Deputy Who Busted Mel Gibson Sues

9/7/2010 7:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The L.A. Sheriff's Deputy who arrested Mel Gibson in the infamous 2006 arrest is suing the County of L.A., claiming he's the victim of retaliation.

James Mee Lawsuit

In the lawsuit, Deputy James Mee claims at the time of his arrest, Gibson was a spokesperson for the L.A. County Sheriff's Star Program and had filed a public service announcement for Sheriff Lee Baca, whom Mee says was Gibson's "close friend."

Mee claims he was "unjustly denied" a promotion -- the result of "religious discrimination and retaliation for plaintiff's religion and his report of anti-Semitic remarks by [Gibson]."

You'll recall, TMZ broke the story of Gibson's anti-Semitic rant.  Mee is Jewish.

The suit claims Sergeant Tracy Palmer erased a videotape involving the arrest of Gibson.  Sources tell TMZ Mee has said the alleged video shows Gibson out of control at the jail after his arrest.  Mee has told people the tape shows Gibson screaming at the top of his lungs and pacing in the cell.

TMZ has independently confirmed there was indeed a videotape of Mel at the jail -- the cameras are mounted and trained on the booking area in the Lost Hills jail.

This is the first time Mee has revealed at length the events of July 28, 2006. He claims, as TMZ first reported, he documented Gibson's tirade in his initial report but was ordered by superiors to rewrite the report, deleting the slurs. The lawsuit -- filed by attorneys Etan Lorant and Yael Trock -- goes on to say the original 4 pages in Mee's report were published by TMZ.

Mee says he was immediately targeted as the alleged TMZ leak, despite the fact that other non-Jewish deputies had access to the 4 pages.  Mee says he was unmercifully interrogated, received a negative job performance report and claims it was all the result of religious discrimination.

Mee says the department launched several investigations targeting him, to determine if he was the TMZ leak.  Although Mee didn't mention it, the Sheriff's Department secretly obtained search warrants for the work and home phone records of Harvey Levin.  The Sheriff's Department has never determined who leaked the document.

Sheriff's spokesperson Steve Whitmore tells TMZ, "We are looking forward to telling the whole story and the whole story is not being told in this lawsuit.  Ethnicity and gender have nothing to do with any of this.  An investigation was launched by the Sheriff's Department to try and discover who was leaking official documents without authorization.  That is a crime."

0907_gibson_footer

ralph

Mel is a nasty drunk, but he did apologize to the public for the terrible things he said.

I remember when it happened that it was the first time in decades that Israel had invaded Lebanon, and there were already conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Darfur that had religious components (Muslim extremism) elements to them. Mel was wrong to have said that Jews are responsible for all the wars, but he was drunk and had been arrested, and everyone knows now that he is a volatile person.

Mel's conduct evidences the fact that the cop was right to arrest him for an intoxication violation.

Freaks!

Hahaha, a douche crybaby cop! You have some crayzee peeps out there in Cali! Maybe I should sue them for the trauma from reading this?

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

SW: Yep, I'm not so good at spelling or typing. BUT spelling does not equate to intellegence/intelligence. Knowledge is not wisdom.

(And I'm still not going to babysit your employees for you, but I'm glad you are Team Mel!)

voice of reason

wonder if Oksanas PR person put him up to this. Quit your freaking whinning already. You got paid the first time when you sold the do***ents loser.

Posted at 4:26 PM on Sep 7, 2010 by SayWhat

I was wondering why she needed that $84K for PR.....

Freaks!

Will Harvey sue after getting a ticket? Who do I sue if I get sunburnt while on a California visit? Everyone?

Majestik

4 years later, this guy has a beef? Is oxymoron blowing him?

KoalaBabe

Item 22 on Dec 27 you claim you were suspended because you are jewish, this is very serious. This item 22 is the most serious of your claims against the United States government, if you can prove this you will win. I do not believe any of your claims, they seem incredibly extraordinary, some impossible. How can you apply for five different county deputy positions and claim you were refused all based on your religion? You would suggest that every county in America hates you and your religion, this is the idea in your lawsuit. I am sorry to inform you but I take great offense to your accusations, I would want to know both sides of this story. There are some that would make an attempt to tell you that yours and all relgions are hoaxes designed to control people and seeking justice for an imaginary icon is foolish. I'm not one of those people but they are out there.

Posted at 4:41 PM on Sep 7, 2010 by Jenny

Jenny the reasons why the law enforcement from different county did not give him a job, probably there flaws of how he handled Mel Gibson arrest for dui.

He disclosed the legal contents to the press and he acted so immature and told the public Mel was spewing racist rants regarding the jews.
Those are irrelevant on the court of law, he broke the confidentiality code as law enforcer.
I gather, they felt he cannot be trusted when he bungle Mel Gibson case.

KoalaBabe

Gibson responded to the TMZ.com report on July 29, 2006 by admitting to "belligerent behavior" and "despicable" remarks, and he apologized to the sheriff's deputies and everyone else he offended:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Gibson's publicist announced that Gibson entered an out-patient addiction recovery program[13] leading to criticism that he had not entered a residential program.[14] An unnamed source from Gibson's inner circle claimed that Gibson was on the verge of suicide the night of his arrest and was experiencing blackouts.[15] Mainstream media coverage of the Gibson’s alleged behavior during the DUI arrest began soon after the release of his apology to the Sheriff’s deputies, and it was featured on the front page of several tabloids, including The New York Post; many of these carried headlines along the lines of "Mad Mel" (a reference to Gibson's Mad Max film).[citation needed] Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League issued a press release stating that Gibson's apology (with no explicit acknowledgment of anti-semitic remarks) was "unremorseful and insufficient" and that the ADL hoped "that Hollywood now would realize the bigot in their midst and that they will distance themselves from this anti-Semite."

Apology to the Jewish community

Gibson released a second statement on August 1, 2006 specifically apologizing for anti-Semitic remarks and asking to meet with leaders of the Jewish community to affect healing.

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge."

After this statement, Abraham Foxman accepted his apology on behalf of the ADL, and Holocaust survivor Flory Van Beek extended her forgiveness.

Whole can be found on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson_DUI_incident

KoalaBabe

Some commentors asserted that the media coverage of Gibson's DUI arrest was unbalanced or excessive. Boston Globe columnist Jeff Jacoby noted the large disparity in media coverage between the Gibson DUI arrest and a more serious anti-Semitic incident that occurred on the same day, the deadly Seattle Jewish Federation shooting.

A Fox News poll reported on August 11, 2006, that a large number of Americans would not allow the incident to affect their decision about whether to watch Gibson's future movies, reporting "eight out of 10 people say his arrest and negative comments about Jewish people will not make a difference to them," while 10% "probably" and 6% "definitely" would not attend Gibson's future

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

KB: I didn't hear about the Seattle Jewish Foundation shootings at all.

KoalaBabe

I agree with other media, Mel Gibson arrest was given too much publicity, because he was a movie star.
If he was just an old alcoholic bum on the street yelling obscenities about Jews no one would have noticed him.

Ironically Jewish people had forgiven him, its the non-jewish are the one who are holding grudges.

KoalaBabe

Sam, Seattle Jewish Federation shooting was not newsworthy.
He wasn't movie star, is not headlines grabber like Mel Gibson.

Spot the difference about Media being bias?

Firefly

One thing that is consistent is how stories conveniently just pop up out of the blue. One story runs its course when it doesn't pan out and here comes another one to take it's place. I would like for someone to sit Oksana down and on film record her telling her story from day one. Then sit back and listen as the story gets all screwed up and embellished on. After it's over inform her of all the lies she has been caught in and watch her have a myocardial infarction. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

SSinOC

Is it me or does it seem like the one's to really gain from the Mel dog pile are some high powered Jews who are out to make an example of him? He set himself up for it but I truly think they're out to get and crush him any way they can. I'd bet if you dug deep enough you'd find Zionist backing for both Oki and this guy and whomever will jump on in future. Mel stirred up the Joo hornets nest is my guess.

KoalaBabe

The problems with many people conflicting stories, they should know there is always archived of old news somewhere.