'Storm Chasers' Star Committed Suicide

11/4/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Storm Chasers" just revealed one of its stars, Matt Hughes, died earlier this year -- and TMZ has learned his death was a suicide -- the result of a hanging.

Matt Hughes Storm Chaser death
At the end of last night's episode of the Discovery reality show viewers were told Hughes died in May due to complications from a fatal injury at his home in Kansas.

TMZ confirmed with Valley Center PD ... on May 14 they responded to a suicide call at Hughes' home.  According to the police report, officers concluded Matt, who was still breathing, was drinking before the suicide attempt.

We're told Matt was taken to a local hospital -- but passed away 13 days later.  The Medical Examiner's report lists "Hanging" as the cause of death.

110510_storm_chasers_tmz_tv2Last night's episode was dedicated to Matt -- and we're told Discovery has set up a memorial fund for Matt's wife and two sons.

Suzanne

me - Is that the same puppy that Sean was talking about at the big storm chasers meeting? Got the white haired guy (can't remember the name) peeved.

Anyone who takes care of an animal like that is OK in my book. And bless you for taking Stormy Blue in.

Thank you for the wonderful story.

N/A

I have been up close with tornado's. Matt was doing everyone a service by trying to save lives with early warnings. It is sad what happened. I agree it should have been kept out of the spotlight. My prayers go out to his family. But you know the news always have to publish stuff that should not be published.

katkief

What a shame people need to make themselves feel better by putting somebody else down. Karma is a wonderful thing...
I will miss Matt and didn't see the show Wednesday announcing his death but I did catch Mythbusters which tested the wind strength on the Dominator vs. Tiv2. Wonder if they aired that because of his death too. RIP Matt

stormchaser

YOU ALL ARE INSENSITIVE ASSES AS A STORM CHASER AND FRIEND OF MATT I REALLY THINK YOU ALL NEED TO GET A LIFE IT SHOULDNT MATTER IF HIS DEATH WAS A SUICIDE OR IF HE WAS KILLED BY A TORNADO THAT HE WAS TRYING TO GATHER SCIENTIFIC DATA FROM.... HIS DEATH WAS A TRAGITY AND HE WILL BE MISSED NO MATTER WHAT THE CAUSE WAS!!! AND TO TMZ YOU ARE IDIOTS AND NEED TO LEARN SOME RESPECT FOR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF PEOPLE WHEN YOU REPORT YOUR NEWS!!!

Chad White

My family watches the show all the time. We love it so much that we record it. I was really sad when we found out that he past away. it's more sad that he had tried to commit suiside. I feel sorry for his wife and kids. I can't think what the family is going through. sorry for your lose.

Jesse Risley

As a fellow storm chaser, I am shocked to read some of the caustic and bellicose comments that have been posted in regards to this story. The chasing community was shocked to learn of Matt's passing this past Spring, but some disillusioned commentators seem to have no sense of decency in their nefarious commentary on this article. Regardless of how Storm Chasers, vis-a-vis Discovery Channel, chose to portray his death, some respect for both the family and Matt's memory could be shown when commenting on TMZ's article. For the love of God, have some of you no remaining sense of courtesy and respect for a deceased man, husband and father of two children? Heaven forbid that you ever have a tragedy or suffer from depression yourselves and indubitably have to read such trash posted about you or a loved one in the wake of a devastating loss.

Mike

Bad women always bring GOOD MEN down...RIP Matt ..Your eternal fan from TOPEKA...

Joe

I totally agree with Dragon... Matt will be truly missed by the dedicated fans of the show and our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. God Bless

me

Yes, Suzanne, that's him! Sean had him at his home for awhile until I learned of him, now he's my boy! He still gets to play with Sean's dog (they go to the same park and our walkers are friends!) Here is a picture of him after I first got him at 5 months old. http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/StormyBluePup/StormyBlue.jpg

Suzanne

me - He's a handsome boy. Those eyes just melt your heart. Thanks for sharing the picture.

I'm a strong believer in adopting abandoned and shelter animals. What Sean did was awesome and now I see him as someone other than the uptight guy in the TIV.

Stormy Blue is a very lucky pup!

Ella

So sad about Matt! So sad that people with low self esteem making these IGNORANT comment's think they are intitled too! I loved watching him on the show and my prayer's go out to his family. Today's economy is horrible. If the stupid president gave each American over 25 years of age 500,000 instead of bailing out the stupid bank's that gave themselves bonus"s it would have saved alot of people's live's. They're are so many familie's out there doing everything they can and it's still not enough. It's ashame so many are taking their live's because of this. I am not sure if Matt did, but I am sure it was weighing on his mind with a wife and children. It had to be hard. I am sure he loved them very much.

TJ

@Mike #145, ignorance is not bliss. Remeber that please.

Someone who has experience

Easily and hands down there is mental illness that goes with those who want to end their life. I find it appalling to see god fearing people judge other people. Shame on you for degrading someone you do not even know. I lost a friend to mental illness - to suicide - and he was trying very hard to get help. Sometimes they can not she the forest through the trees. Even with the love of a family around them. Suicide is not something you judge from afar--again shame on you!

Dodie

Thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends. Know his buddies on the show will truely miss him.
Dragon, very well said! I don't live where I have to worry about things like tornados (or at least not that I know of)but I can't imagine the fear that goes through the minds of people that do and the sirens go off. Worse yet, no siren. Thanks to the information and knowledge gained by doing what those guys on "Storm Chasers" do, hopefully,soon, there will be more time to alert all those in danger.
Rest in Peace, Matt.

anonymous

Go **** on yourselfs people. Don't judge! You have no idea what he could have been dealing with up until his death. RIP Matt.