Adderall May Have

Unhinged Lindsay Lohan

8/20/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's Adderall dependence -- the result of a medical misdiagnosis -- may have been the reason she went off the rails.

081910_lindsay_lohan_getty
As we first reported, the docs at the UCLA rehab facility believe Lindsay was misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ... and was prescribed Adderall to treat the phantom affliction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- a prominent L.A. addiction specialist -- tells TMZ ... people who take Adderall when they don't need it can experience similar effects as people who use cocaine or methamphetamine.

Dr. Haraszti tells us ... people who unnecessarily take Adderall can display manic symptoms ... and often do things like "driving around until all hours of the morning ... smoking heavily ... tweeting ... and texting all night long." The doc adds, "They can become very impulsive."

The doc also notes that people in that situation "might then complain of insomnia and then take Ambien or other sleep aids to help fall asleep ... it's a vicious cycle"

Dr. Marc Kern -- another addiction expert -- tells us alcohol abuse is also very common among patients who take Adderall.

Dr. Kern tells us, "The Adderall counteracts the sedative side effects of alcohol use … making these people often drink more than someone who does not take the drug."

Bottom line -- a bad medical diagnosis may have set the ball rolling that unhinged Lindsay's life.

Bec215

Given how highly unethical it is for doctors to discuss a patient's medical history publicly, my assumption is that Lindsay's publicist has released this information - out of context of the rest of her diagnosis and treatment - to improve her chances of getting work after treatment. Someone who was "misdiagnosed" is insurable for a film. Someone who's an addict with behavioral problems is much more difficult. I don't think it's a lie - but I don't think it's the whole truth.

goldenspenz

Adderall is legal crystal. Plain and simple.

whateverpeeps

LOL

MISDIAGNOSIS MY ASS.

She doesn't have ADHD, never had, never will. But I bet it was convenient to have it when the doctor was writing that Rx, huh Lindsey?

What a druggie. Keep her in rehab longer, she needs it.

jeanette

OH Please!!, she was doing this before she was taking any drugs, the drugs just enhanced her problem more. When are you people going to quit making excuses for this young girl. She needs professional help for a long time. Thanks to her Mom and Dad.

Catherine Malllory

The Dx, or misDx in regard to the Adderall:
Docs have to write SOME kind of Dx in order to justify the Rx they right. (Partically rigid in Schedule II meds) . Insurance companies also will not pay for meds that are not diagnositically essential. With amphetamine, you basically have two AMA "acceptable" Dx. Narcolepsy, (and granted Lilo does fall DOWN a lot in public, but technically that is not the same as falling asleep) and ADD or ADHD.
So many people are misDXed, because Doc's don't know what's wrong but insurance will not pay for the DON"T KNOW DX.
Along time ago, doc use to be able to write, "R/O xyz disease", which was Rule Out a Dx. I really don't see this much anymore at all. And for all the hopefuls that think Doc's know it all: Marry One. That'll learn ya!

Catherine Malllory

too funny, that should of been "the Rx they WRITE"..there is some kind of Fruedian slip there I am sure, probably take all day for me to figure it out. Suggestions are welcome.

Catherine Malllory

Boy, I'm on a roll.
Fruedian = Freudian.
I am so glad I don't have my own reality TV show and noone really knows my real name.
Thank You God, Thou be so merciful to me.

Sid

Britney Spears 2, anyone?

moonies61

If Lindsay Lohan was ever ever diagnois with ADHD or ADD I'll be a ding dong monkeys uncle. She and many many young people today abuse adderral, some for the diet effect, some for the energy boost. First and foremost she needs to quit smoking, she already sounds like Ernest Borgnine.

duane

cant stand the wasted, drunk, junkie whore! the only time i ever want to hear about LL again is when they find her dead in a hotel room somewhere.

Shlee

ADHD IS A GIFT AND THE PHARMACUTICAL WESTERN MEDICINE IS KILLING OFF SOCIETY SLOWLY HAVE FUN DYING FOR THOS WHO HAVENT A CLUE ON THIS TOPIC

suedechik79

ive been saying this since she started acting wacky. i like how ucla docs cant just fess up and say that she twisted a docs arm to give her adderall to stay thin. id bet any amount of money there was no misdiagnosis, just lindsay asking to be on the drug.

Anon

Come on people - you're not doctors. Just because L.L is someone you may not like, this misdiagnose crap happens all the time, and it just may be a big indicator in her behavior. It's amazing to me how quickly we are to kick people when they're down. I hope you get a little more grace when you're life hits its low.

Hot Carl

Just overdose already. We're all sick of hearing about your sh*t, you spoiled whore.

Fleur

In the early '90s, before Adderall, Ritalin was the big thing- ANYONE at University could find someone who had bottles of 500 pills- and buy them for practically nothing. We all referred to it, jokingly, as "poor man's coke". Lo, these many years later, it's not so funny. It was also when "mini-thins" were at the Petrol station for nearly nothing- a month's worth of Ephedrine for a few bucks.
It messed a LOT of people up- thankfully, my minor dalliance with snorting a Ritalin before an exam didn't kill me. I can only imagine, however, the lethal and horrific combo of Adderall (like Ritalin and other meds mentioned here), which are, in essence, Speed, with alcohol and Opioids.
One can't know her mouth pain- maybe she needed far more help than anyone knew, and hydromorphone was the only aid- it's a strong opiate and considering the abuse of stimulants, and (even FAR WORSE), Ambien (which, BTW is almost chemically identical to GHB), it's a wonder she's alive--but perhaps she was tolerant to anything else. I would never wish horrific pain on anyone- it merely should have been used responsibly and she should have had close monitoring..... Add street drugs, and it's even more amazing.
I will not cast stones at Lindsay- I hope she makes good decisions, as she's a decent actor (and maybe a really good person- how are we to know? "weakness" or addiction come in many forms-and I hope she clears her life of her absurd parents and other enablers-regardless of "blame". Whether it's narcissism, growing up too quickly, addictive behavior, etc.. she's young and I hope she has another chance at life. I would never stand in judgment of another human- none of us walks in her shoes- why don't we all emit some positivity and hope (or pray if you believe)in her wellness, as well as the re-training of doctors who will do whatever they're told by Big Pharma and Stars: (I feel the same way about psychiatrists who would see our youth on speed because they are bored in class, due to uneducated teachers and politically-correct, garbage curricula).
This is coming from someone who now HAS to use MANY medications, for rheumatoid arthritis, two spinal fusions and Lupus. When one is challenged, one tends to pray others find a path that is positive- this is my wish for this young woman- regardless of her past choices.