Adderall May Have

Unhinged Lindsay Lohan

8/20/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's Adderall dependence -- the result of a medical misdiagnosis -- may have been the reason she went off the rails.

081910_lindsay_lohan_getty
As we first reported, the docs at the UCLA rehab facility believe Lindsay was misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ... and was prescribed Adderall to treat the phantom affliction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- a prominent L.A. addiction specialist -- tells TMZ ... people who take Adderall when they don't need it can experience similar effects as people who use cocaine or methamphetamine.

Dr. Haraszti tells us ... people who unnecessarily take Adderall can display manic symptoms ... and often do things like "driving around until all hours of the morning ... smoking heavily ... tweeting ... and texting all night long." The doc adds, "They can become very impulsive."

The doc also notes that people in that situation "might then complain of insomnia and then take Ambien or other sleep aids to help fall asleep ... it's a vicious cycle"

Dr. Marc Kern -- another addiction expert -- tells us alcohol abuse is also very common among patients who take Adderall.

Dr. Kern tells us, "The Adderall counteracts the sedative side effects of alcohol use … making these people often drink more than someone who does not take the drug."

Bottom line -- a bad medical diagnosis may have set the ball rolling that unhinged Lindsay's life.

Star

It's true. I'm an avid Lindsey hater, but if you've ever taken the drug and didn't need it, you'd know. she's been taking them since she was young. Maybe she was never re-evaluated when she didn't need them. Some kids grow out of ADHD in their teens. (Although, who's to say it's just not a naturally hyper kid that the parents just want to shut up. Anyhow, she started partying in her later teens and this would fit the theory of her growing out of it. But, if she educated herself about the symptoms of using it w/o ADHD she would have known. I'm sure, with all these doctors she had, at least one noticed and didn't dot he right thing.

james

Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care. Does it really matter what Lindsey is taking abusing or not responding to? As long as we got Roger Clemens off the streets, we are safer as a nation!!!

Mary

This is loads of crap or the Lohans found a quack!! Trust me I was diagnosed with adult ADHD after several hours of testing. After Adderal was prescribed ( after asking me if this is what I wanted and after explaining the benefits and drawbacks) to me, I was asked to come back in two weeks to make sure I was reacting to the drug ok and if I had positive changes. After which I have to meet with the doctor every month to make sure I am doing just fine. Also the pharmacy keeps a very close look at the amount that is being prescribed as there are chances that the drug can be abused! So I am just an ordinary citizen and I had constant supervision as to how this medication was reacting in my system. I refuse to believe her **** and bull story and if it were true then I think they should be suing the doctor who prescribed this and make his/her name aware so that other people can stop going to them!

ó|ó

she was not misdiagnozed, she faked it to get drugs, there are lots of doctors only too happy to give out drugs and make false diagnosis jsut to befriend those famous people, they are called drug dealers when they don't have a medical degree you know, sadly those asses are called doctors when they get a degee in medicin and abuse it for junkies sakes, and they are junkies themselves, some people shoukld not just lose the right to prescribe drugs, they should lose the title ' doctor '

sugardaisy

If they put her on Adderall then she was already having issues. They were probably trying to "fix' her bad behavior. Someone is trying to do damage control with her reputation but it doesn't hold water with me. I'm not doubting that she abuses this drug as well as others, and maybe (not holding my breath) she will be somewhat better when she comes out of rehab.

Sonja

NO *hit Sherlock... Lindsy wasn't misdiagnosed she got a shady prescription for an amphetamine so she could abuse it. Keeps you thin and it's an upper, and people drink on it because it lets you drink even more booze before the whole 'sleepy/passout' stage can kick in. All this report did was prove that she was abusing Aderall... so what else is new because most of get that abusing a drug can cause one to act 'unhinged'.

Amy

I feel bad for her but it's a no-brainer that whenever someone takes meds for a condition they don't have, they're going to have problems.

It probably didn't help the situation that she washed it all down with a fifth of Belvedere. In fact, I wouldn't recommend washing ANYTHING down with a fifth of vodka, let alone meds for a condition you don't have. Even people who DO need to take Adderall should never, EVER mix it with alcohol. That's why it's required by law to be COVERED in brightly colored warnings that scream "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!!!!!!!" & pictures of little martini glasses with big ghost-busters signs on them, just in case a f*cking illiterate moron like Lindsey Lohan gets a hold of a bottle & she isn't 100% sure what those funny, squiggly lines are (Ummmm, they're called "letters", Einstein... ; P).

Warnings notwithstanding, Lindsey Lohan's low IQ precludes her ability to make sound decisions, even when given all the proper information, and seeing the result of her inhibited cognitive reasoning skills in the media should come as a surprise to no one.

Amy

Amy

Taking out a multi-million dollar insurance policy on Lindsey Lohan = a great retirement plan for the every day person

Barbara

So, all in all....her father was right folks. He said all along that it were her "meds" causing her bad behavior. All too fast Drs dole out meds to teens and they think they need them for life. I know of a 30yr old who was put on meds at 12, and still thinks he needs them to cope with life. Over the yrs more have been added to cope with the results from the original pills. He will never grow up, is eternally a teen.

Drina T

This is funny for the fact, how old is she they diagnos children with that, so how the hell is she still taking medicine for this. lol super funny.

Grammymac

I read somewhere that many of the Starlits in Hollywood including Lindsay Lohan used Adderall for weight loss and weight control.

Nana

I've notice a big trend with young hollywood starlets taking Aderall. It is know to cause weight loss so I think that is a big reason why they take it. Look at the sisters from "Pretty Wild", they all take Aderall. They showed it on the first episode when their mom was making it seem like it was so funny that her kids took Aderall. They are all wanna be actresses/ models, their mom used to be a model (she reminded me of Dina Lohan by the way), pushing her kids to try to be famous. So I think that Aderall probably pushed Lindsay Lohan to be as skinny as she is too. Remember the days of Mean Girls? She was a curvy girl and then she turned into Skeletor.

Catherine Malllory

A problem with the theory that lindsay was given adderall to keep her weight down and to keep partying all night is that she has claimed to be on these meds "as long as I can remember". Now, I do not doubt that her memory is impaired, but still I think she is speaking about being on this since early adolecences. I think that originally DINA was the one who sought out medications to better keep lindsay under control, to aid lindsey in being "sharper" (to remember her scripts lines) and to blast her butt out of bed in time to go to work after a previous long day.
If there are 14 year olds going alone into docs offices and procuring RX meds, or even being SEEN for that matter, it is violattion of medical ethics.
Kids are being given these meds, because their parents do not have either the time and/or skills to raise them propertly. Be swell if there were Mommy and Daddy pills. It does not work.

NickSunset

My friends seems to suffer from the same symptons and he is taking Adderall he may have been misdiagnosed as well. There is a lot of quack doctors trying to make a buck.