Polygamous Family: TV Show is Worth the Risk

9/28/2010 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The polygamous family featured on the TLC reality show "Sister Wives" is speaking out after learning they've become the target of a felony bigamy investigation in Utah ... claiming the show is a "risk worth taking."

0928_sister_wives_getty_EXD
TMZ just received a statement from the Brown family -- saying, "We are disappointed in the announcement of an investigation, but when we decided to do this show, we knew there would be risks."

The family continues, "But for the sake of our family, and most importantly, our kids, we felt it was a risk worth taking."

Yesterday, the Lehi Police Department in Utah announced that the family is being investigated for felony bigamy ... and plans to turn over all evidence to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution.

The show features a 42-year-old man named Kody Brown -- who has 3 wives, a prospective 4th wife and 13 children.

oBAMa

Another disgusting family on the craptastic breeder channel known as tlc. I'm sick on that channel and their nasty shows they inflict on the public.

Lar

TLC sucks and this type of show has no value whatsoever.

Lisa

Are they on welfare? Are they all consenting adults, no teen girls sold into bondage? Are their kids all being taken care of properly? If taxpayers are not supporting them, then I have no problem with their lifestyle. At least they are heterosexual, not deviants.

Alexis

So this ugly looking guy has permission to cheat from each member of his harem. OK...
SO Do the women get to have more than one husband? SMH. F-ing ridiculous.

jjmom22

I, too, have found recent TLC shows somewhat disgusting. It appears if they are promoting multiple births and multiple sexual partners. TLC stands for "The Learning Channel" not "The Looney Channel"...right? The only thing I learn from kate and her herd is how NOT to be annoying...and the Duggars make me ill!!!! Now, multiple marriages...yikes!!

wow

This guy must be nuts to want four women. Hell, most men can't handle one. Perhaps I should consider taking on two husbands. Hmmm...

One for the Good Guys

Just another "bleed the beast" cult family. It is ALWAYS about the money.

TT

I think as long as he only "legally" married the first wife he should be ok as far as polygamous charge...and all the chldren are well cared for and in school. What I don't get in these type cases...why is it only ok for the man to take multiple wives? I bet if one or all of his wives said they wanted to take another husband he wouldn't be for that at all. The people that get involved in these type relationships hide behind the Bible and God as to why...but it's just an excuse to have as many women as they can find...that will tolerate this BS

Anita

I think the show is discusting. I had to change the channel.

jen

I don't see why marriage to many wives makes it illegal. I think each one of us knows atleast one guy who's sleeping with more than one woman at one time (most of the time they are unknowing). At least these women are voluntarily choosing this lifestyle, and this guy would be happy to be financially obligated and spritually devoted to provide for as many as he chooses. I just wish women got on this trend in the reverse!

Tim in SanBerdoo

#12
Call Me crazy but as long as their consenting Adults I have no issue with it .Having said that ,I think if 1 does have multiple spouses they should have to support them fully without government help ie food stamps ,medi-cal ,etc. If they can I see no real issue .Just saying ...

Posted at 9:23 AM on Sep 28, 2010 by Puhleeze

I totally agree. As long as they are not on government assistance, who cares how many spouses anyone else has. The only thing that is important is whether ALL parties are consensual. If each of the spouses know that the others are there and is OK with it, it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Dawn

@Tammy (comment#92) - Utah only recognizes common law marriages IF the parties get a judicial decree to the effect a common law marriage exists or existed between them, otherwise it's not recognized as such.

Darlene

Screwed up people & they are screwing up the kids!!! Shameful!!!

JLS

What they are doing is illegal. I hope this arrogant man is prosecuted. Mormons at their best. They personify their religion.

always

That fatty sitting next to him counts as 2, he's not good looking and can see he isn't very picky about his so called wifes. Have to have a screww lose to live that way with children. Sick people . Gay people live as a family , not a group . They should be locked up and the children taken away.