The Beaver 'Saddened' by Death of Barbara Billingsley

10/16/2010 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jerry Mathers, who played The Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver" just gave this statement to TMZ on the passing of Barbara Billingsley:

1016_jerry_mathers_barbara_billingsley_getty_ex
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend and lifetime mentor Barbara Billingsley. She will live in the hearts of her fans as a wonderful actress and be remembered by her friends as a gracious lady. Barbara was a patient advisor and teacher. She helped me along this challenging journey through life by showing me the importance of manners, and respect for others. She will be deeply missed by all of her family, friends, fans and most especially by me."

As for Jerry, he also tells TMZ he's "excited to be getting married in January at the Waterfront Hilton in Huntington Beach."

stevie68a

She was one of those people whose good nature shone brightly.

mikes

Reply # 47 should be the one that is DEAD!!!!
RIP Barbara...

gesman

I will miss June Cleaver. She was a class act on and off the stAGe ! RIP

Ginger

That was sweet, Beav.

beau

June Cleaver could have been a drunk in real life, don't forget they were actor's..People think they know actor's..I enjoyed the show RIP June..

KoalaBabe

Heartfelt condolence to Barbara Billingsley's family.

Shenna

I loved that show and the cast along with the ever polite troublemaker Eddie was wonderful.

John K.

I feel that all of us Boomers lost a dearly loved mother. What an great example she was to all generations - America's best.

Sugar Kitty

I grew up watching the reruns. Actually I still watch the reruns. One of the best classic TV shows of all time and what a classy lady BB was. RIP.

captain chillymost

I loved when she would tell Ward when he was being too rough on the Beaver.

K.O'Reilly

She's was the Mom's Mom..... I'll miss her!

Booey

She was the best of the TV moms...she was also the inspiration for me dubbing a rather buxom woman in upstate NY "June Cleavage" some years ago. Nice words from Jerry.

Ingimundar

We'll miss Barbara. My son, now 22, always shunned the situation comedies and looked for the old "Leave it to Beaver" black and whites. Wonderful shows.

That program was/is I think anathema to feminists. When I mentioned how my son loved those dear Leave it to Beaver shows, his aunt visibly tightened up. I imagine because she's card carrying. Poor souls.

Gerald Kieffer

I'm NOW age 60 & born in 01/1950 & remember seeing this really nice family on the old B&W big huge TV set [and great music theme] & enjoying all the episodes of what mess The Beaver would get himself into and DAD or MOM would have to TALK TURKEY to this young little kid who always acted like he just was born yesterday. [Loved the SNOT NOSED BRAT Eddie Haskel - Reminded me of my 3 yr older best friend]
IN a way i lost my TV [wish she was my mom] when i was that little thing when i saw the show.
BUT you have to admit, Jerry [Beaver], you had the privalige of haveing 2 moms. ONE you actually grew up with and your GREAT tv mom. Something that some of us BABY BOOMERS could only dream & wish to happen to us.

AND since you have been in the TV SHOW business you might want to consider bringing most of the Leave It To Beaver stars back [if they are willing] and do a Leave It To My ADOPTED KID [since you are around my age of 60 give or take a few years]

michael d

I miss her alrady. I grew up with her as Americas favorite mom
God Bless you June Cleaver!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments