Whitney Cummings: I May've Gone Too Far at 'Roast'

8/20/2010 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Whitney Cummings claims she's "not a horrible person" -- despite the barrage of insults she hurled at Comedy Central's Roast of David Hasselhoff ... though she may have one regret.

Whitney Cummings Roast
As you may remember -- Cummings sent jaws to the floor at The Hoff's Roast when she suggested that Hulk Hogan's daughter Brooke, along with Pam Anderson, should both drink a "vat of Magic Johnson's blood."

But last night outside Sam Tripoli's Naughty Night at the Improv on Melrose -- she admitted, "I did say some things about [Hulk's] daughter that weren't necessary ... but I don't think I was the meanest."

Cummings -- who has a Comedy Central special of her own on the way -- also noted, "It's a Roast ... the idea is to be edgy and mean."

Siggy

Dan

She wasn't at her best on the Roast. She is better on Chelsea Lately and like the other blogger said, Chelsea Handler just is NOT funny. Esp when she was on stage in Boston drunk. She bombed

deb

BIG DEAL. I like Whitney, and thought she rocked on the special. Her jokes were hysterical. and i laugh how TMZ puts stars in the first part of Whitney's last name C.U.M.MINGS

interest-ing

wow, she made it on TMZ, now I've been made aware of her for the first time.(3 seconds later)whoops! who are we talking about?

Criss

I thought she was pretty damn funny on the roast and comics should never have to apologize for being insensitive. Comedy isn't always nice. Not everybody is Bill Cosby or Brian Regan.

Hutch

"I saw her bit and it wasn't really that funny. The joke about the Hulk's daughter was OVER THE LINE. Hell, all of them crossed the line because they were insulting one another and then one or two barbs at the Hoff. Honestly they need to quit with the "Lisa Lampinelli's vagina is so big..." "jokes" they just aren't that funny.

Posted at 12:10 PM on Aug 20, 2010 by Siggy"

In roasts, Siggy, there are no lines. Everything is fair game. That's the spirit of a roast.

BA

Her set was the highlight of the roast. She has nothing to be sorry for. Pam was on the panel just like everyone else so she was fair game.

iamsuperdan

Mary P - How do you get through life without being able to poke fun at the things that scare us? It's a way of coping with the ugliness that's out there. It's a way of people showing they're not afraid of their illnesses and are not going to let it stop them from enjoying life.

My friend that has AIDS laughs at it. He was told that he would be dead by the end of the year. That was 6 years ago.

I have / had friends with cancer. The ones that made it are the ones that stay positive and didn't let it consume them. They laughed at it, they did things that mocked the whole cancer movement, they laughed at cancer jokes. The friends (two) that died of cancer let it eat at them. They were the ones that lost all sense of humour about everything. In the end it was a relief to see them pass on, as they just weren't enjoying life anymore.

So when people make fun of a race, or a sexual orientation, or a colour, I say more power to them. I laugh along with them, and will continue to laugh at everyone and everything.

including blondes dying horrible draing deaths, just for being blonde.

spinner25

News flash people: A lot of "horrible" jokes were cut from the footage, from each speaker.

ALSO: That's the point of a roast. There ARE certain off limit topics that everyone must abide by. Everything else is free game.

ALSO #2: Much worse things were said at Pamela Anderson's roast.

Tracy

Whitney and Lisa Lampanelli were the funniest comics there. If you don't want stuff said about you or possibly your family, then don't go to the damn thing!

Dylan

I don't even understand how this is funny? That's the problem with these roasts. I've watched a couple and no one is clever anymore, it's just a contest to see who can make headlines for being the grossest or meanest or say the most shocking thing, even if it isn't funny. Too many comedians just rely on the "shock factor" rather than actually coming up with good material. Anyone can think of and say something horribly shocking, but being a comedian use to be an art form.

Marsha

I found it disgusting - making fun of "The Hoff" is one thing - making fun of the other comedians is fine - but to say something so totally without feeling about someone's daughter breaks all the rules and is not at all funny. It was not an attempt at humor, but a slap in the face - she is lucky Hulk didn't beat the Sh@% out of her

c

Well, sure, the point is to be mean to the person getting roasted. So if you're making attacks on others who have nothing to do with it then, yeah, you're just being a bi tch.

John Stone

She is an idiot.

Throwback kid

I think she is funny! but then again I still call little people midgets and African Americans black!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments