The Beaver 'Saddened' by Death of Barbara Billingsley

10/16/2010 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jerry Mathers, who played The Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver" just gave this statement to TMZ on the passing of Barbara Billingsley:

1016_jerry_mathers_barbara_billingsley_getty_ex
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend and lifetime mentor Barbara Billingsley. She will live in the hearts of her fans as a wonderful actress and be remembered by her friends as a gracious lady. Barbara was a patient advisor and teacher. She helped me along this challenging journey through life by showing me the importance of manners, and respect for others. She will be deeply missed by all of her family, friends, fans and most especially by me."

As for Jerry, he also tells TMZ he's "excited to be getting married in January at the Waterfront Hilton in Huntington Beach."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

JS

Sad day. America's #1 TV mom. And she did it all in dresses and pearls... then in the 1970s they brought home the bacon and fried it up in a pan... and today they keep it real, which is fairly worthless. I'm sure BB had to be very much like her TV character June Cleaver. Awesome woman. :-)

Christie Lou Ivey

Has Ken Osmond who Played Eddie Haskle and Kis other Sidekick who plyed Lumpy on that TV Series been notified of her death?

Judy

Mrs. Clever was the perfect mom to all of us. She always saw the good in people.
God Bless you Mrs. Clever.

dr. k. vermillion

as a child of the 50's....my mom was also a stay at home mother...and I feel so blessed by that...june cleaver was a wonderful example, and I am very sorry that many children of today do not have that opportunity...

anony

Beaver gettin' married?
Beaver gettin' new beav!

Mark Plainville, Ct.

I feel like my mother died,I watched Leave It To Beaver so many times,and never got sick of it.LITB got me through some bad times when I was a 14 year old kid,and as a 42 year old,homebound on IV antibiotics-Watching TVLand.Barbara is with Hugh Beaumont now, watching over Tony Dow,Jerry Mathers,and the rest of the cast.

Christie Lou Ivey

IHas The rest of the cast members Eddie And Lumpy been notified of her death

Tom

Sorry to hear, but Barbara had a long life. Long live "Leave it to Beaver", a childhood fav and great memory for so many baby boomers like myself.She was a class lady and Jerry seems like a class guy.

Tom

Craig Plapinger

I had the honor of meeting Barbara in October, 1999, at the Santa Barbara Art Museum. She was a classy lady. She was a little hard to immediately recognize, however, because she was wearing denim pants and a denim jacket, and not wearing pearls and high heels. She was accompanied by three other people, one of whom was a young woman who was young enough to be Barbara's granddaughter. Thinking back, I realize the woman may have been Kaleena Kiff, her TV granddaughter from "The New Leave It to Beaver." If Kaleena reads this comment, I hope she posts a comment of her own, stating if it was her or not.

Most important, RIP Barbara.

Craig Plapinger, Santa Barbara, California

BRYAN NORTON

we lost the best mom

Mamie Head

She was a joy to watch and a comfort to view the moral family values the show displayed that are so often missing in today's families and on television.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5