No Evidence of Tweeting In Dr. Frank Ryan Fatal Crash

10/20/2010 7:19 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Famous plastic surgeon Dr. Frank Ryan died because of an "unsafe turning movement" ... and there is no evidence it was caused by driving while tweeting.

Dr. Frank Ryan tweeting.
The California Highway Patrol has completed its investigation into the August 16 crash on Pacific Coast Highway.  CHP investigators concluded Dr. Ryan's 1995 Jeep Wrangler drifted to the right and off a rocky embankment after the "unsafe turning movement."

The CHP says, "There was no evidence of any other contributing factors in the cause of this collision."

There was wide speculation Dr. Ryan was distracted because he had been tweeting, but the CHP didn't have the goods to draw that conclusion.

Dr. Ryan's dog, Jill, was seriously hurt in the crash but survived.

Stella

Gosh, some of you people are so CRUEL...may you drive over a cliff yourself one day and, hopefully, the vultures will descend upon you as well. Also, why is some idiot using the TMZ blogs to pontificate about voting? How weird...maybe I should turn this site into Craigslist for myself, also - afterall, I have an old sofa I'm trying to sell...

Trisha

Glad that's been cleared up. I don't know why so many assumed he was tweeting while driving just because he had tweeted while hiking before he left.

Bleh!- That's very true. You'll never see me riding in one of those things.

Sally- I haven't heard anything about that but yes they do check for things such as that during an autopsy. Especially with a wreck such as this one.

Carl

I've been up and down that stretch of the PCH many times. There are lots of twists and turns but it isn't treacherous as long as you are paying attention (It is MUCH safer than the Big Sur region of the PCH). Either he was distracted or speeding. My money is still on the tweeting.

Liz

So for all those cruel people who posted those cruel comments about what an idiot he was because he was "texting" while driving...goes to show you're not so smart after all, are ya!

Prince Eugene von Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

For sure he was looking in the rearview mirror applying his makeup at the time und not looking at the road ahead! That's a gayface if ever there was one!

Rixi

Hey, this guy reminds me of Michael Jackson - they look alike, don't they?

Bobby Bustle

The jeep looked to be on stock wheels and tires with no suspension mods. Despite the fact that they look tall, from factory those YJ's have a pretty low center of gravity. It has no power windows, locks, moon/sun roof... well no roof at all to add weight up top. Also, the part of the road where his memorial was is pretty straight.
I still feel that this was a case operator error on a strecth of road that doesn't allow for many mistakes and not a case of 'Man killed by unsafe vehicle'.
I drive a lifted 98 Wrangler and take that road about 30 times a year. Even though I'm here defending the jeep, I gotta admit I take it little easier nowadays.

Bobby Bustle

Bobby Bustle

Bobby Bustle

BTW, I happen to love my Jeep. I get why Dr Ryan had held on to it. Yeah, you're right that he could have been driving something newer or better. The thing is.. our Jeeps aren't just our commuters or offroaders... they are our way of life. They speak to a freedom and a lust for life and adventure that most people cannot understand. They may be cheap and they may be simple but those are the characteristics that make them fun, reliable, easy to own and fun to drive... In short "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"

Duane Burger

The fact that there was "no evidence of tweeting" doesn't mean that wasn't texting while driving. You can't lose control on PCH southbound and wind up on the rocks without taking your eyes off the road. Evidence, however, is another matter. Cir***stantial or hypothetical notions don't constitute evidence. Too bad he can't be charged with endangering his dog. That's criminal. Putz!

sherry

Suicide would not have been a thought that would have ever crossed Dr. Frank's mind. Not the type, and I knew him well for years!
IMHO...I knew he would not have been texting.....He was such a clean`cut, law abiding kind of man. My closest guess was that he reached for his dog Jill, as she probably leaned out of the jeep too far. As close as Frank was to Jill, I am certain he was simply trying to prevent her from getting a bit too far out the window for his comfort! He leaned and the wheel went with him...
As far as the jeep goes, I also wondered why he would have driven that. He had a beautiful black Mercedes SUV that was his daily car. Perhaps it was getting repaired, or the day was so perfect for a drive in the jeep with the top off....who knows, but it was a poor call to say the least. I miss him terribly!

FrankKenStein

He was tweeted while dwiving. Now him deaded.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2