Barbara Billingsley Dies

10/16/2010 5:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara Billingsley -- best known for playing June Cleaver on "Leave It to Beaver" -- passed away this morning. She was 94.

1016_barbara_billingsley_bn_getty
A spokesperson says Billingsley died early Saturday at her home in Santa Monica. She had suffered from a rheumatoid disease.

According to her Wikipedia page, her hobbies included tennis, gardening and dining.

She was also fluent in jive.

Kathleen

I feel such sadness over the death of Barbara Billingsly, aka June Cleaver. Believe it or not, my mom also wore heals, nylons, dresses and earrings every single day while doing all the household chores. I grew up watching Leave it to Beaver and the wonderful cast, and there was always a good message for children watching. My condolences to her family, and the cast. I just watched a You Tube video the other day of Barbara, Tony Dow, Jerry Mathers, Ken Osmond,and Frank Bank being
interviewed,and wished the show could be on again. BTW, I love Ken Osmond's comment on this page about her wings, true to his Eddie Haskell character. The lovely tribute her sons gave her about being the same, nurturing mother in real life is a real testament to the lovely lady she was. I know she's already missed by so many. - Kathleen

mousetrap

But that damn Mom archetype screwed up generations, like, who the hell had a family like that who the hell had a mother who looked like a fashion model taking care of biz like that in a fly-azz apron?

Posted at 2:20 PM on Oct 16, 2010 by Dee Dee Russell
_____________________________

Ummm, a ton of people who grew up in the 50's, 60's and even a lot in the 70's had mothers like that. It was a beautiful thing.

dd

Of course i meant Barbara!

Pound Sand

RIP sweet lady.

Bob

To the people with the funny "Ward/Beaver" jokes, get a life.

As many of us, who grew up with "Leave It To Beaver," she was a great TV mom.

I understand she was also a great person, off the air.

Condolences and best wishes to her friends and family.

debbidodaday

RIP...June Cleaver You were such a wonderful woman and I so enjoyed watching Leave it to Beaver in my childhood and then lo and behold there you were in Airplane LOL...loved it and you.

And to DeeDee, guess what!!! I grew up in the 50's and yes my mother did her house work in a dress, nylons, apron. Those were the days when "real women" didn't dare dress in pants, thank god they are over, I'd never survive.

grannis

Watched her be the perfect mom. I wanted to be like her when I grew up. RIP perfect lady.

Sue

The all American mom.
To play such a straight laced mom, and turn it all around and play a funny jav talking
woman in "Airplane" was great.

A little tid bit, she always wore pearls in life, cause she had a small scar on her neck
and she wanted to hide it. God love her.

johnrunion

@Dee Dee Russell
there are plenty of real parents and real moms to blame for screwing up a generation(s) as opposed to pointing the finger at a fictional character.
the character of june cleaver certainly was a much better role model than roseanne or any of the other more tv moms.

jugador

A long-ago era when men actually wore ties at dinner and women wore pearls. Nowadays, the guy might not wear a shirt at all and HE'S the one with earrings. The woman has tattoos all over her arms with a nose stud and purple hair.

Philip Thrift

I cried.

w

She was awesome, best quote by her is...."Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help" or "Oh stewerdess I speak Jive"
"Airplane"

God Bless you Barbara, R.I.P.

urbusted

Nope crew. I am speaking for those who are not fortunate enough type at 2k computers like me and most of you! Lots of people did not have such a life.

That is the reality, while Leave it to Beaver was good for some for the rest of us it was pure fantasy .. our Mothers worked outside the home came home tired daddy was tired and did not wear ties at the dinner table!

Different perpectives ...

To those complaining their lives weren't like Leave it To Beaver and that their Moms weren't like that show depicted...what does that have to do with this woman's death...she was an ACTRESS playing a part. Period. You have a gripe with the show and her character, blame the writers, blame the networks, whatever, not this lady. She wasn't Mrs. Cleaver, Mrs. Cleaver was a character in a fictional show.

RIP Ms. Billingsley.

my opinion

It would be nice if people had morals, manners, respect and showed kindness toward one another it would be a better world for US ALL!!!!

RIP Barbara Beasley you will be missed

urbusted

Sorry if my previous post made no sense- the first part of my that post was a quote from another poster, I did not write that, I was just responding to it below it.