Adderall May Have

Unhinged Lindsay Lohan

8/20/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's Adderall dependence -- the result of a medical misdiagnosis -- may have been the reason she went off the rails.

081910_lindsay_lohan_getty
As we first reported, the docs at the UCLA rehab facility believe Lindsay was misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ... and was prescribed Adderall to treat the phantom affliction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- a prominent L.A. addiction specialist -- tells TMZ ... people who take Adderall when they don't need it can experience similar effects as people who use cocaine or methamphetamine.

Dr. Haraszti tells us ... people who unnecessarily take Adderall can display manic symptoms ... and often do things like "driving around until all hours of the morning ... smoking heavily ... tweeting ... and texting all night long." The doc adds, "They can become very impulsive."

The doc also notes that people in that situation "might then complain of insomnia and then take Ambien or other sleep aids to help fall asleep ... it's a vicious cycle"

Dr. Marc Kern -- another addiction expert -- tells us alcohol abuse is also very common among patients who take Adderall.

Dr. Kern tells us, "The Adderall counteracts the sedative side effects of alcohol use … making these people often drink more than someone who does not take the drug."

Bottom line -- a bad medical diagnosis may have set the ball rolling that unhinged Lindsay's life.

Linda

A person that takes adderall and they dont really need it act like a person doing meth or coke. I cant imagine how she was when she did coke. I just hope she does what the doctors tell her to do. She will feel better and start enjoying her life. Her thinking will straighten up and she will make better choices. Teachers try to tell me my son had ADHD and it was just total bull****. There are natural ways to treat this problem without drugs. If she didnt really need the drug I bet it affected her thinking just like being on coke. I hope she gets better and rises up again because shes a good actress.Some of these doctors that are reg. MD try to treat people with mental issues and they make things worse.If you think you have issue like adhd or depression or whatever go to a doctor that treats these issues.stay away from Reg doctors.

pammie8

I have migraines that take me out for days at a time and only going to the hospital to get meds make them go away, but I dont have a prescrip for demerol.
Posted at 3:07 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by spinner25
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just as a sidenote which is actually kind of funny, addreall will cure a migraine is less then an hour! I use to take addreall when I was in my early twenties and I would wake up with a migraine. Usually Im the same way I cant get out of bed for days and need to just lay in a dark room and have total silence with a little puke bucket next to my bed.

I would take my daily dose of adderall and it would be gone just like that! I have no idea why they are not researching this drug for it. My husband also gets migraines and he would take one with the same result. My doctor gives me a script for 10 20mg pills at a time and it lasts for 6 months to a year.

pammie8

Now let's leave Lindsay Lohan alone. I want to see her only as an actress, with a private life that stays private.

Posted at 1:11 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by aston
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well moron its up to her to keep her private life private! She never seems to want that with her constant famewhoring for the cameras. Its well know her and her mother call the paps and give them a heads up where they will be.
She brought this all on herself. There are plenty of other stars with drug addictions and such that you never know about and are shocked to hear they went to rehab.
Just another idiot enabling fan!

Banbury

It has long been known that Adderall is used in Hollywood as a diet drug. Glamor Magazine ran a story on it years ago. I am sure that there are many in Hollywood that have been "misdiagnosed" with ADHD just so they can get their hands on this drug. Shame we have so many corrupt doctors, agents, managers...and in this case moms, who encourage these women to go to these extremes.

Donovan

It wasn't a freakin bad medical diagnosis, quit spinning in that way. Everyone knows that they all take that to keep weight off and the doctors file it under ADHD so they can get away with it. She took it, just like they all do, for weight loss. Don't make her out to be some victim of a medical diagnosis, she knew what she was doing.

Gail Tucker

she is an addict and addicts go to doctors and get prescriptions for meds to get high. end of story. why are the people around her so willing to provide drugs and excuses for her. Lindsey and her stories are getting old.

Muppet

How many of the kids in High School on ADHD medication does have the illness?

Maybe 10% of those who gets the prescription!

In most western countries the number of kids on ADHD medication is only 10 percent of the number on medication in the U.S. I don't believe that the kids in the U.S. High School system are so much weaker than the average high school kid abroad, so 90% of the kids must be misdiagnosed.

It is not Lindsay's fault that she is on this medical. It is her parents fault. She has been on them as long as she can remember. Try to count how many of the member of Mickey Mouse club actors and actresses who have forced on to medication by their parents so they can provide an income for their family.

Lindsay's story is about the ambitions of her parents. The same goes for kids on the school system who are so-called unruly and can not get the grades their parents believe is possible. It is an ordinary story about an ordinary girl. We only learn of this because Lindsay is in the media, but you can go down to the nearest high school and get the same story from there.

Parents must let their children underperform if their children is not emotionally ready to do their best. The alternative is to create new Lindsay-copies!!

Posted at 12:47 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by Peter Sc

I couldn't agree with you more!! I like to think we're finally pulling out of the "adhd era". Far too many people have been misdiagnosed with adhd. It was a label doctors used to control unruly children and one parents used because alot of them just couldn't be bothered to allow their children to grow up. Sad but true, and only now are we seeing the effect of that "era". Time for people to realize children misbehave and they need guidance NOT a pill shoved down their throats.

dotcom

what doctor talks to tabloids about a patient in their care? NONE!

she probably was taking the adderall to keep the weight down.

Lori

Wow, there are lots of arm-chair psychiatrists on here diagnosing a person from the media clips they have seen of her over the years. I'd be willing to bet that 99.999999% of you have no medical training - your "skills" come from something silly like, "my friend's mother's uncle has ADHD and..." Riciculous. A true medical professional would not attempt to diagnose a person from contrived snippets of her life and movie roles! Personally, I hope this turns out to be an accurate story and that L.L. is finally getting the help she needs to be happy and lead a fulfilling life. She is a person, with real feelings, and real worth. Stop bashing her and wish her well. What if she were your sister, daughter, best friend? Wouldn't you hope there was a way for her to get better? Grow up, idiots.

pammie8

Posted at 12:47 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by Peter Sc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ill agree with that mostly except its not even about under performing anymore. Its about kids being kids, little boys horsing around like little boys should and little girls who daydream. Some children just do not learn and are not interested in a school environment, truthfully its just not that stimulating. So the only obvious answer is to drug them right?

mousetrap

People are way over complicating this situation and that means the judge included. Does she really have ADHD, doesn't she, should she be taking pain killers, is she some kind of hopeless addict who is going to die soon. Blah, blah, blah. She's a young 20 something year old who likes to party and get loaded and drink with her friends and take mind altering prescriptions. Bad, ya. Could it lead to some serious addictions problems, maybe. Is it all that uncommon for people her age, not really. There's a good chance she'll grow up and snap out of it like a lot of them do. Or it could escalate. If you want to see people who really have a problem go visit the midwestern housewife who pulls a bottle of vodka out of her nightstand before getting out of bed so she can make it downstairs in the morning without having a seizure or the herion addict who is using around the clock or the person who is popping 10 vicodin to keep from throwing up. Lindsey is just a spoiled little brat that needs to grow up and realize the party is over.

Amber

"Misdiagnosed"? My ass... I know from personal experience the effects of Adderal or Ritalin on a person not suffering for ADHD... that is why it is taken, the effects are that of a legal form of speed...keeps you goin, keeps you thin...I would figure it was suggested to her Doc Hollywood that she may have ADHD...Just like the commercials say- "Ask you doctor about ____ today!"

Lemonade

If she was wrongly prescribed Adderall,why didn't she and Dina go back to the MD and say, "Doctor, these pills are making me wacked-out - I can't take them. They are making me do things I wouldn't normally do?"

Instead, she keeps taking them and runs riot all the while knowing its making her nuts? I call BS on this story!

mia

A stupid chick who worked for my brother, a doctor, stole a prescription pad and was forging Adderall scripts for herself. She was so stupid she thought she would get away with it.
LL is a lying thieving idiot.

Bill F. Murray

Let's rethink this...

1)We blame everyone else...docs for misdiagnosing & prescribing wrong meds, judicial system for wrongful prosecution, rehab clinics for not seeing the "real" issue.
2)Lindsay gets released, Lohan clan sues everyone involved and makes millions.
3)Now a millionaire again, Lindsay doesn't need to make any more of her ****ty movies, instead is f*cked up 24/7, making an @ss of herself all over the world before being found dead in a hotel room of an overdose.

Sounds good to me, TEAM LINDS! LOL