Courteney Cox and David Arquette

Separated

10/11/2010 7:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Courteney Cox and David Arquette have separated after 11 years of marriage ... and TMZ has learned they've been separated for several months.

Separated
A source close to the couple tells us the two are "still friends" and they maintain a business relationship with each other. In fact, sources tell us ... no lawyers are involved.

The couple has one child together.

David and Courteney met on the set of "Scream" sometime around 1995 ... and were married in 1999. They are currently co-starring in the upcoming "Scream" movie due out next year.

There was a hint of things to come back on September 25 when Arquette was spotted out, sans wedding ring.

UPDATE: The couple has released a statement saying, "We have agreed to a trial separation that dates back for some time. The reason for this separation is to better understand ourselves and the qualities we need in a partner and for our marriage."

The statement continues, "We remain best friends and responsible parents to our daughter and we still love each other deeply."

1001_arquette_footer

kickaboo

oh dern...was someone banging someone else

Deb

I am surprised they lasted this long.
I did read not long ago they were in for marriage counseling, so obviously they tried.

Chris

Thank GOD for David, the poor bastard. He's finally free of this demon bitch. This was never a marriage. It may have looked nice from the outside, but it was ALWAYS about Courtney being an unpleasant, demanding diva bitch and getting her way and David just going along, just to keep the peace. God FORBID he actually disagreed with her or anything. She treated him like ****. I was wondering how much longer he could tip-toe around her and walk on eggshells and kiss her ass to 'keep her sweet'. The guy stuck it out for ELEVEN years. He deserves alimony, AND medals. And I NEVER think men deserve alimony.

Polly

This couple is one that really flew under the radar compared to a lot of others. I hate to admit it, but I am curious what happened, since I thought they were solid. I'm sure TMZ will fill us in on all the details soon!

what?

WOW. Im in fxcking SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!

janett

I hope they can work everything out! they are so cute together!!

dd

Maybe he relapsed.

CriticAl

I always thought they were an odd couple. Courteney was slumming with him.

julie

I'm pretty sure she messed around with some of the guys on Cougar Town. Even though I do like her and David something always seemed weird.

m.b.

I am SO sad right now. Thgought they would make it. If they cant, what chance do all of us peons have????

Lenn K.

This is the second Arquette who's marriage is on the rocks. His sister Patricia is getting divorce from Thomas James. I saw this coming from a mile away.

Solaera

I have heard rumors about Courteney boning her Cougar Town co-star, Brian Van Holt, who plays her ex-husband on the show.

Cindie O

NOOOOOO.

Em

People, hollywood actors know how to keep secrets. Ask Duchovny, for instance, guy divorced last year but keep using the image of a happy family for promotion. Weird.

dawnmarie

Howard has lost ALL his credibility.