« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jay Mariotti, Famous Sports Columnist, Arrested in LA

8/21/2010 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ESPN personality and popular sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested this morning in Los Angeles, this according to the L.A. County Sheriff's Department website.

0821_Jay_Mariotti_GETTY_BN
Mariotti was arrested on a felony charge at 4:30 AM -- a police source tells us it is a domestic violence charge.

He was held on $50,000 bail and released shortly after noon.

Mariotti is a regular on the ESPN show "Around the Horn" and a writer for the popular sports website Fanhouse.com.

UPDATE: A rep for ESPN said the network had no comment.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bobdunk

I lived in Chicago for 30 years and spent 10 of them with the Cubs, handling PR. Marriotti, by far, was the biggest %$&*** I ran across in all that time. Once, when I was quoted in his column, he got the quotes all mixed up and in that column ripped my dad, who had fought in WWII in the submarine division at Pearl Harbor. He thought he was being cute. Well, karma is a bitch, isn't it? Jay, I hope someone in jail delivers a clever message to you up Hershey Highway, bro. How does it feel now, Jay-Boy!

tabloidjunk

What I find so funny is this man's articles are alwways front and center on the AOL webpage tearing into and tearing down athletes. Yet, not one mentioning of his actions to be found on AOL webpage or FanHouse site.

He acted like the Pope in regards to Tiger Woods and here he is beating up on a woman because she FLIRTED with a man.. Talk about DUMB move. Well, what do you expect from an self-righteous egomaniac. Guess he felt the woman should have recognized who she was with..

spike

Glad that ignorant S.O.B. got arrested. Around the Horn will be a lot better now. Now if we could get rid of that whinny Michael Smith, we would have a great show !

kevin

I don't like Jay much, but I know how this goe's . girlfriends mad because she didn't get what she wanted, calls cops you go to jail all the while she sits back lies to the police and laughs not that funny is it Jay?

bob

as someone who has worked for the past 31 years in the newspaper industry i'm glad to see this traitor finally get exposed.

Brian

the man who wouldn't go into a locker room for a quote - based players and coaches and threatened to sue anyone who touched him.....well, Jay - i hope your "girlfriend" sues you for whatever you have as you used to say in chicago, "if you touch me, my lawyers will take all you have" .....and what kind of a MAN - hits a woman? oh that's right a douche bag!

Bob

The most negative writer whilee in Chicago. Al Capones twin.
BYE BYE

dsw

Will he be as opinionated about this subject as he is on around the horn?

KWEEF

CARMAS A BITCH I JUST WONDER WHAT A DONKIE LIKE THIS WILL SAY ABOUT THIS PERSON (HIMSELF) WHO WAS CARGED BUT NOT CONVICTED YES CARMA IS A BITCH

Don

"In my mind, this was a step forward in what will be a long, if also impossible, journey toward salvaging his career and life. If Woods never wins another major and is remembered more for his stunning free-fall than his monumental successes, at least he can say he cared deeply about his kids and their formative years after scarring them with his sleazy behavior. I mean, isn't that what we've demanded from him since the scandals of last winter, that he be a better father and person? In the end, isn't it much more important to help his two children through a wicked divorce and the inevitable social wounds than win his elusive five major titles?"......

Out of the mouth of a hypocrite..........

janeyre

I am still sitting here reading the comments. At least I am not the only one to say: Wonder what he is going to write about not? Always beating up people in the sports arena. Serena Williams, can you give your point of view on this hypocrite?

Bob Koenig

What goes around, comes around.

frankie

WHAT A JACKASS,YOU CAN TELL HE IS ANNOYING AND UNLIKABLE MOROON BUT HE REALLY SCREWED UP NOW,LOOKS LIKE THERE WILL BE MORE COMPITION OUT THERE FOR SELLING ICE CREAM IN A LITTLE WHITE TRUCK,OH WELL

michael

He should of told her from the beginning. When the hand goes up the mouth goes shut!. I agree he is a douche bag

Anthony

I am going to ENJOY ATH a whole lot better now with Jay gone.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments