'Storm Chasers' Star Committed Suicide

11/4/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Storm Chasers" just revealed one of its stars, Matt Hughes, died earlier this year -- and TMZ has learned his death was a suicide -- the result of a hanging.

Matt Hughes Storm Chaser death
At the end of last night's episode of the Discovery reality show viewers were told Hughes died in May due to complications from a fatal injury at his home in Kansas.

TMZ confirmed with Valley Center PD ... on May 14 they responded to a suicide call at Hughes' home.  According to the police report, officers concluded Matt, who was still breathing, was drinking before the suicide attempt.

We're told Matt was taken to a local hospital -- but passed away 13 days later.  The Medical Examiner's report lists "Hanging" as the cause of death.

110510_storm_chasers_tmz_tv2Last night's episode was dedicated to Matt -- and we're told Discovery has set up a memorial fund for Matt's wife and two sons.

Suzanne

TiffC, your comment is repulsive. If that is what you're thoughts are on this matter, please keep them to yourself.

Justin

good kid i love he in the show RIP matt you will be missed and the show

noneofyourbusiness

To #31 - Cindy.

Maybe your mother committed suicide because of you. Ever think of that Princess?
_______
That is probably the worst thing I have ever seen anyone say on any thread-ever. You should be ASHAMED of yourself. That was a real bitch thing to say.

Cindy-I'm so terribly sorry for your loss and the ingnorance of others.

Chieftom

I am stunned to find out it was suicide. I am a 50 something retired Navy Chief and when I watched the last episode of Storm Chasers I cried watching the sheer joy on Matt's face during the intercept knowing that he was dead. It looked like his work with Storm Chasers looked like it was going just where he wanted.

It just numbs me to think that someone so young, who had hit the top of his game, someone that was obviously a smart guy would kill himself. There are always better solutions, always.

So now the image of unbelievable joy on his face that I was going to remember forever is now overridden by the knowledge that even after that, he killed himself.

It just doesn't make any sense.

noneofyourbusiness

To #31 - Cindy.

As for this guy... the storm chaser. Is his wife HAWT?!
____________
You possibly are one of the biggest azzholes ever........

Cindy

BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! #33
LET US SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU IN THE NEXT DAY FOR THAT HATE FILLED COMMENT. YES, EVERY CHILD WANTS TO WALK IN AND SEE HER MOTHER WITH GUNSHOTS THROUGH HER BODY AFTER TAKING HER LIFE.....YOU ARE A SPAWN OF SATAN!

Conservatives are Cowards

Don't blame TMZ; this story is all over the internet. Google it.

Posted at 12:09 PM on Nov 4, 2010 by FlamingoNut
---------------------------

Unlike here, those are private message boards and blogs where the members express far more intelligence, class and respect than the bottom-feeding pieces of trash that post at this site. Furthermore, none of those blogs or boards actually explained the method or details of his death.

TMZ, much like the worthless losers that post on its site, has absolutely no sense of civility.

I can only hope that karma is as big of a witch as I've been told.

Cindy

Sorry everyone, they now erased that hateful comment...Appreciate the sincere help! Was just trying to express how painful suicide is to a family, especially the children left behind.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

if all you whiners dont like the comments then take your butt somewhere else ya bonheads..everytime somebody offs himself and they report it on here you are going to have people make light of it ..so why do you continue to whine about it,its huiman nature...so quit being stupid about it and roll with it or hit the damn road and go find a site more to your likeing..duh

Conservatives are Cowards

Midnight Toker -- You are a very good example for an argument in favor of the idea that for some, suicide isn't such a bad thing. Society would definitely be better off without a loser like you taking up space and using resources that would be better used on anything else.

And learn how to write, you half-wit piece of trash.

Suzanne

Cindy, when I saw your comment to #33 I looked and it was my post, but then I realized that the hateful one that I replied to is gone, changing the order of the posts.

I am truly sorry that you lost your mother at such a young age.

*78

Why would everybody involved keep this guy's death a secret for nearly half-a-year so that it could be included in some kind of a sweeps-type surprise for a reality show to drum up huge ratings? I had seen Discovery promote this episode like crazy in the last couple of weeks. And to find out all that promotion was to get people to watch to find out that one of the stars of the show hung himself 6 months ago, that is sick! I'm sorry, but that is just reality-sewer TV. I hope Discovery Channel is proud of themselves as they anxiously review their ratings numbers.

joe

Wow! I never knew people could be so ignorant and cruel. RIP Matt, you will be missed.

Shame

Same on you, TMZ.

You are the Ambulance chasers of the web.

noneofyourbusiness

Sorry, but saying that it's a child's fault that their parent committed suicide is not making light of any situation-that is terrible.

Midnight Toker....why don't you go take a few more hits off of your pipe to clear that muddled up head of yours.....