Cinnabun Toughens Up for Texas -- Too Tough?

9/18/2010 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jesse James' beloved sidekick Cinnabun is getting ready to join Jesse at his new home in Texas ... but first she needs to get strong enough for the big move.

You may remember Cinnabun went through a whole ordeal earlier this year when she went missing -- and returned 23 pounds lighter. Jesse's prized pit bull is working on getting stronger -- pretty clear from the video.

Some dog people will tell you ... this type of "exercise" is SOP for pit bulls -- others say it's inhumane and dangerous.

Ginger

Don't tell me it's the owner who makes pit's so dangerous. When one of my sons was 7 years old, the 'sweetest' pit in the world attacked him. What Jesse is doing is what owners do who want to strengthen their bite. My question is 'why?' Pits are dangerous and there's no way around that.

caitlin

Max-- I do completely agree with you that Jesse is not welcome in Austin. We FIERCELY protect our own and have a strong feeling he will be surprised to see the response of Austinites when he is seen around town. I'm not a heckler but Sandy is our girl and in Texas, we still believe in chivalry and respect for women. His behavior will never be forgotten.

On another note, Austin is known for its amazing community of pet owners and lovers.
Part of being a responsible pet owner is understanding that HUMANS have selectively bread pit bulls or huskies or any dog for their appearance or work capabilities which has led to inbreeding and selective problems for each breed.
Due to the popularity of the strength of Rottie's and Pit Bulls, a lot of very bad people saw their strength and chose to breed them selectively to be more mean, to win more fights and more money.

Every animal, if abused, as the capability to lash out as all creatures either fight or flight. Domesticated dogs have descended from predatory animals, therefore no matter what breed, if an dog is threatened or in fear from their point of view, they will lash out big or small.

I have worked 24 years with animals in veterinary offices and shelters. I have owned many breeds including a pit bull and a pit bull/german shepard mix. While they do play rough and tend to have more "crazy" obsessions like tire swings, in all my years of experience the only animals that were dangerous were made that way through and aggressive and abusive owner.

I do truly believe that the problem is not the breed, its the individuals who are attracted to the breed for the wrong reasons. I think that animal adoption should be taken as seriously as adopting a child and that you should be approved by the state before you're allowed to adopt any dog. not because they're misbehaved on their own, but they truly are a weapon in the hands of someone ignorant, abusive or neglecting. I think that the only way to stop this "pit bull crisis" is to be sure that they're only in good hands. Then you will understand that its not a "white trash" or "gangster ghetto" its a sweet animal who's been abused for many years.

When a child, who has abusive parents, lashes out at school and is an absolute demon, who is really at fault? The parents who wrapped their child into a world of anger and fear, or the child who responded the only way he knows how?

Tony

This does NOTHING for the dog. All this is fo the owner, Pit owners like to show off and this is one way they think they are doing it. Look at most pitbull owners they have this "look at me" ego. Animals sufer for are injoyment AGAIN!

janelmw

If you really want to know pit bulls, go to www.workingpitbull.com and badrap.org. They are just dogs, just a bully breed. Let's keep our ignorance to ouselves, shall we?

caitlin

And if an animal bites someone and the owners says they're perfect and sweet and they'd never hurt their dog or tie them up for days at a time.
They are simply covering their own ass.
Why would you admit to a person that your dog just mauled that you maybe should have been a better owner? Theres no way to prove abuse to a dog, as they can't talk, so its too easy to lie.
Especially when it some states, you're actually (thank god) held responsible if you know your dog is agressive and they hurt a human.

Nicole

I have heard both sise from poeple who think they are killer dogs and from poeple who swear by them....

My opinion there are some dogs owners who know what they are doing and there are some that THINK they know what they are doing... obviously from the attacks that have occured its both the owner and the dog responsible. some dogs regarldess of of the breed are a more likely to attack. and those that do attack prove there owners cannot handle to be a dog owner.

as i have a bulldog, and seeing that a bulldog has attacked frightens me an owner can mistreat a dog like that, as they are very laid back animals so it truly comes down to the owner and how they are treated and hanlded by the owner

julie

And to think Sandra would have had her baby around this dog? Just scary. I don't care these dogs turn in the blink of an eye.

Nunya

JUST LOVE RACIST, NON-EDUCATED COMMENTS.....THIS IS AN ACTIVITY FOR A DOG....THE DOG ISN'T TRYING TO SHRED THE ROPE, IT'S PLAYTIME... MY AKITA DID THE SAMETHING, SO DID MY FOXHOUND... ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS CRUEL AND TRAINING A DOG TO FIGHT REALLY HAS NO CLUE.... STICK WITH CATS AND GERBILS

Jeepers

That's how they train them to hold on to toddlers so they won't get away. I AM NOT A PIT BULL FAN.

Jen

The dog is having a blast! That's what dogs do.

ChillzReborn

People sure are ignorant about pit-bulls and how dogs play in general. Take your nose out of the air and come back to reality folks. ALL dogs do that and shame on TMZ for hinting anything different. I have a border collie who does the same thing and o ya', I used to have a pug that did it to. Having a poll for "inhumane or appropiate" is a joke within itself and is just looking to get people razzing on Jesse. The more I read articles on this site, the more I realize how bias the reporting really is.

magnolia

TMZ: even asking the question, "is this humane" is incredibly irresponsible on your part, and just plain salacious.

anyone with knowledge of dogs will tell you that cinnabun could have let go at any time. she was not responding aggressively. she wasn't growling, and even if she was, dogs growl during play.

pits, amstaffs, what have you, have the strongest jaws of all dogs - your pet chihuahua isn't going to do trick like this, but cinnabun is a big girl and it's fine.

i've worked with dogs for over 30 years, and i'm a certified animal behaviorist trained by the ASPCA in NYC.

caitlin

And yeah, I'm totally going to go there...

Where were YOU when your child was in a situation where they could be mauled by ANY animal? Did you not teach your child that a dog is not a teddy bear and that they perceive invasion of their space by a stranger as an aggressive and predatory act? One thing people forget is that dogs are ANIMALS and they are still instinctive regardless of breed.
ANY animal will protect themselves if threatened, even if its an irrational fear. A dog is not a play thing for a child, because children are not mature enough to understand how you must treat an animal and dogs do not yet recognize children as their superior that they should be submissive too.

me not you

I've even seen this on Stupid Pet Tricks where a pit-bull did this and refused to come down off the rope, he loved it so much. Nothing wrong with it. I'm sure PETA will have some nonsense to say about it though.

carol davis

I am a middle class white women who owns 2 pitbulls. I do not allow this kind of behavior. It only fosters the view most people have of pits and their owners. These dogs are a great breed, but not for every one. The require time and attention and the right kind of socialization. As with all things, the wrong person can make something bad happen even with a small dog. It is a pleasure and a responsibility to own thes dogs and should not be taken lightly