Universal

Pulls 'Gay' Movie Trailer

10/8/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bowing to growing outrage from the likes of Anderson Cooper, Universal Pictures has decided to pull the trailer for the movie "The Dilemma" -- and replace it with a new one some time today ... Universal tells TMZ.

1008_dilema_EXD_01

The trailer in question begins with Vince Vaughn telling a room full of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars ... are gay." Sources at Universal Pictures told Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke they showed the trailer to gay rights groups beforehand, including GLAAD, and didn't get any negative feedback.

But after Anderson complained on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," we're told the studio folded like a cheap suit.

A rep for Universal Pictures tells TMZ, "The teaser trailer for 'The Dilemma' was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Now if only they can make the movie seem funny.

UPDATE: GLAAD tells TMZ they called on Universal to remove the clip from the trailer last month. A rep tells TMZ, "The use of the word ‘gay’ in this trailer as a slur is unnecessary and does nothing more than send a message of intolerance about our community to viewers."

marcia

So in this day and age, if I wear a "gay pride" shirt, or a "Latino Pride" shirt... or watch BET... that is just fine... but if I wore a "White Pride" shirt or a "Straight Pride" shirt, I'm labeled a bigot, racist, etc. If we had White Entertainment Television, that would be an outrage. (inb4 Fox news, etc.) Boy it's real funny when Chris Rock makes fun of whitey, but make a stupid comment about electric cars being "gay"... and my God, how rude! Get over yourselves.

Posted at 11:13 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by sicboy13
_______________________________________________________________

Why try and make this a race issue? A lot of comedians talk about all people/groups in hopes of getting a few laughs. And since you took it there, BET along with black oriented publications were created because of the lack of, minute or very negative representation of Blacks on "White Entertainment Television" such as NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Why moan & groan over 1 or 2 stations aimed at what some black people may find entertaining or helpful when you have hundreds to choose from? Does it bother you that the word black signifies one of the letters (BET)? Perhaps you would feel better if they changed the call letters. Does it also upset you that there are tv stations for spanish speaking people as well? No doubt tv has gotten better over the years, yet if you look at the history of televison you'll see that it only really catered to the needs of white people. Even today there are still a lot of shows that have no minorities in them. And if they do, those people are still referred to as the token.

I also understand why the Gay community is being more vocal, no doubt everyone deserves a life where they are treated kindly & fairly, however I don't like when they compare their plight to that of Blacks where civil rights is concerned. If you take a look at black people in the history of America it pales in comparison to what they've been through. All gay people have to do is not say they are gay and they can still live a relatively normal life (I'm not insensitive, I understand the ramifications of such a life, however it's still true). Where as black people could not hide the fact that they were black, accept for the ones who because they didn't look it could and did 'pass' for white. Believe it or not, there are still to this day a lot of people that hide or deny who they are in order that their life would be easier, Gay, Black, Hispanic or what have you. How unfortunate.

Bromsnor

it's pretty gay to complain about that trailer..

Katmere

Anderson Cooper is ridiculous.

"A person's sexuality is so much more than one word "gay." No one refers to anyone as just "hetero" because that doesn't say anything. Sexual identity is broader than a label."

Gus Van Sant

Montezuma

Universal Studio's actions are gay. TMZ is gay for posting this story and giving any credibility to the people that are upset over the trailer of a movie.

Who exactly is Anderson Cooper? I have never heard of him, but he sounds pretty gay, too. He sounds like his skin is too thin and no one should give any weight to his overblown opinion. It also sounds like he was trying to play up(or down, rather) to Ellen DeGeneres(who, quite literally IS gay, in more ways than one.)

Speaking of, how does Ellen DeGeneres still have a show on? Is daytime television programmers that desperate to fill spots on their channels? GAY.

marcia

I am white. Please stop referring to those little crispy things you put in your soup as crackers. I am offended.

Seriously, we need to lighten up.

Posted at 12:40 PM on Oct 8, 2010 by Ben Dover
_______________________________________________________________

LMAO!!! That was great.

David

This whole post is gay, anderson cooper is gay. Its gay that people want to piss their panties because someone said gay. Whoever posts next is also gay and its pretty gay that I just called someone gay.

sicboy13

@Posted at 1:02 PM on Oct 8, 2010 by marcia
I've obviously hit a nerve.
"Even today there are still a lot of shows that have no minorities in them. And if they do, those people are still referred to as the token."

Um, you must not get the WB, UPN, WGN, etc. I never meant to turn this into a race issue, I simply took the liberty of providing multiple examples so I could offend everone. That is what you think, I imagine. In actuality, I brought race into this because me, as a WHITE, CHRISTIAN, HETEROSEXUAL MALE, I am supposed to feel like I've wronged everyone and I can't speak up, well you know what? I've just had it so easy, sitting on a pile of free diamonds and money (that they hand out to white males, oops, straight white males)I don't have time to bother with you minorities. Isn't it the homosexual's that want to be taken more seriously as group, just like the "minority" races? Therefore my bringing race into this is very appropriate as it is a viable comparison. I appreciate the debate, though. You lose. And by the way, why hasn't anyone mentioned that inanimate objects can't have a sexual preference one way or the other, so taking someone serious for calling a car gay? That is like calling a desk hungry, or a tv sleepy. My God I can't even beleive I'm having this conversation.

hotbitch

sicboy13, you do watch 'White Entertainment Television'. It's called ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, HBO, etc. Are you kidding me? White people have always had everything and then idiots like you complain when a so-called minority group gets anything or expresses pride in the face of oppression. So maybe YOU need to get over a few things.

Sue

I'm pretty sure the word "gay" was in the dictionary long before it was a term used for homosexuals. I'm betting if it was a homosexual actor saying the exact same line nobody would have a problem with it. I believe that, today, anything anybody says, somebody will find it offensive. Get over it people!! He's not using it in a derogotory way to QUIT CRYING ABOUT IT!

tom in chicago

ANDERSON COOPER IS A CLOSETED HOMOSEXUAL! WHEN HE COMES OUT, THEN MAYBE WE WILL PAY HIM ATTENTION! UNTIL THEN. HIS OPINION ON GAY MATTERS IS MOOT!

Sue

#86 why is it so wrong to be proud to be white? but if a white person expresses it they are considered a bigot. There is bigotry in all walks of life and I see it a lot more from miniority groups these days than from white people.

Greg

The irony is that the gay community has labels for EVERYONE - tops, bottoms, twinks, bears, nestors, breeders, lipstick lesbians. But that's fine, huh?

Throwback kid

Poor little rich baby Anderson Cooper! why doesn't he just go cry in the arms of him male companion and shut the h-e-l-l up!

Throwback kid

I also call little people Midgets!

Since we ALL know that Anderson Cooper is homosexual, he isn't IN the closet. Those of you who thinks he is are gay.