« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

BMX Star T.J. Lavin in Coma After Major Crash

10/15/2010 11:29 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1015_tj_lavin_bmx_youtube_thumb T.J. Lavin -- a BMX star and host of MTV's "The Challenge" -- is currently in a medically induced coma after losing control of his bike and crashing during a jump at a BMX event last night.

TJ Lavin
Lavin was competing in a Dew Tour event in Las Vegas -- when he hit a dirt ramp, lost control, and slammed down onto the ground. Friends and crew workers immediately rushed to Lavin's side, but he didn't appear to be moving.

Lavin was rushed to nearby University Medical Center hospital ... where he was placed into a medically induced coma.

We're told Lavin is also experiencing brain swelling and is listed in critical condition.

UPDATE: A rep for MTV tells us,
“Our thoughts are with TJ. He is an important part of MTV’s extended family and we’re all praying for him."

As for Lavin's condition, a rep for the Dew Tour tells us, "he is in the intensive care unit and is currently stabilized."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

imsuzieq1

WOW that Karma has a way of coming around T.J LAvin. My husband just had his 2nd surgury from you cutting off his finger and not giving a crap. I'm not done with you Lavin so get better!!!

DEIONDRE

I WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPEND.. I WAS JUST OVER HIS HOUSE A FEW DAYS BEFOURE THE COMPITION. HE DID HAVE A HELMENT ON ITS REQIUERD IN THE SPORT. geT WELL SOON BRO.. MUCH LOVE TO HIM AND HIS MOM

Eric Anderson

Rumor is that he was tasered during his trick biking, and now Lance Armstrong is interested in a testicle donor! How desperate!

Jolie

Give him a Darwin award now!

VegasGirl

Please visit www.healtypinney.com and donate to Ty Pinney's recovery and family during this hard time. Ty was a very dear friend to TJ.

common sense

Who cares!

Melanie

I really hope you get well soon. It's been a long, long time since Ive seen ya. U where more friends with my Sis and brother. But I was reading all this negative, almost tabloid comments and it really is sad! Where have all the good people gone??? I play roller derby here in Vegas for SCRG and I came accross this because I ate it hard tonight & am icing, so I know about luvin a hobby or sport that most poeple think is crazy . Unfortunatley it doesnt matter how much gear, etc you wesr, somethimes u still get hurt. Ithink everyone who has posted something negative did baecause they are just jealous.
Other than that......send some positive energy his way. This is a really hard thing for ANYONE to go through. So be supportive!!:) Get well soon!
Melanie