Dr. Frank Ryan -- Famous Plastic Surgeon Dies

8/17/2010 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned ... Dr. Frank Ryan -- a prominent Beverly Hills plastic surgeon to the stars, famous for Heidi Montag's extreme makeover, is dead ... killed in a car crash.

Dr. Frank Ryan's Death

According to law enforcement, Dr. Ryan's Jeep went over the side of Pacific Coast Highway yesterday at around 4:30 PM.  The Jeep landed on rocks and lifeguards initially tried to help Ryan, to no avail.

Ryan, who was 50, was trapped in the vehicle and had major head injuries.  The Ventura County Fire Department tried hoisting Ryan using a helicopter, but the attempt was called off. Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Minutes before the crash, Ryan Tweeted, "After 25 years of driving by, I finally hiked to the top of the giant sand dune on the pch west of Malibu.  Much harder than it looks!  Whew!"

Ryan's last Tweet before he died, "Border collie jill surveying the view from atop the sand dune."  Ryan posted the picture below with his Tweet.  Law enforcement tells us the dog was injured but survived.

081710_ryan_dog

Dr. Frank Ryan is DeadAmong Ryan's patients -- Gene Simmons, Shauna Sand, Vince Neil and Adrianne Curry.

Dr. Ryan appeared on numerous TV shows and even performed plastic surgery on the air.

UPDATE: TMZ just received a statement from Janice Dickinson's rep saying, "Janice is deeply, deeply anguished!  She is stunned and wants the world to know what a genius Dr. Ryan was."

The rep adds, "He was a friend and my love goes out to his mother and the rest of the family."

UPDATE:  According to the CHP, Ryan's 1995 Jeep Wrangler veered off the roadway and overturned down a rocky embankment toward the ocean, coming to rest on its roof.  Ryan was pronounced dead by paramedics.  Law enforcement sources tell us Ryan's dog was found in the ocean and seriously injured.  The dog was taken to a local veterinary hospital.

Remembering Dr. Frank Ryan

sugardaisy

Pretty clear he was tweeting and driving

Tanya

Now Heide Can't get those surgeries reversed. I feel sorry for her.

Rikki

The authorities can get the cell records and see what activity was going on just before the fatal fall. If that is what it was that caused it, I am glad he didn't hit any other motorists! People that text and drive are SELFISH!

anonymous

SHOCKING!!!! heard something just a short while ago on the news about this man (montags plastic surgeon) in a serious accident..and it prompted me to look online..didn't know about this til just now,this is abit eerie though. and sad as well. I'm not one to applaude someones death, that's not me...however, Heidi Montag should start thinking now,because he's gone and she has noone to look to if she wants to go way overboard with more plastic surgery..she's so "pathetic", and should be ashamed of herself though..because we are born as we are, the way god intended..shame on her for alteringing gods work!!!!!because she "was" really gorgeous before she had all that plastic done!!! her mother was right. But, for the doctor, may his soul rest in peace.

anonymous

I forgot to add, about the dog, i love animals and am so relieved the dog was still alive...but,i wonder if the dog is showing signs of being traumatized by what just happened and by the fact that the dog itself was thrown from the vehicle as it went over.

nn

There are many ugly "superficiality" themed remarks about Frank Ryan's death floating on the internet. What is truly superficial is for those who do not know an individual to judge his/her character. Through his foundation Dr. Ryan shared a love of animals and nature and offered opportunity and inspiration to inner city youth. To ignore the contradictions of this talented and giving human being is more tragic than his premature death. To cast him as someone whose death resulted from tweeting before any official report on the matter has been filed is ludicrous. However, should this prove to have been the cause of his accident I'm sure Dr. Ryan would again generously give through his notoriety and death an admonition against this action. Yet another gift Dr. Ryan would have contributed to helping others.

Love and prayers to Dr. Ryan's family.

Hannah

I cant believe this terrible event! If only he hadnt been texting while driving! I use SMS Replier to make sure I dont text while I drive.. too many people die from distracted driving, and we have got to put a stop to it! check out my blog about it at textkills.com

RUP

i didn't know him, but it sounds like he was a wonderful human being and that is the best legacy anyone can have. you leave your money and wordly goods behind, but when someone is remembered for their kindness, caring and empathy, those are the characteristics we should all strive for. that is what makes someone a success in life more than their occupation.
God Bless you Dr.

RUP

sorry, misprint - worldy goods, not wordly goods

RUP

WORLDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

sayonara

I never met the man, but reading through the comments of those who did, I am immensely sad at this tragic accident. It sounds like the world has lost a truly decent human being, someone with a kind soul and an innate sense of perspective...something so rare and difficult to find lately.

I've always been grateful when I've heard about surgeons who were willing to donate their time to repair defects or scars which victims couldn't afford to fix. I was glad someone was there to fill this need, as it is something the most well meaning of us are incapable of doing, even if we wanted to. How few people, in this increasingly self-centered world, are willing to give of their time in this way? May this remind us all to show a little more charity towards those in our lives, so that we too may hope to leave this kind of impact as a legacy when it's our turn to leave this earth.

My condolences to the family and all the friends and co-workers. There really is nothing that can ease the pain or fill the hole left by a premature parting. So sorry for this sad ending.

Namaste

beau

His surgery made everyone have a Surprised look....When his jeep was airborn bet his last words were Oh Sh%t...What idiot would tex on a winding two way mountain road..The same ones who dont wear seat belts and use cell phones.

LeBelleSavage

Anybody who knows Pacific Coast Highway, knows that parts are very windy, with kinda scary drops with the most beautiful vistas AND very few turnouts...some stretches of road are almost a pain to drive..cuz they go on forever. I'm not sure where he "veered off", nor do I know what happened. I imagine Dr & Jill both had a wonderful day romping on the dunes.....if he was tweeting, lets learn from it. If he wasn't, God only knows what happened. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace, till then.

alexis

This breaks my heart. People need to start being more careful. I heard he was a great surgeon too. No tweet is that important.

Stephanie

Yes, please update us on the dog!