Deputy Who Busted Mel Gibson Sues

9/7/2010 7:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The L.A. Sheriff's Deputy who arrested Mel Gibson in the infamous 2006 arrest is suing the County of L.A., claiming he's the victim of retaliation.

James Mee Lawsuit

In the lawsuit, Deputy James Mee claims at the time of his arrest, Gibson was a spokesperson for the L.A. County Sheriff's Star Program and had filed a public service announcement for Sheriff Lee Baca, whom Mee says was Gibson's "close friend."

Mee claims he was "unjustly denied" a promotion -- the result of "religious discrimination and retaliation for plaintiff's religion and his report of anti-Semitic remarks by [Gibson]."

You'll recall, TMZ broke the story of Gibson's anti-Semitic rant.  Mee is Jewish.

The suit claims Sergeant Tracy Palmer erased a videotape involving the arrest of Gibson.  Sources tell TMZ Mee has said the alleged video shows Gibson out of control at the jail after his arrest.  Mee has told people the tape shows Gibson screaming at the top of his lungs and pacing in the cell.

TMZ has independently confirmed there was indeed a videotape of Mel at the jail -- the cameras are mounted and trained on the booking area in the Lost Hills jail.

This is the first time Mee has revealed at length the events of July 28, 2006. He claims, as TMZ first reported, he documented Gibson's tirade in his initial report but was ordered by superiors to rewrite the report, deleting the slurs. The lawsuit -- filed by attorneys Etan Lorant and Yael Trock -- goes on to say the original 4 pages in Mee's report were published by TMZ.

Mee says he was immediately targeted as the alleged TMZ leak, despite the fact that other non-Jewish deputies had access to the 4 pages.  Mee says he was unmercifully interrogated, received a negative job performance report and claims it was all the result of religious discrimination.

Mee says the department launched several investigations targeting him, to determine if he was the TMZ leak.  Although Mee didn't mention it, the Sheriff's Department secretly obtained search warrants for the work and home phone records of Harvey Levin.  The Sheriff's Department has never determined who leaked the document.

Sheriff's spokesperson Steve Whitmore tells TMZ, "We are looking forward to telling the whole story and the whole story is not being told in this lawsuit.  Ethnicity and gender have nothing to do with any of this.  An investigation was launched by the Sheriff's Department to try and discover who was leaking official documents without authorization.  That is a crime."

0907_gibson_footer

fran

I think Mee looks like a rat , really...take a look at his pic .
Shuffle maybe Scotty and a few others need blow up dolls, to keep them amused . lol That whole bunch of Oksie supporters are sickening.

Shuffle Demon

I think Mee looks like a rat , really...take a look at his pic .

Posted at 10:25 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by fran
------------------------------------------------------
Well whether he is a rt or not is irrelavant, I think the really telling tale is when you look and review his work record. It really scream's out that he doesn't seem to able or willing to do the tasks of his job with the fortitude you would expect. I could see some blemishes to an extent, but there is a long history IMO of failing tio achieve the standards that govern someone with the duties he is expected to fill to a certain standard. If you look at in the perspective of how important it is to do that job in adherence to the standards that is deemed in law as well as the code of conduct that the Sheriff's have that govern the standards they have to go by, that being said if he isn't doing to the job to those standars the only people that suffer from it are the public. It could very well be that his failure to do the job as required could very well mean that their could be legal ramifications for the public as well as prosecuters, those charged with an offensce as well as those who serves under including those who serve beside him. There are a lot of things that get thrown out on technicalities. If you are just coasting thru a job like this, then you are more of a liability then an asset. Seeems to me that's what the Sheriff's department thought of this..

canook

for observer77
same here ...marriage and baby
wonder if Oksana blackmail Mel with suicide?

Ronnie Wood, 54, is planning to marry his 20 year old lover Ekaterina Ivanova. He just needs to get divorced first.
And Wood has vowed to hold on to as much of his £60...million fortune as he can in a “speedy” divorce from wife Jo

Ronnie Wood denies pregnancy
Ekaterina Ivanova the 20-year-old Russian was pictured at the weekend in a bump hiding floaty outfit, this fueled rumors that she may be expecting a baby.
The pair issued a joint statement which read: “These are all ridiculous rumors and we would like to make it clear that Ekaterina is not pregnant.”

Ronnie Wood isn't budging on the baby thing. The Rolling Stones rocker, 62, who has 4 kids and a stepson from his previous marriages, is reportedly not going to give in to his 20-year-old girlfriend Ekaterina Ivanova’s demands that they hunker down and start a family.
Ekaterina is convinced she's found the love of her life and she wants to be a mother but Ronnie isn't so keen. His friends have been telling him not to rush into anything he may later regret so, for the time being, he's dodging the situation as best he can. While Ronnie’s decision has made Ekaterina unhappy, her family are likely to be relieved.
The former waitress’ grandmother admitted earlier this week she worries about Ekaterina’s new relationship with the “old fart.”
Ronnie Wood says he doesn't want to have any children with Ekaterina Ivanova.
Speaking from her home in Kazakhstan, Lyudmila Ivanova said: "God, those two are complicated. I don't know if she now plans to build her own career and study something, or does she just plan to get pregnant and have a child from Ronnie? I wouldn't be surprised if she does. She is a young girl and needs at some point to have a baby. The question is whether at his age Ronnie's able to create one?"
Speaking about the couple’s recent argument which saw Ekaterina threaten to kill herself and Ronnie move his belongings out of their home, Lyudmila, 76, added: "I thought the old fart was trying to get back to his wife Jo.”

Ronnie Wood screamed "You're worthless . . . I own you" at his young lover Ekaterina Ivanova in one appalling rant
then, as Ekaterina sobbed, he added: "You gold-digging whore . . . you stupid bitch."
Ekaterina moved to London from Kyrgyzstan aged three with her artist dad Sergei and mum Irina. She met Ronnie in 2008 at a West End bar where she was waitressing.

Ronnie left wife Jo, 54, for her and initially they were madly in love. Ronnie whisked Katia to Costa Rica, Paris, Rome and Los Angeles.
After nine months, Ronnie hit the bottle and the relationship drove her to bouts of self-harm. The first time, last autumn in an LA hotel, she cut her wrists with scissors and had 12 stitches.
She said: "Things had been really bad and I tried to talk to Ronnie but he just said, 'Shut up, you're so miserable'. I was having a panic attack.
"I picked up a pair of scissors and stabbed myself in the arm, really deep. There was blood everywhere and I could see the vein. "I called an ambulance but then stabbed the other arm. I was so out of character. I was strong and confident before I met Ronnie but when he was drunk I was just constantly reduced to tears.
"After my stitches I got dropped back at the hotel and all he could say was, 'Don't do that again. Have a drink'. I was like, 'Are you serious? Drink made me do this'. Drink was his answer to everything.
"The next day he came on to me in bed and put his hand on my arms, which were still sore, and I went, 'Ow!' He just said, 'Shut up, you shouldn't have done it anyway'."
On a trip to Paris, Katia tried to hang herself with one of Ronnie's ties in their suite before he came in and pulled her away. She also tried to hang herself in London but the tie wouldn't hold her weight.
Katia said: "At my lowest I think I really wanted to die, but none of the attempts were that serious.
"I felt so low but whenever I tried to talk to Ronnie he'd just say, 'I love you, you're beautiful, why don't we go shopping?' I felt he wouldn't take me seriously at all. I just wanted to talk to the person I loved about how I was feeling.
"In September I threatened to kill myself during a row which the neighbours heard and they called police. I just wanted a reaction from him, but he couldn't give it."
The first inkling that Ronnie could be physically abusive came on the flight home in November.
Katia says: "I'd split up with him in Kenya because I'd had enough of being made to feel awful, but he was lovely to me for two days so I thought things were fine again. But then he was vile on the flight.
"Ronnie was already quite drunk on rum and I said, 'Ronnie, can you try not to be too p***ed when we get back to London?'
"He went mad. He shouted, 'Don't you dare tell me what to do. I'm grown up, I can handle my drink'.
"He kept hassling me and in the end I took off a necklace he'd given me and threw it at him and said, 'Ronnie, that's it, it's over'."He went mad and was saying, 'Fine, find your own way home. You're worthless. I own you'.
"He started throwing water bottles at me, then slapped me on the ear with a rolled-up newspaper.
"I burst into tears and the hostess took me to the back of the plane and had a word with him.
"He was quiet for about five minutes, then started shouting, 'You f***ing gold-digging whore, you stupid bitch. You can't do anything, you need me.'
"I was crying and he was mocking me and shouting to everyone, 'Oh, look, she's crying. Boo hoo'.
"He went quiet again for a bit, then tried to get into my bed, cuddled me and said, 'I love you'. I just said, 'Ronnie, you're nuts'."He asked why I was crying and said, 'Can't you take a f***ing joke?' It was scary to watch. I'd never seen him like that.
"How can someone change in a couple of hours to act in such a hateful and evil way?"
But it took the street attack in December for Katia to finally leave Ronnie and never go back.
She said: "Mick Jagger had told Ronnie not to drink with me. He and the Stones were always nice to me and didn't try to split us up. But they knew we were destructive together and I think Mick worried what would happen to both of us.
"We would have ended up killing each other. It would have been like Sid and Nancy. I think the violence would definitely have escalated."

voice of reason

The media has no credibility. They can make you or break you.

One only has to look at how the media is reporting the Mel/Ox case today. Can we say "selective" reporting, "half truths?
Just look at all the blatant lies that have been reported. Just 1 example. The OX is Mels ex-wife.

If not for the truth-seekers on this board, who have spent time researching facts and posting these facts, many would have a different take on this. The media version.

In 2006 at the time of the Passion and the DUI arrest, Who had a "dog in this fight"? Who controls the media and could spin this story out of control?
Who was just waiting for Mel to make a slip-up?
And crucified they did, and are still at it to-day!

Talk about VENDETTA against a human being! When is enough, enough?

IMO Mel was given bad advice by his publicist and made to apologize. Unfortunatly that apology has been used against him ever since as a sign of guilt.

I am glad to see that to-day, in the OX case, Mel has come out fighting for his name, his family, his life.

God is with you Mel.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

What you say! voice of reason!

Only correction I can see needed is:

"If not for the truth-seekers on this board, who have spent time researching facts and posting these facts OVER AND OVER AGAIN, many would have a different take on this."

I too was glad to see him NOT apologize over this. It should have stayed PRIVATE and it is OX that needs to apologize.

Re Mee looking like a rat: that is an insult to rats. :(

Shuffle Demon

The media has no credibility. They can make you or break you.

Who was just waiting for Mel to make a slip-up?
And crucified they did, and are still at it to-day!

Talk about VENDETTA against a human being! When is enough, enough?

God is with you Mel.

Posted at 11:08 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason
---------------------------------------------------------

Well I will say Mel is doing the right thing and listening to his Lawyers and PR Team and remaning silent. Oxsanity so wants to be in the public eye that she just can't shut up, all her statements and her different variations of stories, and then her contardictions when she is asked anything hahave all contributed to people looking at the case with a more crititcal eye. OxSanity has done more for Mel's PR team with all her contradictions and different versions of events then I am sure Mel's leagal team would have ever dreamed. She has made herself look like a Gold Digger by all her contradicition's and her legal mis-steps when she decided to make this a public fight. She was hoping IMO that Mel would knuckle under if this went public, and would pay her a nice cash settlement if she would shut up ( you know kind of like Tiger Woods did with Rachel " never met a married man I didnt't like " Uchitel ) But I am going to guess the big shake down didn't work as planned...I would be willing to bet right now that 15 mil she would have got is looking not to bad now...

Shuffle Demon

The media has no credibility. They can make you or break you.

Who was just waiting for Mel to make a slip-up?
And crucified they did, and are still at it to-day!

Talk about VENDETTA against a human being! When is enough, enough?

God is with you Mel.

Posted at 11:08 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason

-------------------------------------------------------------
Well I should have added with regards to the Media. You have to remember the Media is no one's friend. They can love and admire you one day and tear you to pieces the next. The media is a fickle beast that serves only one master, it's hunger for the headline. Anyone who has dealt with them knows they love a headline, good or bad, whether you are friend or foe. If it will grab attention, then they will put it out there whether you are rich or poor is irrelevant, it is about the story.

V

I am plugging along reading this article and posts. I am up to this post and I have some questions:

"The release allowing him to sue the department was dated in June of 2010. So the only "wait" was from the time approval was granted until earlier this month.

Posted at 4:42 PM on Sep 7, 2010 by TMZgossip"

******
TMZgossip – there’s more than one WAIT period here where Deputy Mee is concerned, isn’t there?

Deputy Mee had an attorney in 2006. He could have at anytime filed with the DFEH (and EEOC) to investigate, right? Or he could pursue any matter personally through CIVIL court, right? Those were/are his choices, right?

Here is a link for DFEH.

CA DFEH actually has designed their entire website to allow folks an "OR" that complies with both STATE and FEDERAL LAW, haven't they? So DEPUTY Mee could have applied for a RIGHT to SUE at anytime.

Here is a good link for the regulations/LAWS involving the RIGHT TO SUE etc.:

WHEN or DID Deputy Mee (and his attorneys) submit the complaint? Was it the ONLY complaint?

Why Deputy Mee chose to pursue a civil case instead of allowing the STATE and/or FEDERAL officials to investigate is an interesting question isn't it? Or did he pursue that route first and this civl case is his last option?

That NOTIFICATION to Complainant’s Attorney” letter poses more questions than answering questions in my opinon.

The NOTIFICATION does NOT say any DATE of INCIDENT(s) or even a COMPLAINT DATE does it? And the filing did not include the complaint submitted to the DFEH did it? Aren’t those very important? The body of this man’s suit claims multiple incidents over years.

How can we or the court know exactly what DFEH was provided?

The NOTIFICATION to Complainant’s attorney also referenced a "NOTICE of CASE CLOSURE". Do you know what that is? Or when and why one would be included to Deputy Mee’s attorney?

A NOTICE OF CASE CLOSURE (found in the second link at the bottom of page 24) is provided whenever

1 -a complaint is withdrawn by the complaint
2 -dismissed by DFEH or the investigation is closed for ANY reason.

This Notice of Case Closure is sent according to their rules to BOTH the complainant and the respondent.

This NOTIFICATION TO COMPLAINANT ATTORNEY though says
“DFEH will not serve these do***ents on the employer”.

What does that mean? LA County received the Notice of Closure but not the actual complaint? Or does it mean LA COUNTY did not get any information about E200910R6502=00?

My guess is Oct 2009 is important here though I am not sure WHY yet.

I know some have mentioned the SHERIFF's department or County of LA had to have seen this lawsuit coming. I am not so sure and that Notification to Complaintant's Attorney is why.

I think the link below is very relevant.

Right now I am wondering if this lawsuit is about discrimination all.

bart

Yep this guy should sue. Sorry the he was abused because of what he believes in. Should sue both the Sheriffs Department and Mr. Mel

Muppet

They might want to find the leak, I suspect the person that leaked that report in 2006 and didn't get caught is the one that told Oksana how to leak the tapes. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

Shuffle Demon

Posted at 11:08 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason

funny how that worked, the guilty dude is looked at as being guilty.

gibson made 2 statements following the DUI in 2006.

Its funny that HE took responsibility for his actions, but the rabid team mel supporters deny he did.

Posted at 12:42 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by TMZgossip
-------------------------------------------------------
TMZgossip You may wan't to go back and do a little reading. You seem to be doing a lot of assuming in what everyone supports and doesn't. I think you missed a lot of various discussions and theroies going on in the comments area of this story...

Shuffle Demon

Posted at 12:46 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by bart
--------------------------------------------------
You obviously haven't read the comments and other info posted in here. This guy is the author of his own mis-fortune. As with most places there is a certain level of expectation of you in your duties. There is also a code of conduct in certain professions that you are expected to adhere to. This guy's biggest problem is living up to the requirements he was expected to perform, and following the code of conduct that is set out by the Sheriff's department. If he had any valid concerns of misconduct he could have filed with internal affairs. There job is to police the police, If they would have thought their was something suspect they would have looked into it and investigated it which is their mandate, he also could have went to the D.A. or to the G.A. of Calif. and lodged a comaplint their. Never happened. Based on this guys work records in 17 years this guy seems to not be up to the task for the duties and requirements expected of him under the code of conduct. That being said, he had many avenues to take his complaints to and ask they be looked at, and of course he never chose that option. Now he has filed suit 4 years later. People are queestioning the timing and the reason for the delay, and as to why he never took his comaplints to the appropriate agencies for further investigation..

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Shuffle, don't try to reason with TMZG. it appears to be a complete ignorant idiot that has no reading skills. Bypass all response to it is your best option.

Shuffle Demon

Posted at 1:27 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by Shuffle Demon

I'm not fdoing any assuming at all. the rabid team mel members are denying that gibson made anti-semitic remarks. his 2 statements after the DUI show they are full of crap

Posted at 2:18 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by TMZgossip
---------------------------------------------------

Your perception of all Mel supporter's comments are not even any where near being based in reality. Show me where every Mel supporter in this thread supports your version of events?

Shuffle Demon

Posted at 2:21 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by Sam
-------------------------------------------------
No worries Sam. There are always a few in the crowd who read a portion of the comments and in their infinite wisdom decree they know what everyone thinks and supports without actually reading what people have been dicussing and have wrote. I just thought I would point out the obvious, whether people come to the realization and grasp the concept is always another story..