Adderall May Have

Unhinged Lindsay Lohan

8/20/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's Adderall dependence -- the result of a medical misdiagnosis -- may have been the reason she went off the rails.

081910_lindsay_lohan_getty
As we first reported, the docs at the UCLA rehab facility believe Lindsay was misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ... and was prescribed Adderall to treat the phantom affliction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- a prominent L.A. addiction specialist -- tells TMZ ... people who take Adderall when they don't need it can experience similar effects as people who use cocaine or methamphetamine.

Dr. Haraszti tells us ... people who unnecessarily take Adderall can display manic symptoms ... and often do things like "driving around until all hours of the morning ... smoking heavily ... tweeting ... and texting all night long." The doc adds, "They can become very impulsive."

The doc also notes that people in that situation "might then complain of insomnia and then take Ambien or other sleep aids to help fall asleep ... it's a vicious cycle"

Dr. Marc Kern -- another addiction expert -- tells us alcohol abuse is also very common among patients who take Adderall.

Dr. Kern tells us, "The Adderall counteracts the sedative side effects of alcohol use … making these people often drink more than someone who does not take the drug."

Bottom line -- a bad medical diagnosis may have set the ball rolling that unhinged Lindsay's life.

Will to Self Motivate

OKAY, listen up people. Lindsay is definitely an addict. I am currently in rehab, and we are learning about addiction, and it is a disease of the brain.

You begin to change your brain chemistry and the brain itself. If she wasn't an addict before she starting use, her use over the years has changed her brain, so that she is now an addict.

It's too complicated to explain the whole thing now, but be assured, you can get over the physical addiction, but your brain has changed forever. It may be able to regenerate itself over time, but it still has the "addict" receptors, and you have that for life. You can NEVER go back to controlled or social use, as it triggers the receptors, and you go right back to where you left off. You may be in recovery, but your disease keeps progressing, so it requires COMPLETE ABSTINENCE for the rest of your life. The disease is always there waiting patiently for the drug that makes the "pleasure pathway" feel good again.

Over the last decade they have made leaps and bounds of discovery in the area of alcoholism/addiction. Your brain does NOT differentiate between this drug or that drug, they all affect the receptors and create the pleasure pathway the same and your drug begins to make the brain no longer produce your "feel-good" natural chemicals and it waits for your drug to do the job your natural chemicals would do to make you feel good. That's why when you withdraw from a drug, your brain is STARVING to feel good, until it can regenerate enough to once again produce the serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins that naturally make you feel good. But, once again, the receptors of the neurons are still waiting and hungry for that dope. So, you can NEVER, EVER use again, as you reactivate the whole brain dysfunction over again. Your brain has been permanently altered and will never be "normal" again.

Anyway, if you want to learn more about the REAL science of addiction, google Dr. Valoskow, who is the preeminent expert in the area of addiction. You will learn A LOT.

Lindsay needs major help. She is in TOTAL, TOTAL denial, which in and of itself is a major symptom of the disease.

Good luck trying to control your use, Lindsay. If you can't remain clean and sober, I predict that you will "die before your time".

Bill F. Murray

What is tatooed on her left forearm?

Posted at 8:45 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by bevmax
---------------
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough...and doggone it, people like me!"

amy90009

HIPPA?? It is ridiculous that this information (if true) is getting out! I know she's a "celebrity" and that is why everyone is so curious... but regardless of who these sources are, we will never know exactly what is going on. And then having a doctor who has not even seen Lohan comment on the situation is even more irresponsible. This is a serious issue, with very serious privacy concerns, that TMZ is treating in such a flippant manner.

benice

I was diagnosed with adhd as an adult and put on Adderall. It was a miracle drug at first. Cured me of so many physical symptoms I didn't even know I had. BUT, it also made me smoke like crazy (after I quit years ago), made me euphoric and so blissful i just laid around listening to music, also made me want to share my amazing insights with everyone. I got off it. I also had a load of mercury fillings in my mouth, had candida (yeast overgrowth), and low thyroid, pyroluria (extreme deficiency of zinc/b6). Probably could chalk it all up to mercury poisoning. But, aaaahhh..can't talk about that. Must shut up and take our drugs like good little American citizens.

Mikey

She's a mental case pure and simple. She's 24 years old and has been in rehab 4 times already. All these Lohans do is lie and blame others for there problems. Now its the adderall's fault. LOL.

Lindsay Lohan is a nut job.

Next thing we'll hear is the adderall turned her into a lesbian....

JLS

Wow, TMZ! Talk about a reversal of position on Lindsay Lohan! From watching her self destruct because of her addictions to explaining them away in the end. Why so intensely on the hunt to do this? Interesting.

Kim

Adderall does not affect everyone the same. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and on various medications for many years. When his doctor switched him to Adderall (at age 13) he went crazy doing things he would never have done before: setting bottle rockets off in the house, creeping around outside in the middle of the night. His personality also changed for the worse -- aggressive. I told the doctor about this strange behavior and the doctor thought I was crazy. I took my son off the medication and he became his normal self again in about 10 days. No more drugs for him.

pammie8

@Jeffro11

Hey! :)

Nooooooo she turned you over to the darkside!!!!

cali

This 24 year old young lady dosent look like a 44 barfly because she's taking care of herself

rigatoni66

Not that she, or people in her life, shouldn't take some responsibility for catching this sooner, but...

I have a type of hyperactivity disorder and I assumed I had ADHD. The shrink told me he could give me Adderall (I asked for it) but that if I took it and had the thing I have and not ADHD, It could make me bat**** crazy.

I take other medication for the disorder I do have, but the doctor wouldn't even start trying until I assured him I had a support system in place to watch out for changes in behavior.

mary

Lets tell the truth here. Lindsey was taking Adderall to get that size 0 Hollywood look. They all take it. It has nothing to do with ADD or ADHD in Hollywood.

MissAnn

She was not "misdiagnosed". She sought these pills out from a Dr. who would prescribe them for her knowing she did not have ADHD. She's known all along she didn't need these. This doesn't prove anything other than her ability to manipulate doctors into giving her legal drugs.

SayWhat

What is tatooed on her left forearm?

Posted at 8:45 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by bevmax
---------------
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough...and doggone it, people like me!"

Posted at 8:58 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by Jeffro11
====================================
LMAO! excellent!

Bill F. Murray

@Jeffro11

Hey! :)

Nooooooo she turned you over to the darkside!!!!

Posted at 9:50 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by pammie8
---------------------
Yup, LL is just a misunderstood 'artist'. Can't wait til she gets sprung from rehab and we all go party down Tony Montana style. Pass the coke spoon, Dina!

(If you're buying that, I have a cool bridge in NYC that I want to sell ya, cheap.)

darkrage6

Well this definitely does explain Lindsay's behavior an awful lot, it really sucks that her life got so screwed up all because of a misdiagnosis from a quack doctor who should be fired and sued for every penny, and her greedy parents as well. But am I glad to hear that Lindsay is doing much better now and I truly hope she can recover and get her life back on track.