Blue Power Ranger:

I Quit Show Over Gay Insults

8/26/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The guy who played the Blue Ranger on the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" series has just revealed that he's gay -- and dropped a huge bombshell ... that he quit the show because he was harassed over his sexuality.

Blue Power Ranger Gay

Actor David Yost -- who played the B.R. from 1993 to 1996 -- just gave an interview to "No Pink Spandex" -- and explained, "I was called 'f*ggot' one too many times [by the show's] creators, producers, writers, directors."

Yost added, "I know that my co-stars were called in a couple of times to different producers' offices and questioned about my sexuality, which is kind of a humiliating experience to find that out."

Yost claims it got so bad on the show that he became "worried that I might take my own life."

Instead, Yost took a break from Hollywood ... and only recently decided to start acting again.

Calls to Saban Entertainment -- which produced Power Rangers -- have not been returned.

tiffany

He's not bothering anyone! Get off it! Leave the man alone.

Shawn

Lol emo Lol

Tammy

Given that Power Rangers was a show for kids, I can see why the producers would be concerned. Homosexuals are still in the minority and producers who want the heterosexual majority to spend money on their franchise have every right to be concerned how a homosexual on their show will impact their bottom line. I'm not saying I agree with them, but it's all about the bejamins and homosexuality wasn't getting you to bank in 1996.

Dan

I hope he finds some new acting jobs with that impressive resume

1993 - 1996 Hollywood, CA Gay Blue Power Ranger
1996 - 2010 Somewhere, US Reliving Gay Blue Power Ranger time

Mr. X

Leaving aside the normal litany of stupid comments...

FTR, Saban once again produces Power Rangers; they bought back the rights from Disney.

ellen

Waaa, Waaaaa, Waaaaa

texasknight1

Why must we continue discussing this lame blue ranger

everyone in the world thats NORMAL fell in love with AMY JO JOHNSON.. HARVEY@TMZ LOOK THIS UP!...

that girl had the original APPLE Bottom!

post a pic... Who would ya??? Pink or Blue...LOL... .im down with the pink ranger ANY DAY!

Amyjo for the win!

Vanessa

He was my favorite ranger.
First Magneto's gay.
I hear Dumbledore's gay.
Now this?
My whole childhood was gay and full of lies.
Triceratops never existed. T-rex was a wuss.
But worst of all, they took away Pluto's planet status

Vanessa

Holy crap, I just found out the original yellow ranger died in 01. Thuy Trang. Sad.

Didn't know that was her in The Crow either.

jessemosslover

Im pretty sure this guy dated Kelly Packard (of California Dreams fame) back then. Guess we know why that didnt work out.

Cubs 2010

"Acting??" Is that what they call what they did on that show?

JJ

I really think a lot of people writing the comments to this story should stop and think about their own personal lives. Chances are, most everyone has something in their personal life that they feel should be kept PERSONAL. So I ask, how would you deal with it if you were the celebrity that was being flaunted all over some so called news site like TMZ. I mean come on people, hes gay, so what. There's no need to make a big deal about it. There's a lot of gay people out there, its 2010 get over it!! Oh and to David... Once a ranger, always a ranger!

Gogo

Is is just me or the thought that they were called Mighty MORPHIN power rangers, just makes me laugh????

Get over it..

This is "breaking news"??

jealous of kate

what I don't understand is that this was filmed in CA in culver city in 1993-1996. I would suspect that there had to be other gay people in the cast or at least on the crew then HIM. It wasn't like they were filming in Japan where I might understand the hate a bit more. But in Hollywood in the 90s???? Gays were coming out all over the place, why would they have a problem? Or did HE make it a problem? You know, like Perez Hilton, everything has a gay agenda?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments