Joe Jackson -- Spankings Kept Michael Out of Gangs

9/5/2010 11:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Jackson says his heavy parental hand kept Michael Jackson away from gangs.

0904_joe_jackson_video

The interview with Joe was shot by Jacksonsecretvault.com over the summer and will be used as part of a movie Katherine Jackson is producing with Howard Mann.

In the clip, an interviewer asks Joe what he thinks about Michael's past comments about Joe's parenting -- alluding to allegations of physical abuse. Joe says, "I had to be like that because when raising him, in those days, so many gangs out there getting into trouble, going to jail. Most of them are dead now. He didn't have to worry about that."

The interviewer also asked if Joe had any regrets, "No! They tried to make a big issue when I spanked Michael or some of the kids, ya know? Just like they didn't spank their kids when they did wrong. The media twists everything."

Indeed.

Kelly

I agree Lee lee. I wish he could feel the love for him now. I believe that's really all he ever wanted. The man was truly brilliant. It's so sad. I hope his children never feel that hate, only love.

susie

The liars - part 1

Lee lee

Posted at 5:38 AM on Sep 5, 2010 by Kelly

thanks Kelly. I feel the same. I hope his children understand the love we have for their Dad. God bless xoxox

Beatnchld2

Joe was a control freak. Perhaps even an alcoholic. Unhappy in a society in which business frowned upon African Americans. He took that frustration out on his children. Partly as a way of releasing his anger, and partly as a force upon the children to never disobey. He can use any excuse in the book, but it doesn't make it okay. You don't have to control, manipulate, bully and beat your children to have them turn out to be incredible human beings. Nurturing, love and the right kind of discipline goes a very long way. Thank heaven above for the presence of God and Katherine in that home.

aston

Yes, right - Michael, the typical gangsta to be. Nonsense.

I think Joe abused his kids for more than one reason. One was that he wanted to keep them off the streets. The other one was that he was simply a violent man who enjoyed using his fists. Michael he abused because of intense jealousy. Joe, the failed musician, was outshone by a kid.

Remember when Michael said on Oprah that the mere presence of his father made him regurgitate? And Joe replied: "Yes, he regurgitates all the way to the bank." What an evil, bitter and envious remark.

I never heard him say "I scared Michael and the other kids and I am sorry. I am forever grateful to Michael for taking us all out of Gary, Indiana. I love him, I will never try to milk him for money, and I know he wants go to his own way artistically, so I will never ask him to perform with his brothers again. We have the memories of a great adventure with the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons and that's enough, now I wish him the best of luck and I'll be there for him if he needs me AS A FATHER."

Did anyone else hear him say that? I don't think so.

susie

part 2

part 3

______________________

I love you Michael <3

Butterfly

Did anyone else hear him say that? I don't think so.

Posted at 5:49 AM on Sep 5, 2010 by aston

I think that is what Michael needed (sometime) most.

-- LOVE AND MISS MJJ

Friend?

A scary man and the thought that he´d raised children is even scarier, it´s NEVER acceptable to hit a child and then try to justify it is just pathetic!!!

aston

I think maybe God did more harm than good in that home. JW are really nuts. Met anyone sound and sane knocking on your door?

Karen Faye told us on her blog how Michael was constantly supervised by guardians from his church, and at the Smooth Criminal video the church demanded he choose between them and the entertainment industry. Wonderful people, right? They are into "shunning" those who do not obey their commands (while Jesus never shunned anyone). Being kicked out must have made Michael very sad, and it probably stayed with him for the rest of his life.

camaguey

"...most of them are dead." Uh...SO IS MICHAEL!

Kelly

Aston, you have a great point. There is no remorse there.

I once heard this lady tell her daughter "I did the best I could for who I was at the time." Alotta truth to that IMO.

Illinois person

Gangs, really Joe???????? Just when would your son have been subject to gangs????? Didn't you put him to work at like 6 years old????? Now, didn't you recently say that you never spanked Michael all too often and that in fact it was Katherine who did the spanking????? Let's face it Joe, the only successful thing you've ever done with your otherwise sad life is that you fathered these very musically talented children including Janet. Motown took the ball from there and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis kick started the Janet Jackson we know today. You've been nothing but a hanger's on ever since. I'll give you this much, you were ahead of your time in trying to be someone famous much like today's reality stars who have zero talent. In other words, you've done nothing except live vicariously through your children's lives. Your son left you out of his will probably because first and foremost he couldn't stand you but just as important you have ZERO business sense and he knew this. You're one piece of work father Joe. Take your fake mustache and go retire to Florida where you belong. Maybe Bubbles will still give you the time of day. Face it, with Michael gone the only one left is Janet who's got the power and raw talent to earn an entertainment buck. Your other sons are and (were) nothing without Michael. You chased your son to an early grave so I don't know how you look at yourself in the mirror. You're stilling trying to suck blood off a dead guy, how sick can you be? Enjoy your SS check and be lucky you've got it. That's what lots of other people have to live on too. Not a dime, not one thin dime! Then and only then will Michael have the last laugh and be able to sleep in peace. Quite certain you, father Joe, shook that casket one last time just to be sure no extra change fell out.

Alice(from Romania)

The interview started with Wesley Snipes alone, then Don Cheadle arrived.

Q: Long hair in Brooklyn’s Finest, huh?

Wesley Snipes: Yea, a little bit of a different angle.

Q: While we have you alone for a few moments, did you know that they are turning a Brooklyn subway station into a tribute to Michael Jackson for the Bad video?

WS: I heard about that, through the grapevine, yea. That’s cool. That would be cool.

Q: What are your memories of shooting that video in the subway station?

WS: That was..yea..the amazing thing was that I was only supposed to be on the film, or project, for about 3 days, and it turned out to be 3 and a half weeks, almost a month, really. And the thing I took from it most was watching Michael Jackson perform, at performance level, in his rehearsals. I said, “Wow, that’s the consummate artist right there.” And that’s the pinnacle of where I’d like to go, and the kind of skill I would like to have as an artist. That I can come in at my rehearsals and treat them like performances. I took that from him, and that’s what I’ve been trying to do consistently in my work.

Q: What do you think about Jay-Z commenting that “We Are The World” should have been left alone because an icon did it, and it should not have been recreated?

WS: Well, I understand the motivation behind it, but I don’t really have a critical comment about it. I am more critical about how Michael was treated, more than anything else. I think that he was an angel sent to us, and I think that we might have to reflect on how well we took care of him. People like to say, “Oh, people around him were bad and they didn’t do right by him.” But I think this is collective too. Because I don’t know the last time, and I can’t remember any other artist that attracted that much energy and projected that much power. That was that creative, and affected so many people, and was such a diplomat for America, and a champion for American culture, and African-American people worldwide. People wanted to move to America because of Michael Jackson. Industry changed, the music industry changed, because of Michael Jackson. That’s a gift to us, and, you know, I am concerned that the Good Lord may not send another one because we did not take good care of him (Michael Jackson).

L.O.V.E and PEACE

Joe Jackson an illiterate child abuser

To the fool who says he visited Gary, In. and the street MJ lived on, and describes it as some kind of hell hole, and writes as though everyone ought to appreciate Joe for taking the Jackson family out of it - let me give you a lesson in urban geography - these towns deteriorate over time! It was a nice blue collar environment 50 years ago. Neglect and increased gang activity has caused it to be what it is today. The same is true for parts of Los Angeles, etc. What started as a little problem mushroomed over decades into major hotbeds of poverty, gang activity, etc. That's how 'inner cities' are bred. So, the 'picture' you see today of Gary In is much much worse than what it was in the 60's. In the 60's it was much better! JOE JACKSON IS STILL THE S*** OF THE EARTH. He is an evil man for sacrificing his son's development for money. Children First! Everytime!

Haley

Joe obviously didn't see the video for "Bad".