« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rudy Ruettiger's Teammate: Joe Montana Is WRONG!!

9/9/2010 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Montana is wrong about "Rudy" -- according to a member of the 1975 Notre Dame football team ... who claims the guys weren't "playing around" when they famously hoisted Daniel Ruettiger onto their shoulders.

Rudy Ruettiger

TMZ spoke to #79 Jay Achterhoff -- who literally participated in Rudy's legendary quarterback sack ... and dude insists the events in the movie are "98% true."

Achterhoff tells us, "Rudy was carried off the field that day ... but not as a joke -- but because he finally got to play."  He added. "You've never in your life seen a guy who wanted to be on the field more."

Achterhoff -- now a regional manager for a trucking company -- also says he's "disappointed that [Montana] wasn't more supportive of Rudy" during the shocking interview with Dan Patrick yesterday.

So how does Rudy feel about Montana's comments? His rep told us, "The movie is based on his story. Other than that ... no comment."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

thehoch

Montana is a prick, what else can you say. Even if it were exaggerated a little, why not add to the legend, in order to inspire the underdogs out there in the world.

What a real *******!

Lord Snooty

Hannah Montana was wrong about Liam... life goes on, get over it pops!

pink floyd

just admit it montana you are wrong.just watched the clip on youtube.looks like rudy sacked the quarterback to me.

ScroogeMcDuck

Does it really matter whether a crappy 17 year old movie is true or not? Who cares.

MasonMediaToday

Montana didn't say the carry off was a joke, he merely implied it wasn't as moving and serious to the team as the movie depicted. He also said the starters didn't throw their jerseys on the coach's desk in protest for Rudy to play and Rudy even admits that didn't happen too. Montana said the crowd wasn't chanting "Rudy" either which I found over the top when I first watched the film. I still like Rudy, but I thought it was great radio, thank you Dan Patrick for a great show. Maybe one day I can be a Chris from Syracuse!

jpm4444

Joe Montana has said several times he didnt' like Rudy. Many have said it was pretty real.

Montana can be pretty petty. His whining when he had a hurt back claiming the 49ers weren't behind him, to him not speaking to Steve Young because he was trying to get his job. Montana can be an arrogant guy sometimes.

MasonMediaToday

Montana will always be the man!

Barb

That was really unnecessary, like you were unset that he stole your thunder. Why would you say such diminishing things and hurt this guy like that. The only thing you did was lesson my opinion of YOU.

fleiter

It's sad that Montana who has had so much glory would try to take Rudy's only moment of glory. What a ****.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

Kelly

I believe Rudy. I heard him speak at a conference a few years ago. He's a nice guy with no reason to lie. Not at all "Hollywood."

I used to like Montana til the shape ups commercial and now this....midlife crisis??

Kelly

* "In little leauge baseball I dropped an easy outfeild flyball and lost the championship.Still think about that to this day.Got home and my dog bit me,my girlfreind broke up with me and I got a cold dinner,,,

Posted at 4:10 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by MIDNIGHT TOKER"

We've all had epic fails. I think I was married to a Spencer wanna be looking back! That must have sucked though.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

Posted at 4:19 AM on Sep 9, 2010 by Kelly
I will take a dropped ball over a Spence look alike any day of the week.You really must have been blinded by love

Patti Rhoades

Montana just wanted some attention...so why not steal someone elses attention.....sour grapes loser..you should have taken the high road!!

Kelly

Um, I wouldn't say that...I might have thought that at the time though. I'll just chalk it up to being young and stupid. That mistake won't happen again! I'm not that girl anymore. It's all good though. Not bitter...crap happens and you go on.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments