« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Slash's National Anthem -- A Real Icebreaker

10/13/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Slash strapped up and strung out last night during the L.A. Kings game -- ripping one of the most incredible renditions of "The Star-Spangled Banner" we've ever heard.

Slash National Anthem

Must have worked too -- because the Kings thrashed Atlanta 3-1 at the Staples Center.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

guy

You guys that keep saying it was a rip-off of Hendrix are complete tools. The two versions are only similar because it is the same song. Other than that....nothing alike.
--Did you hear Slash trying to make the siren sounds after "and the rockets red glare" like in Jimi's version? NO!
--Did Slash play TAPS at any point in the song, like Jimi's? NO!
--Did Slash really even shred at all, until the very end? NO!
I love Jimi's version and there is no imitating it. Slash knows this and steered clear of coming even close. That said...I loved his version. Very tasteful and not overdone, unlike some of the R&B singers that screw our nation anthem up by doing vocal runs all over the place! NICE JOB SLASH!!! Peace!!

whatsgoingon

Nice ass shot.

Koz

Can't touch Hendrix's version

VALERIE

Can anyone say Steve Vai and of course Jimi blew away Slash. Slash has much more potential to actually make the Star Spangled Banner one of the best anyone has heard. But he did not. Yes it was good but any 15 year old learning to play guitar can do just as well note for note. I once saw Slash do the song at Dodger Stadium and it was just done note by note. Our whole section was stunned and dumbfounded that he didn't shred it out as we are all fans. I can't believe TMZ..."one of the best renditions"...yeah right!!! and i am a big Slash fan too. You all need to do some homework before you make such a statement!!!! You all are probably the same people who say dumb stuff like Justin Bieber is the next Michael Jackson.

.:Loki4Ever:.

TOM MORELLO!!!!!! His song with Bruce Springsteen was BRILLIANT! He is a GENIUS and would have BLOWN Slash away.. sad but true

g.b.

Yeah, seriously. Bad rip-off of Hendrix...I dunno why but I've never liked the guy. He's a good guitar player, not a great one. There are many much better than he is.

wolfedogg

"Most incredible renditions we've ever heard"????
You tmz dweebs ever hear of Jimi Hendrix & Woodstock?
Slash can play but he ain't no Jimi.....but at least he knows he was doin' a copy of Jimi's version....and I bet he knows it don't compare!

RollieB

Somebody needs to bitch slap that Camerman, who the hell want's to see Slash from the back? I want to see him actually play the song

Skywatcher

Now, that's what America's all about. I actually teared up listening to that. Nothing like the Star Spangled Banner played in a language I can relate to. Thank you TMZ. I really needed to hear that.

Lisa

So who is the ugly geek in a really stupid hat making loud strange noise at some game? Get the hook!

who-me

Gong!!!

Wiley

Yep. Ripped off Jimi Hendrix. Did he even give Hendrix any credit for doing it 40+ years ago?

KG

Mundane at best. Comparing Slash to Hendrix is like comparing finger painting to Picasso. Get Real!

SA

Take your hat off *******!

Jake

Wouldn't that mean Atlanta also lost because of the song?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments