Tony Curtis

is Dead

9/30/2010 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has confirmed Tony Curtis has died of cardiac arrest.

Tony Curtis died.
The legendary actor passed away Wednesday in his Las Vegas home.

As we previously reported, Tony -- who suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- was hospitalized in July near Las Vegas after suffering breathing problems while making an appearance at a local Costco.

Curtis starred in such classics like "Some Like It Hot" and "Spartacus" -- and was nominated for an Oscar for his role in "The Defiant Ones."

He was 85.

More Tony Curtis

Tony Curtis dead.

More Today in TMZ History

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

janet

Bernie Shwartz, Brooklyn, NY. Tony Curtis actor name.

Jamie Leigh, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.

HEATHER

SO SORRY TO HEAR OF TONY'S PASSING.MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU JAMIE LEE AND FAMILY.
HE SEEMED LIKE AN AMAZING MAN. I LOVED HIM IN "SOME LIKE IT HOT." HE SEEMED VERY GENUINE IN INTERVIEWS I HAD SEEN HIM DO. A LOT LIKE JAMIE LEE.
HE WILL BE MISSED.

Mark

Tony Curtis was truly a master charicter actor. One of my many favorite movies he starred in was "The Great Race." Before being discovered, he and Bea Arthur were in acting class together in NYC. His birth name was Bernie Schwartz. Playing roles of comedy, drama, romance and more, demonstrated his great passion for his acting career. Thank you Mr. Curtis. You have greatly enriched my life, as I am sure that you have enriched the lives of everyone who has ever known you. An Eternity of Blessings be yours. With love always........

ZB

Well thats a shame. I grew up watching him define 'male' for many years. And no one...no one does Spartacus like Mr Curtis. Flashes go through my head as I think back on his moments and what always seems to be there is that crooked grin with a hint of mischief in it. So a Mans man who knew how to take it light and smile sometimes. You will be missed...but you will always live forever.....SPARTACUS!!

Brian

Every so often, the passing of a star is actually felt more personally and is not just another news story.

"Some Like It Hot" and "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood are two of my all time favorite movies.

The era of class is slowly fading away.

JEFFRIBAS

ele morreu como viveu...tranquilamente...siga em paz, caro amigo...

go in peace, dear friend (RIP)

I'M GO MISS YOU

william Garbacz

I went to the funeral. Arnold Schwarzenegger cracked everybody up with his jokes.
Here's the link:

Texacan

Looked good in DRAG!

Libby

Rest in peace. hope all is well

Mario H. Casuga

I've met Mr. Tony Curtis in one of Hollywood Collector shows. He's an iconic actor, a peerless legend , above all, genuine human being. We've suffered a cosmic loss by his passing away; but we've gotten a windfall through his body of work that'll be remembered by countless generations to come.

In a starring role, wasn't he exceptionally great with Marilyn Monroe in "Some Like It Hot"? God bless their souls...

Mario H. Casuga

I truly lament the passing of Tony Curtis - an iconic actor and a true human being! Rest in peace my beloved hero!

Mario H. Casuga

Mr. Curtis was a tireless thespian who took on a myriad of acting roles that transcended even the strictest of standards. He was magnificent in "Taras Bulba" as the son of Yul Brynner and a total riot in "The Great Race" opposite Jack Lemmon. Tony was an epitome of courage in "Spartacus" as Kirk Douglas' Roman slave ally; while his sterling performance in "The Defiant Ones" earned him a well-deserved Oscar nomination.
Jamie Lee, you must be truly proud of your Dad -- by all accounts, he'll go down in history as one of Hollywood's greatest stars.

Tommy G.

I THOUGHT HE DIED THIRTY YEARS OR SO AGO.FUC*ING L.A. CITY OF NECROPOLIS.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6