Judgment Day in 'Sister Wives' Polygamy Case

10/6/2010 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The fate of the polygamist family featured in the TLC show "Sister Wives" is now in the hands of county prosecutors ... TMZ has learned.

1005_sister_wives_EX_TLC

The Utah County Attorney has confirmed ... the Lehi Police Department has completed their felony bigamy investigation into Kody Brown and his gigantic family -- and the case has been turned over to the Utah County Attorney ... who will ultimately decide whether or not to charge the family with a crime.

In Utah, bigamy can get you 5 years in prison ... though it's rarely prosecuted.

Kody Brown -- who has 3 wives, a fiancée and 13 children -- claims he was aware of the risk he was taking when he decided to put his family on the TLC reality show ... but insists it was a "risk worth taking."

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

sheryl

Funny 3 of the 4 wives work. He works. They all work to support their familys. Who are they hurting? If this works for them and they are all adult about the situation then why not. I would much rather see a man with 3 wives than see gay couples getting maried, but then again what works for some may not work for all.

Opening up a Pandora's Box

This is about the rule of law! If Kody Brown is NOT prosecuted, what's to prevent another religion from claiming they are being discriminated against for practicing female cir***cision, Sharia Law, etc., etc., etc.? THAT would be selective prosecution of another kind! Don't you all see when the practice of NOT prosecuting could be a VERY slippery slope? We already have non-enforcement of our immigration laws! And we all know how well THAT has turned out!

Frankly, I don't care what the lifestyle is as long as no one is physically, mentally, or emotionally harmed. But I care VERY much about the rule of law being enforced. If we aren't going to enforce a law, then it needs to be anulled. But until it is, it needs to be enforced! We must be VERY careful where we draw the line in the sand on the issue the Kody Brown family has brought to the forefront.

Opening up a Pandora's Box

I'm curious to know exactly what Kody Brown believed he was risking when he said it was "worth the risk". So far, I haven't found a clear statement regarding what he really meant.

toni

I watached 4 of the eposides for the first time last night. I feel that he is a hipocrate of the highest form..it would make him sick to think of one of his wives w/another man, but it's ok for him to 'use' these women as his breeding stock..mmm..I do believe however, that the wives/children look happy and clean so that is their decision to stay if that's the way they choose to live. I want to know what type of job this man has to beable to afford the houses,and the sporty care HE drives????

Captain Moroni

As far as the claim that he is a narcisstic jerk...Hmmm…the guy has no room of his own in his own house, he has no free time / alone time. His wives and kids have his time regimented. He has to be a referee between 4 women keeping them all happy and making sure that each feels equally loved and that there is no favoritism. His new wife isn’t some 20 year old hard body hottie. She’s a middle-aged divorce’ with kids. Hmm…sounds like paradise on Earth for any man.

For those who say that polygamists use the EXACT same arguments as homosexual parterns in same-sex "marriage" cases: right to free choice, right to privacy, right to equality...you are forgetting what REALLY started this "marry whoever you want" idea...The Lovings. They were the couple (he was White, she was Black) who got the ball rolling when they took their case to the Supreme Court and overturned laws outlawing mixed-race marriages. the lower court judge referenced the Bible in stating - "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

THOSE DARN RACE-MIXING SINNERS!!

As far as polygamy and the Bible goes.. in 2 Sam. 12:7-12, God tells David that he (god0 gave David all of his wives and that if that wasn't enough, God would have given him more, but because of his sin with Bathsheba, God took away his wives and gave them to another SINGLE/INDIVIDUAL man. If God hated polygamy, why did He give David all of those wives and promised more if David wanted more? Also, why would God give all of those women to just one man creating the exact same polygamous situation?

i couldn't live polygamy. Most days I want to subcontract my wife out to another man so that i can have some time to myself without the nagging and honey-do lists. If kody can keep all of the women happy and treated equally and be a loving father, he is BY FAR, a better man than i am.

patricia

its not just about kody its about the ladies and children too. they all seem well adjusted and happy. pursuing the legal matters will just put a wedge between them all and spending money on something like this doesnt fix the other crimes that are way worse and deserve more attetion than this. let them live their life they dont pay your bills. pay attetion to whats more in need than this.

jane joshkinoski

it all boils down to this..these people are affiliated with the LDS cult.(Mormons).whether it be the mainstream or not.And I know first hand..as an ex mormon,by choice and not born into the cult..that the women are brainwashed by the men.These women you see in this reality show..have all been taught from their births to be submissive to men.It was the decision of Cody brown to be in this reality show..so..naturally the women are going to follow his instructions.If this guy told these women to strip naked in front of the whole world..they would.It is this bad.It is such a shame..because as anyone can see these women are very sweet ladies and if they head not been born into this cult...they would not be doing what they are doing.And..old Cody? he would be doing what he knows best anyway..demoralizing women..because he can and he knows it.He's a nice looking guy until he opens his mouth and begins spewing.Before..long..the newest concubine will be pregnant and another little one will be indoctrinated in to their cult.

Janae Bird

Hi Kody--I've been trying to get a hold of you to talk. I guess you heard your sister, Christy, is pregnant again and not too happy about it. I've been asked to do a spin-off reality TV show on my polyamorous lifestyle which I adopted after I left the whole mess with Christy, Kurt and Sandy as I believe it is a more healthy and balanced lifestyle choice. I think I have some ideas that might help with your legal matters--first of all divorce Meri as that's why you are having the legal heat as you've contracted with the state to only be married to one wife. If you want to live a polygamous lifestyle you have to be lawfully wedded to your wives--not legally wedded or the federal and state governments have jurisdiction over you. I'm facing my own legal challenges when they arrested me in January for my Tantric services at Heartsong Healing Center. I truly believe that EVERYONE has the right to adult consensual sex however I do disagree with your polygamous lifestyle as I feel it is inherently abusive and repressive to women DUH!! I also want you to be aware about what's coming down the pipe when my three books Heartsong, Heart Wide Open and Becoming One--the journey toward God become popular as your sister, Christy, is a major player (DUH again) Good luck with your legal battles and you can contact me at my e-mail address: Janae Bird at heartsong@webpipe.net or on facebook

marie

Leave these people alone. They all know what they are doing and I have no right to judge them as you don't either. They are a happy family and the children are happy and well taken care of.is this not America and the right to freedom of speech and the freedom of religion. They are not forcing anything on us and they are not hiding anything they do. They just want to be a family ,have jobs and send their children to school. They have this show on TV to give us a chance to see how they live, they are not out to hurt anyone in any way.You would do more harm to tear this loving family apart and bring pain to the children. i would think that that law enforcement would have better things to do like catch real criminals .

shelia

kody brown shoud have the rhite to live his life as he and his whifes see fit thay take care of ther kids and thay love them . why doues everyone thank its ok to stike ther noes in other pepales lifes but if someone doues that to you its a terable thang why cant pepale leat them live and live them be?

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8