enforcement, Dr. Ryan's Jeep went over the side of Pacific Coast Highway yesterday at around 4:30 PM.  The Jeep landed on rocks and lifeguards initially tried to help Ryan, to no avail.

Ryan, who was 50, was trapped in the vehicle and had major head injuries.  The Ventura County Fire Department tried hoisting Ryan using a helicopter, but the attempt was called off. Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Minutes before the crash, Ryan Tweeted, "After 25 years of driving by, I finally hiked to the top of the giant sand dune on the pch west of Malibu.  Much harder than it looks!  Whew!"

Ryan's last Tweet before he died, "Border collie jill surveying the view from atop the sand dune."  Ryan posted the picture below with his Tweet.  Law enforcement tells us the dog was injured but survived.

081710_ryan_dog

Dr. Frank Ryan is DeadAmong Ryan's patients -- Gene Simmons, Shauna Sand, Vince Neil and Adrianne Curry.

Dr. Ryan appeared on numerous TV shows and even performed plastic surgery on the air.

UPDATE: TMZ just received a statement from Janice Dickinson's rep saying, "Janice is deeply, deeply anguished!  She is stunned and wants the world to know what a genius Dr. Ryan was."

The rep adds, "He was a friend and my love goes out to his mother and the rest of the family."

UPDATE:  According to the CHP, Ryan's 1995 Jeep Wrangler veered off the roadway and overturned down a rocky embankment toward the ocean, coming to rest on its roof.  Ryan was pronounced dead by paramedics.  Law enforcement sources tell us Ryan's dog was found in the ocean and seriously injured.  The dog was taken to a local veterinary hospital.

Remembering Dr. Frank Ryan

Akbar Ahmed

The accident is a most tragic one.
I hope the cause of the rollover will be ascertained.
Thanks and best regards
Akbar Ahmed

B

Very sad. Hope he wasn't doing the "tweeting" while he was driving - Texting while driving is a huge no-no. It is nice to think that in his last few hours, he was doing something he had thought about doing for (as he said) 25 years and enjoying the view. I'm glad his poor dog survived...But what a horrible thing for his family and friends.

sheelzy

This is shocking. He was a client of mine many years ago when I worked on Rodeo Drive. He was always so kind. He said I had the perfect nose...lol, and that my nose is what he would try to create if he had to pick the perfect nose. That was the sweetest compliment of my life. I was sad about the back lash he received from the Heidi Montag surgery because he was NOT the surgeon people were making him out to be. He was a very kind person. I was on my way to the Playboy Mansion for a halloween party and he and his date were in a cab ahead of us, ironically, leading up Charing Cross Rd. They got out and decided to walk up the hill because they were racking up quite a tab waiting in the traffic. We gave them a lift. He was dressed as a doctor...lol. He was wearing scrubs and his date went as a nurse. Those are my memories of him. Fun loving and kind! I can't believe it. This is very sad. I'm so sorry for his family and his friends.

cizzle

Don't ask me why but for some reason, this is very sad and tragic to me. No doubt taking some well deserved time away from the grind to enjoy nature with man's best friend and this happens. So very sad. My condolences to all who loved Dr. Ryan.

Mary Reiner

Will his pup survive? Sorry to hear he lost his life but it sounds like he wasn't paying attention to the road if he was tweeting messages.Please don't use your Cell phone while driving.See the results!!

frANCINE

mY PRAYERS WITH HIS MOTHER,FAMILY AND FRIENDS.MAY HE REST IN PEACE.GOD BLESS?

entropy156

Wow....look at all the snide a-holes who have done absolutely nothing remarkable with their lives making nasty comments about a man they didn't know and who did a whole lot of good for a whole lot of people. The high profile work this man did on celebrities allowed him to do things like pro-bono (ask your moms to look it up for you, cretins) reconstructive surgery on birth defects and tattoo removal on former gangsters who wanted to get out of the life and make something of themselves. And what have *you* done to make this world a better place? This was a good man with a grieving family left behind. Have a bit of decency and shut your ignorant pieholes.

Gia

Heidi Montag had butt surgery too, but it wasn't necessary http://getabiggerbutt.info

gil

wow a harsh tragedy & lesson to others about focusing on driving NOT focusing on texting & driving. Seconds matter. Life matters.

marianne

Poor dog!

StarrV

Frank was and incredible person. A talented surgeon and a wonderful human being. May he rest in peace. We will miss him.

Arleene Solis

I'm shocked at how many people are so cruel at a time like this.I knew Dr.Ryan as he was a regular customer at Neptune's Net where he would take his mom. He would always have a big smile and would also give you a big hug. He was more then a customer he was a friend. He treated everyone with such respect I will truely miss him

Karen

Very sad that he died, but it proves that texting and driving can be deadly, and for this statement to be proven time and again by the death of someone, should tell everyone not to do it.

Julie

WHO are you people to be so judgemental not even knowing him?!
You have no idea what kind of charities he belonged to AND how he provided for
others that were disadvantaged. You also have no idea of his gentleness, his compassion for
others, and his sweet caring demeanor. If you had never met Dr. Ryan, then you have no right
in saying anything negative about him!

sugardaisy

Pretty clear he was tweeting and driving