Comedian Robert Schimmel

in Serious Car Accident

8/28/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned famous comedian Robert Schimmel was involved in a car accident on Thursday in Arizona and is currently in "very serious" condition.

0828_rober_shimmel_EX_getty
We're told Schimmel's 19-year-old daughter was driving at the time and Schimmel was in the passenger seat. Sources tell us the daughter swerved to avoid an accident in her lane and the car rolled over on to the side of the freeway.

Schimmel's daughter was hospitalized and is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery. His 11-year-old son was also in the car -- he was released without injuries the same day.

As for Schimmel, we're told he is still in the hospital and in "very serious" condition and his family is at his bedside.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

Baba Booey

I hope he has a good life insurance policy! RIP Robbie. I loved your HBO special.

TTW

I used to work at a comedy club in L.A. called the L. A. Cabaret. Robert Schimmel was a regular there, and I got to know him a little. He was ALWAYS a nice, pleasant, polite kind of guy, and he was HYSTERICAL. In those days, NOBODY was as funny as he was, and I can remember laughing so hard, I could hardly breathe. He had a way of saying dirty things in a REALLY funny, non offensive way. I particularly remember one night, there was a table full of older, very grey haired women, and he had them HOWLING!!! So bless you, Robert. Laughter IS the best medicine, so if ANYBODY should be able to get better, you should! "What if John Holmes wrote the book? I couldn't get to the B-spot!" I STILL laugh, thirty years later. THAT'S FUNNY!!!

ronk

Best wishes to Robert, & his daughter and son's, full recovery. Robert has had a rough and maybe not so stellar life. But his warm nature and comiedic side helped my best friend through his bought with cancer, major surgery, chemo and radiation treatments. He corresponded almost daily, along with visits and finally somewhat hosted a show inviting all of us to celebrate my friends clean bill of health. Robert thank you for all your encourgement. God Bless You.

SG

Detroit will be praying for you Bob and your family. We hope you recover and get your liver. This is something you can tackle, just take it easy. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Noel

I've been lucky enough to meet Robert a couple of times and have to say he is a very very nice man. He was very compassionate to my friend who's son died of cancer at about the same age as Robert's son died. I hate the idea that he left his wife for his daughter's friend, but then the guy has been through a LOT and I am in no position to judge. I really hope he pulls through okay. He is the funniest person on the planet.

Janny

This poor man has taken more sh*t than a toilet!
My thoughts and prayers are with you Robert,one of the funniest men in comedy...ever!

jewishwoman

We love you, Bob!

Get Real

Posted at 7:56 PM on Aug 28, 2010 by fredsdead:
"Somewhere Howard Stern is laughing because he's that kind of guy."
----------------------

If you listened to Stern's show this morning, you would know that your statement is completely opposite to the truth.

Go grind your ax somewhere else.

Rob

While Schimmel has made some really dumb decisions in his personal life, he's a also a very kind and charitable man. He's probably the best stand up comedian I've heard in the last 20 years too. My prayers go out to he and his family.

MARY ANNE DORSI

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. Please get well soon.

tyler

a life is a life i think he is funny as hell on stage what he dose off stage is of no care to me as long as he is not touching kids you all need to shut the hell up

rottenkidneys

Most all of you are sick

Robert is a funny guy. I hope all comes through with him

Christine

Yeah.....everybody is soo clean here and swift to judge !!
NOBODY is perfect !
I hope you ALL burn in hell !!!!!!!!
Get a ****ing life !!

Tony

"Maybe she can blow the mechanic for the deductible."

Diana

Wow, judge much? He's a funny guy who's had some terrible things happen in his life, lost a son, cancer, needs a liver transplant (from hep C, not drinking). He and his first wife a good friends, she's forgiven him. No one deserves the cards he's been dealt.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments