Joe Jackson -- I Didn't Beat MJ, I Used a Strap

11/8/2010 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It may be splitting hairs (unless you're on the receiving end) but Joe Jackson maintains he didn't beat Michael Jackson as a kid ... he used a strap ... and he'd do it all over again.

1108_joe_jackson_oprah_video
Watch Oprah call out Joe on her show today.

donna

I am with all the rest of the people who have commented regarding the fact that if Joe didn't kick all their asses, they wouldn't be where they are today. He may have been extreme, but oh well, the past is the past. I am not black, but my parents beat my ass for wrongdoings. Today it's called child abuse. Child abuse is a totally different situation than spankings and punishing. I had more fear of doing wrong because of the punishment I would catch from my parents. Today's children have no fear, whatsoever....I have a 22 year old daughter that I spanked and punished, she'd feared me! Which kept her ass in line. However, my friends who do not believe in spankings or punishments, have children from hell. They are disrespectful to adults, have terrible attitudes, and are evil to their siblings. Thats what happens to unruly children when there are no consequences for improper actions! And because of the parents lack of authority, those young adults rule the house....and the return of those parents lack of parenting, they no longer have us as friends....

mymjj5

PLEASZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! IT'S BEEN OVER 50 DAMN YEARS!!! SOME OF YOU PEOPLE NEED TO BE TREATED FOR AN ATTACHMENT DISORDER!!!

chartman

oh, joe jackson you are cruel and i would love to see you go to prison for beating you kids and you stupid fool you think a belt is better than your fist. all of your kids are whack jobs because of you and your wife is at fault here as she stood back and let you beat these kids. you have the balls to say you would do it again. i promise you would have gone to prison if it were in todays world. i hope the people in charge of michaels money keep you and the mother from getting a dime. live off social security like i have to do. all money should go to the children. not a dime to joe. whatever the mothers name is she should kick his ass out. i would gain a tiny bit respect for you if you did.

natasha

who cares? like 30 years ago and mj forgave his father, joe is 80 and from a completely differnt generation

Laura

I find it interesting the Joe Jackson says that using the strap on his kids kept them out of trouble...Michael had three kids of his own and NEVER physically disciplined them and yet all three are well mannered, intelligent, loving kids who felt love and acceptance from their father...not the fear and rejection that Michael felt from his father. I realize it was a different time back then but still...no remorse or regret over causing such grief to your children? Seems sad and disgusting all at the same time.
Michael's father could've learnt a thing or two about how a REAL man parents his kids from how Michael raised Prince, Paris, and Blanket.

sofi

I truely can't believe some posters here!! You people consider beating a child the correct way to keep it out of trouble,i am truely DISGUSTED!!!.My father grew up while Greece was at war with the Germans,as an adult flew to Canada where he we lived till my mother's death,he worked hard but he always had time for me and my sister but he barely lift a finger on us.
A violent parent will either have a shy,scared and unable to put up with bullies child,or the child will take out it's rage on another child.Joe was violent and there is no excuse for it. As parents and since we created another human being we should be able to FEEL LOVE FOR OUR CHILD,it's supposed to be in our parental nature,if we are incapable of loving our children and making them realise right from wrong by talking to them face to face and looking straight in their eyes then we don't DESERVE to be parents.Sometimes parents make mistakes and they should set a good example to their children by admitting that they were wrong.

Tiffany

Even though Joe was going tooooo far with the discipline, he steered his children in the right direction. Like come on, kids today, are so terrible. I'm 16, but I'll just say this. I'm glad my mom and dad whooped my ass when I got out of line. If I didn't get that, who knows what I would be doing right about now. I see my friends who don't get discipline, and they are out of control.

Eleonora49

IT MADE ME CRY HOW BAD TO SAY I WOULD DO IT AGAIN! SORRY MR JOE JACKSON SORRY YOU ARE JUST LIKE MY MOTHER IN GERMANY! BOTH OF YOU ARE THE SAME ITS SAD! YOU AND HER NEVER CHANGED! Why can't parents like that say I love you? Say it and mean it? I AM SO PISSED! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU HURTING PEOPLE AND STILL NOW NOT ADMITTING TO IT! YOU DONE A STUPID THING! Poor lovley Michael, I HAVE BEEN WOUNDERING, DID HE FEEL HURT LIKE I DO NOW SOOOO MANY YEARS LATER? DO YOU HAVE ANY ANY Idea how much it hurts inside a soft hearted person's SOUL? All he wanted to do is please you and make you happy. It so so sad.I AM SITTING HERE CRYING! I love you Michael. I wish we could of saved ourselves together from our abusive parents.

MJ4Ever

Man what this man does for attention from the media. I got to say He will get his ass beat when he meets his maker and he isnt far from meeting him. Michael Jackson was forced sing and he sang beautifully. RIP MiChAeL JaCkSoN.

on MJJ's side

at the age of 13, Prince voice is so manly. and tat ugly JB still has tat girly voice. baby... hahahahaha

pulchritudinous_1

Reality. Kids need beatings but not for the reasons Joe Jackson beat his kids. He is a moron.

OnlyOneWithSense

He got spanked...big deal. Some people will cling to anything that can take the blame for Michael being strange. His transformation from normal to strange took place over decades as he gained fame and floated further from reality. It has nothing to do with how he was disciplined.

Look at today's young celebrity crowd: Lil Wayne, T.I., Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, etc. I guarantee that none of them were regularly spanked and look how great they turned out.

OnlyOneWithSense

Bobby P

Joe Jackson, was a Great Father, he beat the talent into those boys, his belt should be at the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame!!!

marcia

Posted at 6:13 AM on Nov 11, 2010 by Bobby P
________________________________________________________________

This is funny, but it is also sad but true. Joe made them the great performers that they were, especially MJ. I have no doubt that his impeccable approach to his craft and/or projects, dance and/or what have you is a direct result of Joe Jackson a s s whuppin's. And truth be told MJ admitted that he didn't even get it that much or as bad as some of the others, he mentioned Marlon specifically. Joe wanted them to be the best and to be big stars. I'm not saying his methods of assuring that that be the case was the best, however it was certainly effective and it did keep them out of trouble. His children were all very good kids who were very polite and very well behaved. Plus they were successful. Could he have rehearsed them a different way? Of course, we all know that most people work better or well with incentives however Joseph didn't know any other or better way to make them great. So I think we should get off old Joe's back.