Ben Harper Blindsides Laura Dern with Divorce

10/10/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ben Harper stunned Laura Dern by filing for divorce late Friday afternoon … TMZ has learned.

Laura Dern divorce.
Harper, a two-time Grammy winner, filed legal docs citing irreconcilable differences and is asking the judge to deny Dern spousal support.

And here's what's interesting … according to the papers, Harper claims he and Dern separated back in January. But people connected with the couple, who married back in 2005, tell TMZ they have been living and traveling together throughout the year and were even intimate as recently as last week.

Harper is asking for joint legal and physical custody of the couple's two kids: Ellery, 9, and Jaya, 5.

Bec215

Laura Dern hooked up with Billy Bob Thorton while he was married to ex-wife Althea, so it was really ironic Angelina gets so much crap for "stealing" him from her of all people - and Laura then rebounded with Ben Harper - who's WIFE at the time was pregnant. Why should she be surprised now? Why does Angelina get labeled a homewrecker out of all these dalliances? Alicia Keys did the same thing with Swiz Beatz - he was married and Keyes was pregnant before he was even divorced. Why does no one call these men and women out for being players????

Chris

Laura can do WAY better than that tattooed-mess-of-a-man anyway.

julie

If anyone is a homewrecker it's Dern. Oh pity me go stand next LeAnn Rimes you sorry piece of garbage.

flyinsolo

I was backstage at his concert last year when everyone was asked to leave the afterparty except for him and a blonde "LA masuesse" so he could get a private massage. First thing I said to my friend...isnt he married??? Didnt act like he was. JERK!

The PRINCE of HOLLYWOOD

LOVE can only be found in a FAIRY TALE, so be in love with the idea of living HAPPILY EVER AFTER bc in reality there is no such fairy tale. -The PRINCE of HOLLYWOOD

Kat

Laura said Harlin blindsided her, and Jeff Goldblum, Billy Bob "married someone else while I was away making a movie" and now Ben Harper?? Do we see a pattern forming here?

You are a big girl now Laura! Cut out the excuses.

Maggie Malone

I met Ben Haprer in 1998 and he was so arrogant. I m not at all surprised by this - he comes acrossed and so earthy and down with the cause. Little do people know he was raised in a very wealthy family and wanted for nothing.

please

Many people should not get married, it is an outdated institution.

BluePencil

I have always loved Laura Dern, she has always been brilliant, intelligent, and a super hot actress. Best to her, divorce is tough.
bp

marsha Stafford

I have heard of him never heard his music, and I listen to all kinds of music. He must be country, I know the least about that crap music. But Black country that is sort of rare,seems conflicting, maybe he is just a opening act for famous singers. Laura is the real star.

wonder6789

The comments here are a true festival of meanness - lots of frustrated people out there, I guess -for good reason probabably !-lol.

wonder6789

The comments out here are a real festival of meanness.
Lots of frustrated people -probably for good reason -lol !

Lori

He's a ****.

Lori

Men are as faithful as their OPPORTUNITIES.

scan

Yeah, Dern was dating Thornton while he was still married w/ children, so I was surprised when Dern tried to seek the sympathy card in the press when he left her and started seeing Angelina Jolie. Afterall, they weren't married or engaged, just a boyfriend and girlfriend on the outs.

Thornton's wife with whom he shared 2 or 3 kids, hated Dern because she purportedly cheated with him, while he was still with her...conversely, I remember reading that Pietra Thornton really liked Angelina. Angie ain't did nothing to her that's why - while Dern stole her man.

Just like she slept with Ben Harper and got herself knocked up, while his then wife was pregnant with their 3rd child.

What goes around.....