Randi and Evi Quaid -- Sprung from Canadian Pokey

10/27/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Evi and Randy Quaid were just released from custody in Vancouver ... after officials learned Evi's father may have been born on Canadian soil.

1018_evie_randy_quaid_tmz_bn

The two were being held on an active warrant out of Santa Barbara stemming from an alleged squatting incident at a property they once owned.

The decision to release the couple was made after a hearing with the Immigration and Refugee Board. Evi received an "unconditional release" in light of the information regarding her father's birthplace ... and Randy was released after posting a $10,000 bond.

Randy may be required to attend another hearing before he's permanently off the hook.

But the most important part -- the two will be reunited with their cute little doggie in just a matter of hours.

Flower

Damn! For one brief flicker of time, I thought the dog might have a chance.

tonyajayne

As I started to read this I thought "did they get their dog".... that was the best part, though I hope they don't treat their dog poorly.

Chia

Great news (about the pup). Please publish pics of the doggy :)

Christina G.

Enlighten me. What does her father have to do with this?

Muppet

Does this mean we can't send them packing back to the U.S.A? Please say it isn't so!

Quinn

so where are they going to run to now?

Yep I said that

What the hell happened to this man is he in a mid life crisis or what

Cynstriss

Guess they don't realize that Hollywood has moved much of the production industry up to Canada. I assume the Quaid's enemies, the "Hollywood Whackers," would follow.

Dara

lol... freakin' idiot Canadians will take anyone they can get, eh?

So fitting that these cowards would go there.

Now what?

A. Conda

But they're going back home, right? Please!!

answer lady

For the person asking questions about what her father has to do with this, here`s the way the law works. If her father did not renounce his Canadian citizenship (and very few Canadians will ever renounce their citizenship even if they take another citizenship for convenience)she is a Canadian citizen. She cannot be deported, although she can be extradited if the courts and the Canadian government approve.

If she was born before her father renounced his citizenship, she is one of the `lost Canadians` and is also a Canadian. A child of a Canadian citizen is entitled to citizenship no matter where they are born. (The courts found it illegal to deny lost Canadians their citizenship because of the decisions of their parents.

Christina G.

@answer lady, thanks for the info. I am now calling my dad to see if he was ever a Canadian citizen. Could come in handy if I get drafted or something.

answer lady

Oh my goodness. We do have to deal with your soldier a lot, even when they don't have dual citizenship. They forget that Canada is fighting in Afghanistan and come up here claiming refugee status because of the war when they get told they are being sent over. It's quite a backlog.

She can sponsor him as an immigrant, if she is a citizen. And apparently the Immigration and Refugee board got proof from her father himself. That means, they must be extradited before they can be forced back to deal with the charges.

awards

If Evi's father was a native Canadian, that would explain a lot!

jessemosslover

Why are fugatives on the run from the law in the U.S allowed to come up here to Canada and try to refugee status? Shouldnt our 2 countries have a deal where if either I of our countries catches a fugative we immediately send them back to their own country to face justice? I guess cause that would make too much damn sense.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments