Comedian Robert Schimmel

in Serious Car Accident

8/28/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned famous comedian Robert Schimmel was involved in a car accident on Thursday in Arizona and is currently in "very serious" condition.

0828_rober_shimmel_EX_getty
We're told Schimmel's 19-year-old daughter was driving at the time and Schimmel was in the passenger seat. Sources tell us the daughter swerved to avoid an accident in her lane and the car rolled over on to the side of the freeway.

Schimmel's daughter was hospitalized and is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery. His 11-year-old son was also in the car -- he was released without injuries the same day.

As for Schimmel, we're told he is still in the hospital and in "very serious" condition and his family is at his bedside.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

a friend

Heard he passed away - my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Anastasia

Damn, RIP dude....You will be missed!

tipppintown

Heard he passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

M Wow

I loved his humor. Sorry to hear this.

Don

You were so funny and I truly enjoyed your DVD's and you will be missed. I am sorry for your daughter who will blame herself for this tragedy for her entire life. God bless you and your family and give your daughter the strength to move on in peace.

injoilfe

Regardless of his personal relationship issues...Freakin hilarious comedian! Will be missed! Hope his daughter will realize it's not truly her fault & she is able to heal quickly. Both physically & emotionally!

Stacy

Robert was a very dear friend. Kind, thoughtful, and sensitive. Nothing like the man on stage. No matter the transgressions of his life, nobody deserves the pain he has gone through. You will be greatly missed! I love you, and I'll see you some day on the other side.

veronica

I feel bad for his children, and his first wife Vicki. As a human I feel bad for him. I don't know him but his actions spoke louder than words.
He cheated on his wife Vicki with this "money hungry whore named Melissa" Usually if a man cheats on his wife with a slut, he uses her then throws her away and stays with his decent and pure wife. He was stupid enough to leave his wife for this slut. And his stupid daughter went along with it, talk about loyalty to your mom! Melissa is forever tarnished and karma will get her back 100 times over!

ev

Alot of people sending out ugly vibes about his ways with the women in his life, newsflash: life is messy, complicated and s*** happens. Not always good s*** either. Remember what they say about the one throwing the first stone. I will miss his irreverent tone, cause really, some of the things he joked about couldn't EVER possibly be considered funny, yet I lmao, everytime. RIP Rob, and peace to your family.

scottm

This is so very sad. You may not know the name but if you follow Conan O'Brien at all you'll know 'Triumph the Insult Comic Dog'. That was Robert at his very best. His "Star Wars" roast (look it up) is the funniest thing I think I've ever seen.

mf72

To the previous poster: You are confusing Robert Schimmel with Robert Smigel, who is very much alive as far as I know

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4