« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chyna -- Bugging Out Over Nasty Insect Bite

8/26/2010 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Another disgusting story about a bug bite -- this time the victim is former WWE star Chyna ... who claims a poisonous spider chomped on her leg, causing so much swelling ... that her doc sent her to the hospital.

0825_chyna_bug_EX
Problem is -- Chyna didn't go to the ER because she claims, "It would have cost too much." So, according to her, she played doctor instead ... and operated on herself with a Swiss Army knife.

Chyna says she used the knife to essentially dig out the swollen golf ball sized lump that had formed in her leg ... leaving a pretty nasty, bloody crater. She then doused the wound in hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin ... but Chyna tells us she's in so much pain, she "can barely walk."

No word on what kind of spider is responsible for the carnage -- all Chyna knows is that the culprit attacked her while she was changing a toilet in her L.A. home sometime last month.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

LongJohn69

Dr. LongJohn say Scabies or Ringworm.

Bren

Note to self: Do not visit TMZ while eating lunch.

sara

That's grosse. She really needs to go to the doc. Being a nurse myself in a doctors office, most of the time people come in for "spider bites", turns out to be MRSA.

jn

Her hands must be HUGE if what was removed was the size of golf ball. Pic shows finger next to wound, its half the size of a finger nail. TMZ is a small bug bit news worthy?

Elizabeth

She's a fool. What she has is a STAPH infection, (MRSA) and if she doesn't get to the hospital ASAP she will die. These infections are not responsive to hydrogen peroxide nor to neosporin. She will likely need an IV antibiotic such as vancomyacin that she will have to be attached to for a month or two. If she is in that much pain it could already be too late for her. I hope to God someone in the medical community talks to her before it is too late. My cousin had a staph infection of this nature, but unlike this fool she got treatment for it.

Bob.A.Booie

A spider is all that would want to get inside of that Herman Munster look alike

janalal4

I call BS on this one. That's a pretty well demarcated wound, for a home hatchet job. And one of the pictures shows someone lifting Nu Gauze (all you in the business know what that is) out of that wound, and you don't get that stuff off the shelf at the local Walgreen's. Matter of fact, most nonhealth care folks wouldn't know to pack a wound like that. Phfft, bullcrap.

Posted at 2:36 AM on Aug 26, 2010 by Nurse!!

DITTO!!! I'll call myself 'Nurse II' since I myself am an RN. 'Nurse' you are absolutely correct. The edges of this wound are faaaaaaaarrrrr too well defined to have been 'operated on with a Swiss Army knife. I call BS as well!! My own daughter had some sort of 'cyst' or could have been an insect/spider bite of some sort(cannot say for sure since neither she nor I ever saw the responsible 'bug', nor can she say for sure she was actually bitten since she never felt a thing but of course, it could have happened in her self although this is doubtful. I would have thought the pain alone upon being bitten would have been enough to wake her but like I said, just can't say for sure). I also doubt this was a brown recluse as well because the pain & swelling that would have occurred just don't seem to have been present unless this article simply doesn't include all 'the facts'. A brown recluse spider bite is accompanied by intense swelling, discoloration, & especially tissue loss in the surrounding area because the venom is so toxic. It causes the tissue around the bite to actually 'die' & slough off. In the most severe cases I have seen, the victim had to be placed in the intensive care unit due to 'shortness of breath' caused when the venom entered the patients bloodstream & circulated to the lungs/heart. There is a huge riskof respiratory/heart failure when this occurs so you want the bite victim in the ICU where respiratory resuscitative measures are readily available/i.e. a 'ventilator' if necessary. Just wanted to pass along this info to those interested but....yes, 'nurse' your right on target! Chyna appears to be a drama queen who feels the need to reinforce her 'tough girl' image I suppose?!

She is essentially full o' crap on this one:)

The pic accompanying this article shows the gauze packing that is placed inside the wound may or may not be 'infused' with a 'medication' or betadine(an antiseptic) which absorbs the drainage usually present with wounds like this & this packing is usually removed anywhere from 24-72hrs or so.

Yep, Chyna's trying to pass off some serious BS here cause one certainly would wonder: if she operated on herself with a Swiss Army knife, how did she 'know' that it needed to be packed as it obviously was with the Nu-Gauze?? I suppose she just happened to 'know this' & ran down the street to the Rite-Aid & picked up the gauze to pack her own wound, hmmmm??? Yeah, right. I just couldn't stop laughing when I read this one! These celebrities are just A BIG OL' HOOT!!

Mandi

I got bit by a brown recluse spider 10 years ago. After 7 days in the hospital and a lenthy surgery I had a hole in my leg 6x8 wide and 3inches deep. I went the day it happend and the docs sent me home with antibiotic and benadryl. Told me to come back in 48hrs if it wasnt better. By the time I went back it was black and all down my thigh. If I would have left it alone for even 1 more day I would have lose my whole leg not just a big chunck. Go get it seen abot asap!

doc

maybe she will turn into spiderwoman

corky

No money to buy health insurance? Where is all her moolah??

Meagan

That is a staph infection!

janalal4

Posted at 8:51 AM on Aug 26, 2010 by Elizabeth

Elizabeth, it 'may' or 'may not' be MRSA. My daughter had this type of wound which was lanced, drained, then packed in the ER. It was also 'cultured'(sticking a sterile q-tip in & swabbing the wound then sending it to the lab where it is grown out onto a petri dish then examined under a microscope to determine the organism in question growing within the wound). Without these bacterial cultures being performed there is no way of telling whether or not she has MRSA. You cannot simply 'look' at a wound & tell whether or not it is 'growing MRSA'.

'I' myself had MRSA & this was determined only after my wound was cultured. For those interested, MRSA is an extremely fast-growing heath-risk these days & it is worth mentioning here that ANYONE could be at risk. It is also VERY EASY TO GET. This is what happened to me: I was scrubbing a pot with a brillo pad & normally I would have used rubber gloves but was in a hurry. A couple days later I noticed my finger was extremely tender & then it began to get red. A blister developed which began to fill with pus. It was a VERY tiny lesion which I thought nothing of. I washed it with soap & water & slapped some Neosporin on it & a bandaid. A couple days later, the wound had gotten bigger. I began aggressively washing several times a day & continued using Neosporin & before I knew it, my finger had turned PURPLE & gotten 'cold' to the touch! NOT GOOD! I went to the ER because it appeared that my circulation to my finger had become compromised. I had a CT scan done & lo' & behold, I had osteomyelitis which meant the infection had gone to the bone in my finger. The wound was cultured & returned positive for MRSA which means not only was the MRSA in my tissues & bloodstream but had gone clear to my bone as well. Yikes! I was immediately hospitalized(much to my displeasure! lol) & a PIC line was inserted into my arm( a very LARGE & LONG IV, basically which is threaded into the upper arm & the tip of the IV sits in the vessel near the right atrium of the heart), I was sent home with this PIC line & had to self-infuse a special antibiotic twice a day into this PIC line. Elizabeth you are absolutely correct. MRSA(methicillin resistant staph aureus) basically means that most antibiotics do NOT work. There are very few that do. It can go 'systemic' on you, meaning that your whole body can be riddled with it before you know it if you leave it untreated. That is why a simple prick with a brillo pad turned into such a huge deal so fast for me. MRSA is nasty! It's nothing to play with. I was on these IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. So take care everyone when you get even the simplest of cuts or wounds & when they don't heal rapidly, make sure you have them checked out! Take it from me:)

tom terrific

Jesus F*****g Christ.

Go to the ER now. Do not stop. Do not pass go.

You could end up with an infection that results in your leg getting amputated.

Wake up and smell your festering wound. Go to the ER.

ginny

nice circle for a pocket knife, maybe a burn gone bad! drop your pipe on it babe!!

Margaret

I'm guessing that no one has noticed that the picture that shows a close up of the hole looks WAY TOO SKINNY to be any part of her leg, esp. the area where the bit supposedly is. Looks like a forearm, maybe, but not her leg. Seriously, I don't think that wound is hers.