Comedian

Greg Giraldo

is Dead

9/29/2010 9:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Greg Giraldo died today at the age of 44 -- five days after he was hospitalized for an overdose.

Greg Giraldo death.
Greg had been hospitalized in New Brunswick, NJ after he overdosed on prescription pills last weekend. A source said the overdose was not a suicide attempt.

Greg GiraldoTMZ has obtained what is believed to be one of the last photos of Giraldo -- taken at the Stress Factory comedy club in New Brunswick, NJ on Friday September 24 ... the night before he OD'd.

Giraldo was best known for his celebrity roast appearances. He had also been a judge on "Last Comic Standing."

A source close to Greg tells us, "Greg passed away today at the hospital in New Brunswick as a result of an accidental overdose. His family was by his side."

We're told plans are being made for a public memorial service.

More Greg Giraldo

RIP Greg Giraldo.
More Today in TMZ History

shawn olsen

So sad to hear, I loved him on the roasts. Sympathy to his family, and who said illegal drugs are the worst,it is beginning to look more and more like the legal drugs are killing more people now my boyfriends sisters are both on pain pills and have an addiction, too easy to get, RIP greg.

GEOFF KOLE

I AM SO SAD ABOUT THIS. I LOVED GREG, HE WAS A GREAT GUY. DRUGS AND ALCOHOL HAVE CLAIMED ANOTHER ONE OF US. THIS IS THE SADDEST DAY OF MY LIFE IN THIS BUSINESS, CONCERNING THIS BUSINESS.

ndgboy

I here it will be an open casket roast!!!

To soon?

That one is for you Greg!!!

kevin

so sad. this dude was hilarious! i didnt care who was getting roasted. i had to hear his stuff. again, so sad.

Katie

So sorry for this loss and to his family... we are praying for you and thinking about you. God Bless.

billy

Greg Giraldo can finally be buried next to his comedy routine, which sadly passed away 10 years before he did...

That's the best I could do for you on short notice...happy trails.

SusanMossNancyGrace

RIP, he must of been pretty depressed to take his own life

CrisDizzle

He did roast. Now he's roasted!

Paul

well apparently he just divorced his wife and he decided to have a humongous party in his hotel room right before a show, Witnesses say it was like a zoo in the hotel room. I guess there were a lot of drugs being passed around and when you take a bunch of different ones like that your body just cant handle it.

Hill

Yes, they have to monitor the doctors. But how about people taking the pills? No one's forcing them down their throat. People gotta stop putting "partying" above everything. Some freaking party. Get me off the evite list.

jmg

R.I.P.

JC

I hope they question Mike Destefano.... We all saw his death threats to Greg........hummmmm

Joao

My condolences to his family

Booshy

To T....I'm no Dr. but it sounds like maybe Liver Failure. Most pain pills have high levels of Acetaminophen which is highly toxic to the liver and if combined with alchohol it's even worse.

jeff

homie committed suicide. nobody dies 5 days after an overdose. he tried to kill himself, failed, and his family respected his wishes and either had him killed or took him off whatever necessary equipment that kept him alive.