Joe Jackson -- I Didn't Beat MJ, I Used a Strap

11/8/2010 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It may be splitting hairs (unless you're on the receiving end) but Joe Jackson maintains he didn't beat Michael Jackson as a kid ... he used a strap ... and he'd do it all over again.

1108_joe_jackson_oprah_video
Watch Oprah call out Joe on her show today.

chris

It was so long ago, why continue to bring it up over and over again.

Lisa

Back in the 60's and 70's, that is what you got when you got in troble. Me and all of my friends were all whipped with a belt if you did something wrong. There was NOTHING UNUSAL ABOUT IT. My parents were whipped when they were young as well. Heck...our principle had a paddle in the office and you got 3 hits when you did something wrong at school. I think when you take it too far to abuse is when it is wrong. I will say that it kept me out of troble and I hardly got lots of whippings...unlike my brother and sister.
I do not spank my child with a belt but times have changed. No one shOULD get on him about his method b/c everyone did it...not just black families... my family is white.

mike

Not all black folks beat their kids. Some of you people here act and sound like morons. I don't see why you folks have a hard time understanding that type of behavior since your ancestors spent 350 years beating black people. Where do you think people learned it from.

nancy

I DON'T GET HOW ANYONE CAN DEFEND THIS AWFUL MAN. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO RAISE THEIR CHILDREN WITHOUT ABUSING THEM AND THEIR CHILDREN DON'T END UP IN JAIL. MICHAEL DIES BECAUSE HE HAS SOMEONE COME TO HIS HOUSE TO HOOK HIM UP TO DEPROVAN SOMETHING TO BE USED ONLY FOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES IN A HOSPITAL AND YET JOE JACKSON AND HIS DEFENDER DON'T THINK HIS SON WAS MESSED UP.

mj fan forever

And to use a STRAP is not beat??!!! Then, I'd want to use a strap over you Joe!!!! Shame on you Joe and Katherine, you are made for each other!!!

dd

@49 Wow Mike you really made a good point..Where did all this beating begin? I think it is well do***ented in history books.

ItsNotWhatuThink

I was beat and brutalized and my life is ****. Post Traumatic Stress, Anxiety, Depression, and NOW I have to forgive my idiot, alchoholic parents in order for me to have a chance to heal from their criminal behaviour. Thanks Mom and Dad. Thanks society for reinforcing that it is good and wise to beat children until they don't know which way is up and then blame them for their addictions and whatever else people do to kill the non-stop pain. Blame and shame the victims a billion dollar industry - right Oprah?

Kay

My 'mommie dearest' raised me as a JW and hit me with hands, belts, wire hangers...whatever she could get her hands on. I hated her and watched her buried 6 years ago---those beatings has had an effect on my life and I never once raised my hands to my children and guess what Joe...my children have not been in jail either and they are good kids!! There are other ways to 'discipline' a child without hands, hangers, belts, or straps! Sorry folks but Katherine was just as wrong in those 'strap' episodes as she knew about it!
No wonder Michael never wanted his children around Joe! Mine were never around my mother either! Kept them away from her!

Marie

I hope that in the next life Joe Jackson is not allowed to see or touch or talk to or be near Michael Jackson.He does not deserve to be the father of Michael Jackson.

txlady47

I am not black but when I was growing up my brothers and I got "spankings" when we did something very wrong. My mom and grandmother would give us a swat or two with a flyswatter on our butts and if we did something really bad then Mama would tell Daddy when he got home and he'd give us one swat with his hand on our butts. I never felt like we were abused by getting a spanking...most of the time you couldn't even feel it...what my brothers and I thought was worst was having to sit in the little chair in the corner with our faces facing the corner...we always would rather have the swat with the flyswatter than having to sit in the corner for 30 minutes. But from all I've gathered from hearing about Joe Jackson he actually beat his kids and now him saying he used a strap just furthers the knowledge that he actually beat them. I sure hope that he in no way is allowed to discipline Michael's children...also I blame Katherine for the beatings Joe inflicted on the children as she let him get away with it.

Fred Farkel

Thank you dd.

Every YAY-WHO that posts on these MJ threads needs to stop by 2300 Jackson Street, Gary, Indiana BEFORE they get so up-in-arms about Joe.

That situation today at the old family home is BELOW HOPELESS - and now just look where they all are now. Girls are doing quite well - and I don't care what you say about the other sons being LOSERS... THEY ALL HAVE JOE TO THANK FOR JUST BEING ALIVE.

The hoods lurking around the old Jackson home are disgusting pieces of human trash - and I got the distinct impression that if at any moment - if YOU were the only visitor to the MJ memorial - YOU WOULD BE ROBBED AND/OR DEAD.

I AM NO MJ FAN, BUT I LIKE TO STOP THERE OCCASIONALLY JUST FOR THE SAKE OF HISTORY AND TO PAY MY RESPECTS TO A LEGEND.

sandy

And Mrs. Jackson is not better for letting it happen!

sandy

Joe Jackson is a horrible person!!!

Marie

People that say that Joe Jackson had the right to beat his children you do not understand that Joe Jackson took it to the next level in the abuse department by punching his boys in the face until they bled and shoving them against the walls and kicking them in the nuts or pushing them down the stairs.That is not educating,that is destroying their souls by making them feel worthless.God does not say in the Bible to physically abuse your children.So there is no excuse for defending Joe Jackson the most horrible father of them all.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

spare the rod..spoil the child,,thats just ol joe showing his special kind of livin for his kids,,you need to whup them once in a while so they dont get lazy