« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Montana Tears Holes in 'Rudy'

9/8/2010 11:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Montana has some issues with the way his former college team was portrayed in "Rudy" -- because the former Notre Dame superstar just insinuated Rudy Ruettiger was more of a joke than an inspiration.

0908_joe_audio_launch3

Montana -- who played on the 1975 Fighting Irish squad with Ruettiger -- appeared on DirecTV's Dan Patrick Show this morning and said of the flick, "It's a movie remember ... not all that's true."

After a dismissive sigh, Montana undermined some of the main storylines in the movie saying, "The crowd wasn’t chanting … nobody threw in their jerseys."

Montana acknowledged that the real Rudy did play in the final home game ... and did get a sack -- but stated that when the players carried Rudy off the field, they were "kinda playin' around ... I won't say as a joke, but playing around."

Joe finished, "He worked his butt off to get where he was ... but not any harder than anybody else."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cole

To try and downplay Rudy's one big moment, when you have had countless....PATHETIC! Go hock them sneakers, Joe....and shut your mouth!

albert

If you go to IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108002/trivia), you'll see that many liberties were taken with the film. For instance, with the jersey scene:

"Dan Devine was upset about the scene in which several players laid down their jerseys on his desk as a form of protest for not letting Rudy suit up for the upcoming Georgia Tech game. According to Devine, that incident never took place and if it had, the players involved would have been booted off the team."

Jessica

WOW.... its so sad to read this... My sons Pop Warner Jr. Mity Mite team just had a football party last week and watched RUDY... when I walked in to pick my Son up ... the whole team was chanting RUDY RUDY RUDY ... it brought a tear to my eye... weather the whole story was true or not... There is no reason to be a meany about it now Joe!!! I hope my son and his team mates never read or hear what you have said!!! The lesson from that movie touched many of the players on my Sons team... They all are one and have eachothers back... and if that stays with them forever then the movie did its job!!! There is nothing wrong with a positive lesson from a "movie" so maybe next time stop thinking so much about it and just let it be!!!! xoxo Manchester Hawks Jr. Mites!! #5 GAVIN!!

kronenburg

Wow, that's pretty low, Joe. You just went down a few notches in my book.

b

really? its just a movie!!

"Rudy..Rudy...Rudy??"

LittleMo

Do I smell sour grapes?

Rrangel

Joe say it ain't so, this movie has been around for a long long time... Why are you putting it down. You don't have much to do, but say that it was all a joke.. Come ON! Superstar!! Maybe you should start thinking of taking care of your kid... Rudy was a Great Movie, and just Say No more about it...

JonCav

Joe Montana is a douche either way so who gives a ****?

Janet

Joe. What a disappointment your remarks are. How many look up to you and for WHY and WHAT?

Brad

Dan asked a question and Joe told it like was. Don't kill him for telling the truth.

toad

Good golly Joe, leave Rudy alone. Like you don't have enough good things in your life... you think you need to bash others? Puke.

Anne

What's the matter you sour old goat? Pantyhose too tight?

Eileen

Joe is a jealous old man. He sounds like an old bitch to me. Rudy is an inspiration. Joe - kiss my white ass!

fletcher

I really liked Joes recording of "Coppacabana". I got to see him doing it in person once in Vegas. What a great showman!

Bombshell McGee: Waste of life

Come on Joe - your payoff for saying something NOW? Give me a break. Why say anything at all? OH! Maybe because you are a little jealous a guy who got to play in one game had a movie made about them? Not..... you..... Hm.... Go in a corner, curl up in the fetal position, and cry all over your accomplishments. Joe - you are a douche.