Robert Schimmel Dies

9/4/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Robert Schimmel died last night in a Phoenix hospital from injuries he sustained in a car accident last week. He was 60 years old.

0904_robert_schimmel_BN_getty
As TMZ first reported, Schimmel was the passenger in a serious car accident after his daughter, who was driving at the time, swerved to avoid an accident. She's still in the hospital, but we're told she'll be ok.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

Smooch

How unbelievably sad. I had not heard of the accident. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family as well as his friends. Also I pray for the full recovery of his daughter. May all of them be comforted and given strength in this time of tragedy.

Gigi

RIP Robert! You are truly going to be missed! Our thoughts and prayers are with your family, especially your daughter right now. Life really isn't fair, he survived cancer and then to lose his life this way, it really just isn't right!

Big Daddy

Rest in peace. Oh, and also WHO? Maybe TMZ will give a farewell to me when I pass:)

thehoch

The dude was very funny. I feel horrible for him and his family.

What a tragedy...RIP!

Ozzie X

That is a shame he was a really nice guy on the show.

War3agl3

Sad, always thought cancer may finally get him since he was battling it for so long. Ends up being a car wreck. Be careful out there.

South Beach

Swerving to avoid an accident, poor daughter. God protect her from the "Why didn't you?" people....

Tara

RIP Funny man

Celebrities Suck

R.I.P

audio1222

Had a chance to meet Robert at of all places an Apple store in Schaumburg il, mall. I said, Thanks for all the laughs and he was the greatest, most humble man, you will be missed dearly!!!

Ray

I guess God needed a truly brilliant comedian. He will be missed. ='(
R.I.P. Robert Schimmel (January 16, 1950 – September 3, 2010)

Joe

What a loss... RIP Bobby...I know he is checking in with all of his dead relatives...

Frank

Funny, brutally honest and a really nice guy. Gone way too soon.

Katanga

Really funny guy. Great Loss. RIP.

LMN

He survived cancer, survivied divorces, was waiting for a liver transplant and dies from this. He never had a chance. Best known for his Stern show appearances because he told us EVERYTHING about his life. He almost got a new liver after his last appearance- lots of fans came forward offering him part of theirs. Some things aren't meant to be-he wasn't meant to live a long happy life....