David Cassidy -- I Did NOT Drive Drunk!

11/4/2010 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Cassidy is adamant that he was NOT hammered on booze when he got behind the wheel in Florida last night ... and says he plans to fight the DUI charges.

1104_cassidy_david_EX_Getty_02

Cassidy's rep tells us the actor is already on the hunt for a lawyer and plans to fight the charges adding, "He would never jeopardize anyone on the road and he would not have been driving had he not had to go to a funeral ... he's never been arrested in his life before for anything."

MIDNIGHT TOKER

of course he wasnt driving drunk,,yes he was behind the wheel and the car was moving down the highway..but you cant say this was driving....

janet

The car was pulled over because of swirving between lanes on the Florida Turnpike. Florida State Trooper happens to see this car and pulled the car over.

Cassidy was nice and the Tr

janet

Cassidy...don't waste money on a lawyer. Thank the Troopers.

buxxy

Sounds drunk to me. Sorry. Nice try.....

PosterBoi

David,

You should never submit to a breath or blood test. In Florida, they must have your permission to do that. The consequences are that you cannot be convicted of DUI, but will be convicted of wreckless driving, because you were weaving off the road. You would lose your license for 90 days to one year and your car may be impounded for 10 days. I know, too late for that now.

People might give you flack, but I won't. We all make bad choices at times and you are no exception. Some of the very people who might critisize you probably have DUI's themselves. It would be hard to believe you hadn't been drinking, but I understand why you would deny it - I would too and everyone usually does. It is the only possible way to avoid being convicted.

I don't know your financial situation but most people would think you are doing pretty well. We would wonder why you wouldn't have a driver or stop at a hotel. But, I have driven under the influence as many people have and one doesn't think they will get stopped.

I hope this goes well for you. I have admired you all my life and was fortunate to see you in London for "Time". Thank you for the entertainment and emotions throughout the years. This will pass my friend.

Take care...

Sheryl

Damn David...I'm sorry...but you look soooo ****ed up...nice try though...

gutsygirl

Quote by David from Daily Mail interview two years ago:

'I was sitting at home, drinking wine on my own till 4am and when my son said to me: "Dad, you've got to stop this," it really brought it home to me that I had to address the problem.'
The fact it was David's son Beau, now 17, who triggered his self-appraisal is poignant. David's own father, the brilliant and charismatic Broadway star Jack Cassidy, was 'a raging alcoholic' says David.
'So were my uncles, my aunt and my grandfather. It's genetic, but it just never took hold of my life until recently, when I realised I had to stop."

Book em, Danno.

TheUltraworld

Half empty bottle of Bourbon right next to him. Yeah he was sober.

CAROL

David better take personal responsibility and stop blaming things on his father.
Jack walked hame and gave his car keys to someone else.
This is when Jack's alchohal level was .12 when the legal limit was .10.
Jack wasn't out DUIing.

That is not a raging alcholic.
David is a raging alcholic.

To be a fan of David mean you have to live in the world according to David.
David doesn't apologize and nothing he does is his fault.
Why can't he man it up like everybody else.

I want someone to answer that.

gutsygirl

His dad, Jack Cassidy, was a raging alcoholic! The apple doesn't fall far from thee tree.

lauren

Just Call RUBIN KINCAIDE... HE WILL FIX EVERYTHING.

fletcher

Cooome on now geeeet happppy

CAROL

Why are so people on this board not allowing David to take resposibility for his own actions.
This guy is 60 years old.

David's fans looked the other way when he shows up high at concerts and so forth.

They are looking for excuses.

Jack Cassidy had more talent in his pinky than David had his whole life ..

Jack CASSIDY HAS two grandchildren named after him. One is 12 years old.

HERE IS A QUOTE FROM SHIRLEY JONES from CMONGETHAPPY.com

Jack Cassidy did forsee that DAvid would be a bitter old man.

Much has been said in various specials regarding Jack’s problem with David’s success. Was there an actual jealousy or was it a lack of respect?

SJ: No, it had nothing to do with jealousy. It had to do with the fact that he thought David was selling out. He called him a monkey in a cage. He lost respect for what David was doing. David started on Broadway and Jack respected his talent. He wanted him to be an actor. He thought by doing what David was doing, that he would end up exactly as he ended up. He had to start all over again.

THIS IS WHAT SHIRLEY HAD TO SAY ABOUT JACK.
Recent TV specials and movies seemed to focus on the "dark" side of Jack. Obviously there was quite a "bright" side as well. Rather than focus on the dark, what can you tell us of the bright?

SJ: He was an incredible human being. Incredibly talented, number one! He had this charisma that, when he walked in the room, not only women fell all over him, but men did too. He attracted everybody. He had a great, great sense of humor, which of course was the first attraction for me. Obviously I’m attracted to men with a sense of humor! (Laughs) That’s the biggest thing. Not to mention he was as handsome as he was. For me, that was the least of it. The fact that he could make jokes about himself and that he didn’t take himself that seriously made him interesting and exciting.

GEL

("David's rep, Jo-Ann Geffen, tells TMZ ... the former teen idol admits he did take a pain pill for his back earlier in the day -- and may have been tired from an early morning funeral he had to attend -- but he definitely wasn't drunk.

Cassidy is also disputing the results of the two breathalyzer tests he took at the time of arrest -- in which he blew a 0.139 and 0.141 -- insisting his true blood alcohol content was not properly measured.")

Ok...so he DID register alcohol, whether the reading was accurate or not (the readings were pretty damned close to each other and not way off from one to the next)...it did register alcohol, which means he DID mix some alcohol (even if not much) with a pain medication. It's commonly known that when you take pain-medication (and we aren't talking aspirin or Tylenol here)...that their labels (and MSDS sheets) advise against driving while under the influence of the medication. Add alcohol (in any amount) to the medication and you are asking for a disaster. Then add to it his claim of fatigue and I can certainly understand him driving erratically even if not "drunk" and giving a cop a reason to feel that he needed to be pulled over.

Unfortunately many people still think "I can take this medication and drive, I'm fine." Know what? You aren't! Your response time is GREATLY reduced when you are on a pain medication even if you feel "fine". I like David, I really do...but he showed some bad judgment, it's not like you can't get a cab in Vegas...and it's not like he cannot afford one.

Ms Kris

in the what in the hell was he thinking department

With his dad & his love for the drink & with Danny's troubles with the law in the past

A 60 year old man SHOULD KNOW BETTER