Singer Mario Arrested -- Allegedly Attacked Mother

10/1/2010 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mario -- the platinum-selling R&B singer -- was arrested in Baltimore this morning for allegedly assaulting his own mother in an apartment they share.

Mario arrested.

According to police, Mario's mother Shawntia Hardaway -- a former heroin addict -- told cops the former "Dancing with the Stars" contestant had been "throwing and damaging property" ... and pushed her around with his hands and forearms.

Cops say they found several broken items inside the apartment -- including a broken china cabinet, a busted mirror and a hole in the closet door.

Mario's mother also told police the 24-year-old singer had attacked her earlier in the week -- in which he pushed her "eight feet into a living room wall, where Ms. Hardaway hit her head on the wall."

Mario -- real name Mario Dewar Barrett -- was eventually arrested this morning for 2nd degree assault. He was released on $50,000 bond.
0720_mugshot_footer

MP

I don't think HE lives with his mother. I think his mother lives with him and since she's a former heroin addict I think it's nice of him to let her live with him. Perhaps not so nice to beat the crap out of her.

S.Lewis

This is a sad situation. Nothing his mother could have done deserves being assaulted. It's a shame because he seemed like a decent, repectable guy. The bible says to honor thy mother & thy father. If it was drug-related I hope see gets help. He also needs help dealing with issues pertaining his mother. I wish them both the best of luck & I will pray for them both.

blA

HES NEVER EVEN HAD HIT. GET THIS DIRTBAG OUT OF THE NEWS

nann1968

If you don't know who he is; shut up. He is not a rapper he's an R&B singer whose music you probably listen to.

Those who have made comments about rappers sounds very racist.

He is a good boy. All that he's tried to do for his herion addict mom. I feel sorry for him.

She also has younger children at home that Mario helps take care of. I don't condone a child ever hitting their mother but I do understand after all he's done to try to get her clean.

Point blank she's chosen the drugs over her kids.

I think that he should try to get custody of his brothers, raise them himself, and let his mother go. She needs to hit rock bottom.

Boondoggle

1. Mario is NOT a rapper, he is a singer.
2. His mother lives with HIM, not the other way around.
3. He has a very young brother that he takes care of because his mom is only occasionally responsible.
4. No one knows if anyone hit anyone in that house. The only evidence is broken furniture, and last time I checked, breaking furniture is NOT abuse.
5. The addiction of his mother is relevant because she has lied repeatedly in the past, and Mario has a squeaky clean record AND a history of supporting his mother through thick and thin.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Ummmm, who?!?!?

Brittani Rollins

Wow! I can't believe it! I just met him last week in Dallas, and he seem like the sweetest guy ever. He took one of my friends back to his hotel room after meeting her, and she was telling me how sweet he was and how the talked all night about life and stuff. hopefully he will get through this. Luv ya Mario!

Elle...

HES NEVER EVEN HAD HIT. GET THIS DIRTBAG OUT OF THE NEWS

Posted at 5:20 PM on Oct 1, 2010 by blA
SHUT UP HE HAS HAD SEVERAL HITS.. FOR EX: leT ME LOVE YOU.. THINKING OF YOU.. BREAK UP AND JUST A FRIEND ARE A FEW HIT SONGS HE HAS HAD.. HIS LATEST CD DNA IS THE BOMB HE IS LIKE FINE WINE HE GETS BETTER WITH AGE.. SO KNOW U STUFF BE FOR U SPEAK CUZ U END UP SOUNDING DUMB... THANKS ALOT..

shareece

ummm am i the only one wondering why the hell he lives with his mother in an APARTMENT? isn't he a platnium selling R&B artist? ****ing chump.....

Elle...

@132 because thats where he wants to live..and if u knew anything about him his mother lives with him. and since he is always working to support his mother makes perfect sence he has a younger brother who has friends and fam that live there so why should he have a house off some where that more work for him.. duhh

Cburna

Wow. First let me clear the air for the smart people who love to comment about "gang bangin' rappers". Mario is and never was a rapper. Do your research before commenting on something you know nothing of, and of course he has to be a gang banger because he alleged pushed his mother. Right. I do not in anyway condone someone putting their hands on their mother as I am a firm believer in honoring your parents, however, yes she was a heroine addict last I remember and only them two know what really went down. So I'll save an ignorant judgement.

Mysteryuz

Mario's mother has been living with him forever. If she is back on drugs and it was found in the apartment he would be in trouble with her. However, since he is in legal trouble anyway, he may need to walk away and try to salvage his career. Mario has been tormented by his mom's drug usage for years. Who knows, maybe she slipped him something and now he's the addict? What a mess, his career will that a HUGE hit since he hasn't put out anything recently and beating up on your mom is major loser move.

Jess

There are two sides to every story. I'm not justifing Mario beating on his mother....at the same time, you never know what his mother put him through. You never know if she was abusive to him growing up, or what. Before I pick sides, I feel it's only fair to hear his side. for all we know, she may have came after him with a knife. We don't know! Let's wait and see.

djlovely

I saw the reality show when he was trying to get her help for addiction and she was refusing it and he was getting tired of giving her money for that **** and she got on his nerve..

Stacee

What do you expect from a guy who looks like a demented ape? Chris Brown and Spencer Pratt have the same look about him as this SOB.