Demi Lovato

Bullying is the

Root Problem

11/2/2010 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The issues that Disney superstar Demi Lovato is hoping to tackle in her treatment center all stem from a painful history of being bullied ... sources extremely close to the singer tell TMZ.

110110-demi-lovato-getty-exd

We're told Demi's issues with bullies go all the way back to middle school -- where she felt her acting career made her a target.  Our sources say Demi subsequently engaged in self-destructive behavior that is a manifestation of being bullied.

In fact -- back in 2008, Demi told Ellen DeGeneres that she was bullied so badly in 7th grade, she pulled out of her middle school and switched to a home school program.

110210_demi_lovato_ellen_video3As we first reported, Lovato just quit her international concert tour with the Jonas Brothers ... and admitted herself into a treatment center for "emotional and physical issues."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Carl

The bullies made me take drugs!

Miss Mary

Something very odd about the timing . . .

spinner25

She's either a 'cutter' or anorexic/bulimic.

Either way, don't lie about why you're in rehab. It's just stupid. The truth will come out eventually.

yadda yadda

Dude she is known to be a pompous and bratty snot that is going down hill because of her drug problem. I was bullied too but don't take drugs and treat everyone around me like crap. She is beyond rude and mean to coworkers that she likes to treat like slime are are too below her to give a damn.

ominus

So she assaults a dancer and runs off to rehab to hide and build a spin story. And now she's using the excuse that she was bullied? She's obviously a bully herself.

This attempt to build public sympathy for her when beat someone up is disgusting.

Demi, it's time to take responsibility for your actions... i mean really take responsibility.

??

What ever the problem, my hope is she finds the peace she needs and continued success in the future.

jill

bullying sent her into a treatment facility???? what do they grow backbones there? she needed some press coverage.

jus-sayin

Why would her parents let her continue acting if she was being bullied so much or so badly? Or why would she herself want to continue? I hate bullies but sounds a little fishy to me.

Cooper

what a crock.........

Moose

whatever happened to self esteem and solving your own problems?

Solaera

Bullying? Really? So is this going to be the on-trend, go-to excuse for bad behavior now? I'm calling BS on that sorry excuse; spoiled, petulant, weak sister is probably closer to the truth.

Solaera

Who wasn't bullied at some point 7th grade?

Elisa

My cousin was roomates with Tiffany Thorton (Demi's co-star on the Disney show Sonny With a Chance) two years ago. She told me that on a couple of occasions they would have parties and Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas would attend the parties. She saw all of them including Demi Lovato & Joe Jonas drinking heavily and smoking marijuana. I wasn't surprised to hear that she is in rehab, I just know that it's for substance abuse and not bullying.

victorpark

What a jamook...now all the no-talent teen douchebags are hopping on the 'I was bullied' bandwagon. Sorry a-holes. Get a life.

Margot Santos

11 - 2 - 2010
Hello , Good Morning Demi
Whats wrong with u ? . We heard a bad news about u r u ok ?. My brother Tristan he is a fan of u .

Love , Margo