Singer Mario Arrested -- Allegedly Attacked Mother

10/1/2010 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mario -- the platinum-selling R&B singer -- was arrested in Baltimore this morning for allegedly assaulting his own mother in an apartment they share.

Mario arrested.

According to police, Mario's mother Shawntia Hardaway -- a former heroin addict -- told cops the former "Dancing with the Stars" contestant had been "throwing and damaging property" ... and pushed her around with his hands and forearms.

Cops say they found several broken items inside the apartment -- including a broken china cabinet, a busted mirror and a hole in the closet door.

Mario's mother also told police the 24-year-old singer had attacked her earlier in the week -- in which he pushed her "eight feet into a living room wall, where Ms. Hardaway hit her head on the wall."

Mario -- real name Mario Dewar Barrett -- was eventually arrested this morning for 2nd degree assault. He was released on $50,000 bond.
0720_mugshot_footer

Nin

His mother is a former or maybe still scoring herion user. Not to condone putting his hands on his mother but she probably relapsed and he caught her. She really hasn't been there for him in his life although he still trys to help her and it probably just sent him over the edge. Even when he had his little reality show she was using and didn't have a care in the world about him but would ask him for money so she and her whack ass boyfriend could go "score". He would beg her to stop and she would say she will when she's ready nobody's going to make her no matter what they did or who it was. Drugs is a powerful demon. The show was sad to watch...his situation is sad to say the least.

jay

my momma was on drugs too...so i know how the man is feelin, but you don't EVER hit yo momma, i don't care what the situation is...but his momma need to kick dat ****...i don''t even think he "hit" her

@much4words

all joking aside....i think this may have been a case of a relapsing mother and a son who is fed up/either way Mario is and always will be my favorite! much prayers for the both of them...the system and the media has a way of making a mole hill into a mountain!!I gotcha back Mario, and as far as his moms is concerned; keep supporting her M, if not you then who!!!

knowitall

Obviously, you all are not familiar with his situation. His mother is a crack head and he continues to try to help her. Which, I dont doubt, he was once again trying to do and things got out of hand.

J TALLZ

I BELIEVE THERE WAS A REASON FOR THIS. I DONT THINK MARIO IS A MEAN PERSON. I'VE MET HIM AND HE WAS VERY PLEASANT. HOPE HE GETS THRU WHATEVER HE IS GOING THROUGH.

Dara

Some of you are just plain ignorant. Mario and his mother live in a condo that HE pays for. He has repeatedly tried to help her get over her addiction, to no avail. None of us knows what happened there but I do know what it is like dealing with drug addicts. You should never make judgements before knowing all the facts. I think some of you just make posts to see your names online...

Josh

honestly would you really believe a former heroin addict? lets be real now her son is worth millions of dollars and he has always defended his mother so i doubt he would attempt to put his hands on her. maybe break sum things in the house get a little mad but it says nothing about bruises or scratches on her so i think the whole thing is a bunch of b.s and whats the issue with him living with him mom? SHE probably lives with HIM since hes the one with a career shes just a junkie

carmen

Mario is a nice young man who's been threw alot with his mom,she has embarassed him sense he was a child and he managed to do something good in his life so she could do good.I hope he didn't breakup his stuff, drug addicts don't own nothing. He probaly found her drugs or suprised and came home and found her cooking up he herion. Give him a chance to find out what happen i promise you when she find out her bread will not be buttered by him anymore the real truth will come out.

Kenyatta

Ok, to be honest there has to be more to this story. No one should put there hands on a woman, especially a mom, but his mom is a very known and bad drug addict. She isn't recovered, she is an addict. She has been on every show from MTV to Tyra talking about how she choose her drugs over her kids. She lives with him because he helps her stay clean. If something like that happened, I am sure it had to do with drugs, money, etc. I usually jump on the guy who does something like this but being I know his story and I also know what it is like to be around someone who says they are recovering but really not, I can't come to hard at him just yet. I just think that the fact he never punched or slapped her and just pushed her showed that maybe she was coming at him or he was trying to stop her. I just think he might have caught her trying something and it got heated. He might have been trying to throw her out and she wouldn't leave. It is sad, but I just don't think it is as simple as some make it out to be.

Danielle

This is sad. I dont condone violence against anyone. But if you watched that MTV show in which his mom was trying to cope with drug abuse, you can see he was loyal to her in trying to keep her off drugs. I dont know what pushed him over the edge, probably his mom went back on drugs and he reached a breaking point. I would of just called the cops on her if that was the case here.But any who dont hit your mom.Shocking to here this.

Danielle

Miss Sara

I find it SICKENING that some of the commentors state, "he was taking care of his mother... she probably relapsed." IDGAF what the "REASONING" is. Today is October 1st, Domestic Violence Awareness Month. NO MAN should put his hands on a woman - EVER. PERIOD. When you start to “reason” abuse or violence, you are not taking responsibility for your own actions and you are BLAMING the abused because you CHOSE to NOT control YOURSELF. That is one of the traits of an abuser. They do NOT take responsibility for their actions. Everything else is always someone else’s fault. If a “man” will hit his own MOTHER you BEST believe he will hit any other woman.

miseri mizrahi

his mom is/was a heroin addict. she may have relapsed and he wouldn't give her any money for her addiction... Look at my eyes....roll 'em

Meg

I don't condone anyone putting their hands on their parents, but I think that the "special place in hell" comment is very ignorant and closed-minded. Has anyone in these comments lived with a drug-addicted parent? Well, one time, my Dad(the drug-addicted parent, at the time) came to our house and tried to throw my Mom down a flight of steps. So I went in the house and got my bat and hit him across the head and back with it. I know I'm not going to Hell for protecting my mother. People need to think before they post idiotic comments on a situation they have never had to live through.

Tiffany

Anyone who knows the singer Mario knows he lives with his Mother because she has been on and off of Herion since he was a baby. MTV had a special about this young man about three years ago trying to save his mother who was battling her addiction till this day. And yes they showed how upset it mad him to see his mother high after "shooting up" in the bathroom. If he left his mother in the streets to be a dope fein he would be a terrible person. Stupid mutha****as are fast to judge the situation. Dumbasses!!!