Deputy Who Busted Mel Gibson Sues

9/7/2010 7:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The L.A. Sheriff's Deputy who arrested Mel Gibson in the infamous 2006 arrest is suing the County of L.A., claiming he's the victim of retaliation.

James Mee Lawsuit

In the lawsuit, Deputy James Mee claims at the time of his arrest, Gibson was a spokesperson for the L.A. County Sheriff's Star Program and had filed a public service announcement for Sheriff Lee Baca, whom Mee says was Gibson's "close friend."

Mee claims he was "unjustly denied" a promotion -- the result of "religious discrimination and retaliation for plaintiff's religion and his report of anti-Semitic remarks by [Gibson]."

You'll recall, TMZ broke the story of Gibson's anti-Semitic rant.  Mee is Jewish.

The suit claims Sergeant Tracy Palmer erased a videotape involving the arrest of Gibson.  Sources tell TMZ Mee has said the alleged video shows Gibson out of control at the jail after his arrest.  Mee has told people the tape shows Gibson screaming at the top of his lungs and pacing in the cell.

TMZ has independently confirmed there was indeed a videotape of Mel at the jail -- the cameras are mounted and trained on the booking area in the Lost Hills jail.

This is the first time Mee has revealed at length the events of July 28, 2006. He claims, as TMZ first reported, he documented Gibson's tirade in his initial report but was ordered by superiors to rewrite the report, deleting the slurs. The lawsuit -- filed by attorneys Etan Lorant and Yael Trock -- goes on to say the original 4 pages in Mee's report were published by TMZ.

Mee says he was immediately targeted as the alleged TMZ leak, despite the fact that other non-Jewish deputies had access to the 4 pages.  Mee says he was unmercifully interrogated, received a negative job performance report and claims it was all the result of religious discrimination.

Mee says the department launched several investigations targeting him, to determine if he was the TMZ leak.  Although Mee didn't mention it, the Sheriff's Department secretly obtained search warrants for the work and home phone records of Harvey Levin.  The Sheriff's Department has never determined who leaked the document.

Sheriff's spokesperson Steve Whitmore tells TMZ, "We are looking forward to telling the whole story and the whole story is not being told in this lawsuit.  Ethnicity and gender have nothing to do with any of this.  An investigation was launched by the Sheriff's Department to try and discover who was leaking official documents without authorization.  That is a crime."

0907_gibson_footer

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Shuffle,

Yep, I tried too. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It's really kinda amzaing, the level of denial. It kinda reeks of Ox's PR team, IMO. Best they have.....

voice of reason

IMO Mel was given bad advice by his publicist and made to apologize. Unfortunatly that apology has been used against him ever since as a sign of guilt.

Posted at 11:08 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason

funny how that worked, the guilty dude is looked at as being guilty.

gibson made 2 statements following the DUI in 2006.

Its funny that HE took responsibility for his actions, but the rabid team mel supporters deny he did.

Posted at 12:42 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by TMZgossip

Let me clarify what I was referring to.

Why did Mel "have to" apologize for the DUI? Who does that? Or is it a requirement of every citizen in CA who is charged with DUI?
He was charged, took responsibility, end of story.

Oh...because of the Jews comments? We really only have the good deputy word on this, dont we? Who just happened to have Harveys phone number on speed dial. Nuf said.

voice of reason

Posted at 11:08 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason

funny how that worked, the guilty dude is looked at as being guilty.

gibson made 2 statements following the DUI in 2006.

Posted at 12:42 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by TMZgossip

What I am referring to regarding the bad advice IMO is this:

Why would Mel "have to" apologize to the world for the DUI?
He was charged, took responsibility, end of story.

Oh,.... because of the Jews comments? We really only have the good deputy word for it, dont we? Who just happened to have Harvey's phone number on speed dial. Do I hear entrapment?Nuf said.

middleagedcrazy

Sometimes it appears that people do not read anything -- including the 'cover' story. Some of the more aggressive posters are just trying to get off their 'zingers' and have absolutely no interest in anything else.

voice of reason

My apologies for the double post.

One was deleted and now it has re-appeared.

Shuffle Demon

Shuffle,

Yep, I tried too. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Posted at 2:47 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by Sam
---------------------------------------------------------
lol...too much of the Oxsana Kool-Aid

Posted at 2:47 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by middleagedcrazy
-------------------------------------------
Yes MAC I have to say I am in agreement. I could see that if some of their posts were based on their convictions or belief an explantion of why. But we always seem to get the blanketed usual mumbo jumbo quips of " oh you guys support a racist" "your support drunk driving" " your blasphemers for supporting Mel" If they were to tell us why they think this or that and the reasons of merit behind it, at least then there would be something that we consider putting a worthy response forward for debate/discussion instead of the random quips and rants we have seen ten times over it would seem throught the many Mel/Oxsana stories and comments in them....

voice of reason

Is anyone experiencing problems posting?

When I post, I have to "Confirm" the post before its posted on TMZ.
To-day, 2 of my posts were automatically posted without "Confirmation".
1 post on this thread
1 post on another TMZ Mel thread

Shuffle Demon

Is anyone experiencing problems posting?

When I post, I have to "Confirm" the post before its posted on TMZ.
To-day, 2 of my posts were automatically posted without "Confirmation".
1 post on this thread
1 post on another TMZ Mel thread

Posted at 3:13 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason
=====================================================
I haven't seen that myself VOR I would log out of TMZ, clean your cookies and tthen log back in to TMZ and make a test post and see if that clears up your issue

maya

TMZgossip

It is so difficult to know what the truth is. I don't think you can say it happened anymore than we can say it didn't happen. I, like you, find it hard to believe he would apologize for something he didn't do but I suppose it is possible that he was so drunk that he had no idea what he said or didn't say. The point is, why is this in the news now? Why rehash a mistake someone made 4 years ago? What is it you want, a pound of flesh? What kind of a crime is it to say I don't like Jews? Is that more despicable than the Jews in the industry preventing him from earning a living because they think he said it? Is it true, does Mel Gibson have a target on his back? Do Jews hate mel Gibson? Are people in the industry afraid to speak out on Mel's behalf?
What is the truth?

Maya 28

Lew

Mel was brought up by anti-semites. He should be held fully accountable for his behavior, actions, and statements. The deputy should not have been told to change his report. This is favoritism, and anti-semitism. The deputy was telling what he saw. If he had to report anything less, his boss was fostering the anti-semitism. THe Sheriff's Office should be held accountable for this. Any retaliation against the deputy is wrong, and protected under Title 7.

Wanda

Seems to me that an officers report is testified to in court, and for him to say well, I didnt tell all of it, would lend itself to not the whole truth, nothing but the truth so help me God.Predjudicial all by it self wouldnt you think. Who would come out smelling like a rose.Not officer Mee. Nor the county sheriffs office for sure. i for one would be afraid, very afraid. that any thing to do with the police department would be
terrifying for more reasons than one. Big Mouth Mel Gibson has
said enough all on his own. but it is the officers responsibility to be accurate and with creditality.What in the world is this world coming to.

voice of reason

Is anyone experiencing problems posting?

When I post, I have to "Confirm" the post before its posted on TMZ.
To-day, 2 of my posts were automatically posted without "Confirmation".
1 post on this thread
1 post on another TMZ Mel thread

Posted at 3:13 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by voice of reason
=====================================================

Posted at 3:16 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by Shuffle Demon

Thanks SD, will give it a go.

maya

Voice of reason

Yes, I am having the exact same problem.

Maya 28

Shuffle Demon

terrifying for more reasons than one. Big Mouth Mel Gibson has

Posted at 3:20 PM on Sep 9, 2010 by Wanda
----------------------------------------------------------
Well Wanda I have shared some of thise very questions about this officers conduct and his duty as such. If you go a little back in the comments you will see someone has posted a little bit of the facts of his history with the Sherriff's Dept...It gives quite a picture of his tenure as a Sheriff and his conduct

Lew

Mel Gibson hates too many people. DO NOT go to his movies. DO NOT buy anything connected with him. Mel flushed his career down the bowl.