Mel Gibson Divorce: He Could Pay for His Screwups

9/30/2010 9:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson's lawyers say they've submitted a settlement offer to estranged wife Robyn, and they are "optimistic" they will reach a settlement next month.  But there's a big unresolved issue -- Mel's 2006 anti-Semitic rant and his 2010 tirades against Blacks, women and others have ruined one of the biggest assets in the marriage.

0930_mel_robyn_EX_TMZ_Getty_02
It sounds strange, but the "good will" of a famous person is considered an asset in a marriage -- something that has commercial value.  In the past Mel had a lot of good will that translated into being able to make movies that people would pay to see.

But after Mel's 2006 and 2010 rants, the good will has evaporated if not disappeared.  As a result ... the asset has been greatly devalued.

We're told one of the issues is whether Mel should have to pay Robyn for squandering his good will.

And the same principle applies to paying spousal support.  Mel has an argument that he's not really making much money anymore so he shouldn't have to pay support.  But there's a counter-argument -- Robyn shouldn't suffer because Mel screwed up.

0715_robyn_gibson_footer

Heidi Klum Quits Victoria's Secret

Don't expect to see Heidi Klum strutting the catwalk anytime soon -- because she's handing over her Angel wings.

0930_heidi_welcome_launch
After 13 years with the lingerie company, Klum is leaving Victoria's Secret -- telling the NY Post "All good things have to come to an end. I will always love Victoria’s Secret. It has been an absolutely amazing time."

Sources tell the Post that Klum is too busy with her own fashion line and "Project Runway."

Check out the many VS runway shows "The Body" has done since her first one in 1997!

Bristol Palin -- The Cheesiest Evidence of All

It's the newest, tastiest twist in the underage bar investigation surrounding Bristol Palin -- photos of the "Dancing with the Stars" contestant stuffing her face full of delicious NACHOS!

0929_bristol_gallery_launch_EX2

So why are the nachos important!?

As TMZ first reported, sources extremely close to Bristol are adamant that the "Dancing with the Stars" contestant was all clear to be inside the place when they shot a segment for the show last Friday ... insisting she only consumed the nachos.

Nicole Richie: 4 Outfits, 1 Day

Nicole Richie must have liked everything in her closet on Wednesday -- because she was spotted in four completely different outfits in one day!

0930_nicole_richie_welcome_launch

Celebrity Scramble!

Can you guess which glam gal's face got a gnarly celebrity scramblin'?

0924_celebrity_scramble_launch

Lindsay Lohan -- Return of the SCRAM

Lindsay Lohan has been reunited with her favorite accessory ... her SCRAM bracelet.

Lindsay Lohan SCRAM bracelet.
As we first reported, part of the conditions of Lindsay's bail is that she has to wear the bracelet again.

Third time's a charm (2010, 2007).

What's the Big Frigin' Difference?!

Give the following photos some extra special attention -- 'cause there are some super sneaky differences just waiting to be spotted!

0924_what_friggin_difference_launch
**HINT -- There are THREE differences in the above photo!**

shar

YEP...Robyn needs to get all she can get before Mel ends up penniless and on skid row. Look how his other choices are costing him his fortune. It's very sad because at one time Mel Gibson was Gold at the Box office and people seemed to really like him. Why did he snap? Who knows...but the guy needs to get himself some serious counseling.

leila

lets face it....they all snap. Marilyn Monroe said it perfectly..."ever since i became fampus I have been really weird"
That women was a genius. We may hate our celebs for losing the plot and dissapointing us. From Micheal Jackson with the skin and kids,and Madonna with her scary arms,and Mel and his crap.Im australian,I wanted to kill him for making us all look bad. Lets face it,do we have ANY idea what being famous over a longtime does to someones psychy. No...Lets just let them go nuts nd leavethem alone. They are human

Rodney

ENOUGH ABOUT MEL GIBSON & LINDSAY LOHAN! WE REALLY DON'T CARE
ABOUT HASBEEN LINDSAY LOHAN! MY DAUGHTERS DON'T LIKE DRUGGIES
OR DRUNKS!

duckie

mel with his big mouth will find out soon that talk is not cheap, it could cost millions, better him than me

jaker

listen up folks, mel is an alcoholic...i mean a rich alcoholic. none the less an alcoholic. that means he is begging to give his money away becuase he is impaired and therefore more stupid than those around him. it's a great time to take advantage of his handicap. you know intice him to hit you,drive by him and he'll bang your car. if you are a young woman. you're in luck. flash a wink ,or raise your skirt a bit to high,it's a lock!. if i was a hooker i would have him begging to let him off the hook. this guy is a money pit with no bottom.

Rhea

Plz... I'm sure Robyn will get more than enough to be confortable. Besides a spouse is not a slave to your material needs. The argument can be made that Mel's alcohol problem leading to his bad publicity stemmed from a negligent wife who didnt provide comfort and companionship (sex) thus causing abandonment feelings in poor Mel. It just drove him to alcoholism and other women. I don't believe that of course but I am offended when ex-wives treat an ex like a horse or a money bringing slave when they have failed to keep their part of the marriage agreement after producing a few offsprings (which even animals can do) . A broken marriage is caused by BOTH parties and both need to pay up !

Jo

Robyn should absolutely not be held responsible for her hard drinking, anti semetic, womanizing & bigoted husbands downfall. Mel Gibson did this to himself, Robyn did nothing to him except take his garbage for so many years. I hope he loses everything to her and hope he moves back to Australia soon. My heart goes out to his Robyn and his children who I am sure are very disappointed in him....

heli

Alaska officials have reportedly launched an investigation into Bristol's night out -- because state law would only allow the 19-year-old to be inside Rumrunner Bar and Grill if it's been designated as a bona fide restaurant, and she was there to eat.My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at agelessmate.com a nice and free place for younger women and older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

Cheryl

I am truly sorry to see how everything has gone so wrong for Mel. I think he made some really bad decisions and when those decisions came back to haunt him he melted down in front of the world...the price you pay for fame. I was really hoping he would reunite with Robyn.

heli

I am an Air Force and single at present .I need a woman who can love me back ..I also uploaded my hot photos on Uniformedmingle .c om under the name of hoho212..It's the largest and best club for seeking Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Police Force, and the admirers of those who wear the uniform.I just hope you don't mind me being a soldier ...Please Check it out!I'm serious.

durissus

I think divorcing spouses should split everything in half. Good for community property states.

philobeto

I dont care what he says, he makes great movies and I willl always watch them. Mel rocks, you posters suck!

Get over it you pathetic bimbos! Go get a job or something!

Patr1x

The only people that win are the s***bag lawyers, and they are all s***bags. His wife hardly deserves millions of dollars, she should get a little money and cab fare home. His kids will be set for life. Mel will make a comeback, produce a killer movie and all will be forgiven. He just has the balls to say what most people are thinking.

Andrea

Robyn is a greedy EX-wife. He tarnished his image and can't make good money anymore to give to her? She got what, something like 100 million in the divorce settlement? Poor thing, she's broke! Robyn shouldn't suffer? Suffer? I wish I could suffer with all that money.

t

R U F'ng kidding me!!! He shouldnt pay her a dime. I love how spouses get to RAPE their ex's for more than half the assets of a marriage when it fails. Give me a break. These (mostly) women did nothing to earn the $$$, but get paid huge amounts at divorce, and still want more!!! what a load of CRAP!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments