Quaids' Dog -- Help Is On the Way!

10/26/2010 6:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Doji the doggie is about to escape the clutches of death -- TMZ has learned a friend of Evi and Randy Quaid has contacted the City of Vancouver in an effort to recover the innocent pooch from a shelter in Canada.

Quaids arrested.

As we first reported, Doji was placed in an animal shelter after Evi and Randy were arrested in Canada last week on an outstanding warrant in Santa Barbara ... and under Vancouver law, dogs that go unclaimed after several days for more than a week could be put to sleep.

But a rep for the city of Vancouver tells us they received a call today from someone on behalf of the Quaids who informed them that someone will be "coming to the shelter in the next couple of days to pick up the dog."

Doji seems to be holding up well -- we're told, "The dog is in very good health."

True North

I live in Vancouver BC and the SPCA has a no-kill policy. They don't put the animals down. If no one adopts them, they will move the animals to various other SPCA's in the Lower Mainland area for a better chance at being adopted. I'm glad the pooch will be looked after.

If anything it should be the Quaids that be put down.

Elizabeth

I live in Vancouver and have taken many strays to this shelter. I was told that Animal Control and SPCA have a no kill policy and I believe this to be true. I would not take stray dogs there if I thought they would be put down.

Cindy

The whole thing is so unfair to the poor innocent dog. Thank
God it's going to have a home. I too was worried.

mary

Will you PLEASE stop passing off lies as information

the bylaw in the city of Vancouver is as follows
We are a pro-adoption facility, which means that we do not euthanize for space, length of impound, age or appearance reasons. There are times when unclaimed dogs must be humanely euthanized, for health and temperament reasons.
Animal Control makes every attempt to reunite dogs with their owners. When a dog is brought into the Animal Control shelter at 1280 Raymur Avenue, they are checked for any type of identification such as dog license, tattoo, microchip.

Dogs are held for three (3) full days. After that time, the dog becomes the property of the City of Vancouver. If their temperament and health are good, they are placed up for adoption. Typically dogs are held for a minimum of seven (7) days before being placed in a new home. This gives us time to get to know the dog to find the best home as well as giving owners a better opportunity to find their lost dog.

and in most cases if a dog is in one of the Vancouver shelters for more than 3 weeks they get sent to a shelter in Burnaby or Surrey and are moved around until they are placed. I have adopted dogs who have been in the shelter up to 3 months.

Please stop making my lovely dog friendly city sound awful

sistaelle

Next "couple of days"?? The Q's are out now.. what's the hold up?

Canadian Girl

Hey TiffC you douche...

Maybe you need to take a good look a round and do some research... Canada does in fact have a no kill policy, why do you think the SPCA has Foster home volunteers and so many wonderful rescue societies?
Why don't you give them a call? Here's a toll free number as we all know your too bloody ignorant to do the research... 1-800-641-KIND
get your head outta your ass you worthless moron and get over yourself... I mean really telling me to go kill myself, that's real mature what are you 15 oh, wait, my 15 year old has more class than you.

Tim

The dog's name is not Doji. It's D-O-G...spell it out. I can't believe nobody got this....

John

I'm glad the dog is not being put to sleep.

John P McNiff

th

You might want to re-check the laws re guarding how we Canadians deal with the animals that end up in our shelters, there is quite a process involved in putting down an animal or even for adoption for that fact, I actually adopted my dog from that very shelter and it took 2 weeks before I could even pick him up, there was an interview, I had to take a test on dog care and had to provide proof of residence as well as having to get him fixed,
Our shelters are striving for a 100% no kill policy, for all animals not just dogs, which is already in place in many of our communities .....
I can honestly say that " Doji " was never in any danger of being put down and as for just being adopted out that would have only happened if the Quaids actually gave permission for adoption or abandoned " Doji " and I believe the waiting period for that is either 30 or 90 days if they don't know who the owner is.......

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4