Mel Gibson's 'Hangover' Replacement -- Liam Neeson

10/22/2010 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel's out, Liam's in -- after a huge backlash against Mel Gibson's would-be cameo role in "The Hangover 2" ... "A-Team" star Liam Neeson has been tapped to fill the role ... according to Variety.

1022_liam_mel_bn_getty_tmz
Liam tells Variety -- "I just got a call to do a one day shoot on 'Hangover' as a tattooist in Thailand ... that's all I know about it" ... and the whole deal went through his "A-Team" pal, Bradley Cooper.

As we first reported, Mel Gibson was 86'd from the role -- in which he would have played a tattoo artist -- after friends of the cast put political pressure on the actors to raise hell.

Among the ringleaders -- we're told,
Zach Galifianakis.

Muppet

I am stoked that Mel isn't going to be in this! I would have lost mad respect for the people involved in making such a funny film if they kept him on. This is a guy who hides his racial slurs behind his alcoholism. He lost my accolades YEARS ago. His past antisemitic and other racial comments left my stomach to turn in disappointment at the mere mention of his name. I will never see or throw down money on another movie with his name attached. Ever. Period. I have no tolerance for his behavior. It's sad, he used to be awesome.

At least Liam has some class. I look forward to seeing this movie now!

Posted at 12:55 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Clipboard

Let's all hope that if you ever do anything wrong you're an outcast forever. :D Geez hold a grudge much?

ketjo

I'll bet my bottom dollar that
Ari Emanuel "The Jewish Prince of Hollyweird"
was among "friends that put political presure
on actors to raise hell"? ***Team Mel***

Posted at 12:42 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Fidel's ni

I would double down on that bet cause you would win BIG TIME !!!!

Ari and his Bully Boys are stepping out into the spotlight
""Paybacks a B!tch Boys!" I hope you are ready for it.

In Oxhanna own words " Your'e goina pay Boy ! Your'e goina pay !" We know who you are now.

Tammy

Liam made a movie about saving jews, Schindler's List, and Mel made a movie about jews as murderers, The Passion. This has nothing to do with Oksana or the tapes.

Posted at 12:40 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Tammy
-------------------

Good observation Tammy!

Posted at 12:41 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Tellthetruth59

I will never believe this has anything to do with Oksana. The Powers That Be in hollywood have been throwing Mel's career in the fire since he made The Passion. The situation with Oksana gave it a douse of fresh fuel, but that fire has been burning for more than 4 years and will continue to burn even after his death.

BrAnBa

Business is done with a slap on the back, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean????
;)
All while some poor slob is being paid less than minimum wage in their homes, gardens and bathrooms. (Can you imagine having to clean bathrooms for these people???? Ew!!!)

Posted at 12:43 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Babushka

Well, I´ve only been to Hollywood once in the summer 2009, to receive an award for a film we made. And I thought "What a bizarre place!!!" I was around filmpeople for a week, experiencing the double standards, the "we" and "them", the "if you scratch my back I will scatch yours...", the doors that opened just because you were a filmproducer. (Bet they would have shut in my face once they found out that I am a rather poor filmproducer - LOL) SO many phoney guys!!

I totally believe you Babushka. I was just trying to find some sanity in this insane line of rumours about Mel. And trying to do THAT is a clear sign of ME being insane. :) :)

kickaboo

Well, perhaps you should read all the rumors that float around those in HW. When the tattoo artist bit role was said to be filmed in Burbank for Mel...was Thailand the carrot for Liam for him to accept on late notice?

Echo

I love Liam Neeson but I do think "the friends" should have minded their own business, it would have been a great role for Mel Gibson.
I won't be in a hurry to watch it tho.

texasfemale

i wouldnt pay money to see a movie that the actors cant put there big boy pants on and think for themselfs. i would be ashamed of myself if i caved into peer pressure

Tellthetruth59

Posted at 12:58 PM on Oct 22, 2010 by Tammy
-----------------------------------------

I agree and so do many others.

Confused

I feel that HW is just using the Oksana thing as a backdrop. They have been waiting, just waiting, to be able to "crucify" Mel.

Kilmerfan

Where was the "outrage" from Zack when terrorists threaten South Park last spring? Also when the draw Mohamed artist had to go into hiding (FBI term go ghost). Not a peep from Zack or "moral" Hollywood, all Matt and Trey did was practice their 1st amendment rights and Hollywood turned their backs on them. Also where Zacks is "outrage" that Adam Lambert is threatened with jail time or death just because he wants to do a concert in Malaysia?

I forgot Zack worships the alter of PC, God forbid we offend Muslim terrorists.

Well I just saved ten bucks

beth

This is just crazy. I'm not even a huge fan of Mel, but come on! They will act with Mike Tyson who is a convicted rapist? But not Mel. Hippocrites. All of them

Tasha

I love Liam

Bill F. Murray

So much HATE today! It's almost beer-thirty, lighten up!

mousehouse

Gosh, could some of the reasoning behind Mel's rants could be he's had it with the BS and is a bit jaded? Does anyone realize how sleazy that industry is and what you have to deal with in order to survive it? Guess Mel got fed up and let loose when he got wasted and aggravated...so the hell what...Get over it and grow up anti Mel people.

Confused

I don't dislike Liam, but come on, it is too bad he doesn't have any balls to say, "Hey, this isn't right."