Polygamous Family: TV Show is Worth the Risk

9/28/2010 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The polygamous family featured on the TLC reality show "Sister Wives" is speaking out after learning they've become the target of a felony bigamy investigation in Utah ... claiming the show is a "risk worth taking."

0928_sister_wives_getty_EXD
TMZ just received a statement from the Brown family -- saying, "We are disappointed in the announcement of an investigation, but when we decided to do this show, we knew there would be risks."

The family continues, "But for the sake of our family, and most importantly, our kids, we felt it was a risk worth taking."

Yesterday, the Lehi Police Department in Utah announced that the family is being investigated for felony bigamy ... and plans to turn over all evidence to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution.

The show features a 42-year-old man named Kody Brown -- who has 3 wives, a prospective 4th wife and 13 children.

rhonda

What is wrong with there way of life it is just not our way of life. If it works for them so be it. I think it is better than a man having many mistress and the heart ache it causes. At least the all love each other and work at being a family. But that would be something new for alot of people, that you actually have to work at being a family. It is a full time job filled with alot of love. And if I was younger that lifestyle would not bother me a bit as long as I ws the first wife.

thetoothfairy

I rather watch something like this on tv then all of the violence and sex we see on it! We all know that the violence that is on tv and video games messes up kids!

How can this mess up these kids? They have way more love around then a single family.

justsaying

LOL. I tell ya, White people are a trip. No.....They're a trip and a half.

LaToya Jackson

He looks a little gay to me .. *I'm just saying

Donna

I hope they continue to do the show. I loved it! They are all so genuine ..and loveable. It is a great peak into that kind of lifestyle. If gay people can marry...why not polygimists?

Will

I don't get the 6.5 wives comment. What Am I overlooking?

moi

I'm assuming he was smart and while he may be legally married to his first wife, he's "spiritually" married to his others. That's usually how they get around the whole bigamy thing. From what I know the family is happy-so my question is-since they seem to be working together as a family unit why not just leave them alone? he's taking care of his responsibilities instead of being a deadbeat dad.

I live in Lehi and they aren't the only Polygamous in town-the Lehi-Draper area has many of them.

justme

Why aren't they wearing the little house on the prairie dresses to the ground and hair down to their waist like that weird ass cult here in texas that was all over the news a couple of years back where the dude married the girls who were 14? they just wanna get it on with the other chicks- they're bi....just sayin'.....

Dee

He's only legally married to the first wife anyway. The rest aren't recognized legally.

electriczipper

where did the tubby one come from..I would bang all of them except fatty

JBDragon

Hey, if Gay Marriage is a right then you might as well open the doors to EVERYTHING else out there also!!! Really, who didn't see this one coming. You can't have it both ways. If it's NOT FAIR for the Gay people, then it's NOT FAIR for the polygamous people out there along with others I'd rather not get into. It's a RIGHT for them also. Once you change Marriage from 1 Man and 1 Woman, it no longer means anything. It's in the gutter so it just no longer matters.

Gia

wait wait.....he's test driving a 4th wife? BAHAHAHA
WOW.

On a more serious note:

Is it just me or do they have this completely ASS BACKWARDS?!?! How is money/an hour of tv time more important than the safety and security of your children??!! The world can get by without your ridiculous tv show, but your children cannot get by if their multiple parents are locked up.

IDIOTS!
Shame on you TLC.....SHAME!

Gia

wait wait.....he's test driving a 4th wife? BAHAHAHA
WOW.

On a more serious note:

IDIOTS!
Shame on you TLC.....SHAME!

Cat Owner

I am disgusted that TLC is going to air this. Send them an email, I did. I wish LA, Ink was not on this channel. I hate all the other shows on here except that one. WTH?

Jennyy

They clearly said last night he is only legally married to the first wife and they are not receiving any social assistance. Three of the four wives work and one stays home and tends to the kids. He also works. The kids are happy the house is big and clean there is plenty of food. They are all consenting adults and there is no inappropriate behavior in front of the kids. Y'all need to take care of your own families before you go knocking this one.