Minka Kelly:

I Didn't Freak Out on Delta

9/7/2010 8:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Minka Kelly claims she didn't freak out on an airplane earlier today ... and never called boyfriend Derek Jeter ... this according to her lawyer.

0907_Minka_Kelly_Getty_01

There's a report circulating that Minka had an epic meltdown on a flight from NY to LAX earlier today when she wasn't allowed to put her dog on her seat during takeoff.

According to the report, it took all seven flight attendants, a personal plea from the pilot ... and a phone call to boyfriend Derek Jeter to calm her down.

But Kelly's lawyer, Marty Singer, tells TMZ ... Minka paid extra to bring her dog on board the flight.  There was never an issue on the L.A./New York trip.  But Singer says on the return trip, the flight attendant would not let Minka's dog in the first class cabin during takeoff and landing because of space issues.  Singer says Minka took her dog back to coach for takeoff and landing and spent the rest of the time with her pooch in first class.

Singer calls the freak-out story "ridiculous," adding she would have been kicked off the flight if she went nuts.  As for calling Jeter, Singer says it didn't happen -- she called her manager who booked the flight in an attempt to convince the flight attendant she had made accommodations for the dog in first class.

jxtr

I was unaware that airlines allowed dogs to be on board with the passengers. I thought that dogs and other animals were placed underneath in the cargo space.

timsami

She's a very freaky girl...the kind you don't take home to Momma!

Andrea

Yes, you can "buy a ticket" for a pet in the cabin. The pet must be in an approved carrier and the carrier must be able to fit under the seat in front of you for take-offs and landings.

The cabin can have only a certain number of pets per flight. I think there might also be a pet weight maximum.

I suspect what might have happened in this case is that she was in row 1 which doesn't have a seat in front of it, thus no place to stow pets/small bags, etc. Further, I bet that all the other first class passengers had their stuff stowed in front of their seats and the first open under-seat storage area was back in coach.

This kind of thing happens a lot but I understand it was probably traumatic that she thought she'd be able to have her pooch near her, didn't like the "no" when she said she'd just hold it on her lap, and got all panicky about where little Fido would end up.

Likely some nice dog-lover offered their under-seat space for TO/Ls.

As a further curiosity, the last time I flew first class there was a lady passenger who boarded with her small dog in her arms. She didn't even have a carrier for the dog. Apparently it was a "therapy dog" and she had a written waiver to be able to hold the dog at all times, even TO/Ls. I was too chicken to ask her about it, but the flight attendant told me they sometimes have these kinds of "therarpy dogs" for passengers with some kind of emotional need for comfort while flying...

Michael

Delta flights from JFK to LAX are business elite seats. Dogs are considered carry on regardless if you pay for the dogs seat or not.

The problem is the dog must go under the seat in front of you, but because the seats in BE do not have space under them there is no way to get the dog under the seat.

May FAs on this route ignore the "carry on must be under the seat rule" but you do often run into the FA that follows the rule to the letter.

I have been on a few of these flights where the person in BE with a DOG is asked to sit in coach for take off and landing.

J Simp

Wow dog in first class seat. LOL

Mel

I'm sure there is some truth to this, she looks high maintenance.

jeff

SHE is prob. the reason why Jeter is playing so crappy. He needs to get rid of the trashy baggage and step up and be the captain again.

bella

HE WILL NEVER MARRY HER! HAHA....SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT GETS YOU NO WHERE...

Gustav

Her ass should have been carted of by an air marshal

wasted days and wasted nights

I imagine it'd be rather humiliating to be shufflin' to the back of the plane as some dog in first-class is paging the flight attendant for a jack-and-coke.

static

Run Derek run away!

DW Wood

should have thrown the crazy bitch off the plane and made her walk to her next destination. if a non-celeb threw a fit like she did they would be on the no fly list.

wickdpissah

This whole story is bogus. First of all, I work for Delta and there were only 5 flight attendants on that crew, not "seven." I looked it up. Second, to those of you that aren't familiar with FAA regulations, dogs are not allowed to "sit in the seat next to you" or anywhere else but in their carrier. At least, that is the FAA reg as it pertains to Delta. Third, the crew on this flight was based in LAX and were pretty senior, so I'm sure plenty used to celebrities and their diva-ness - I get enough of it based in NYC, and believe me, if it had gone down as reported, she would have been thrown off in JFK. It's all BS.

moe

Too bad this didn't happen on Jet-Blue! :)

ltn

Posted at 6:19 PM on Sep 7, 2010 by wickdpissah

UMMMMMMMMMMMM..... You work for delta and your giving us confidential information as to how many flight attendants are assigned to a flight ( information that you had to look up over a confidential database I suppose) . Arent you posing a security risk to the attendants, crew and passangers? I hope they find out who you are and you get fired.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments