Joe Jackson -- I Didn't Beat MJ, I Used a Strap

11/8/2010 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It may be splitting hairs (unless you're on the receiving end) but Joe Jackson maintains he didn't beat Michael Jackson as a kid ... he used a strap ... and he'd do it all over again.

1108_joe_jackson_oprah_video
Watch Oprah call out Joe on her show today.

ifuseekamy

I have an important announcement to make: Marshall and I own a record company.

sofi

No matter what you use on a child's body,is unacceptable!
That is no way to discipline a child,children need parents to talk to them and make them understand right from wrong.My grandparents raised 7 children but never laid a hand on them.
It is truelly a miracle that Michael became such a loving,caring,full of compassion adult suffering such a brutal childhood.

Reyna38

SHUT THE FUKKKKKKK UP OLD FART.. I HATE BLACK FOLKS CUS OF THESE FOOLS...

PEOPLE STOP VIDEO TAPING THESE MONEY HUNGRY PEOPLE....

HE WAS A CHILD ABUSER AND THATS ALL.. HE BEAT ON ALL HIS KIDS.. NO JUST ONE ALL!!!!!!

U ASSSHOLE.

tacky66

wow, this child abuser said he would do it again, and mj is dead! nothing should ever be published about joe jackson, what a creep.

Tellmewhy

Yeah- back in the day-when we misbehaved---we were paddled-- or Dad used the strap--or get a willow whip from the tree! Maybe the boys are the hardest to raise!?! Straighten their ish out!!May not be proper now--and parents these days are afraid to discipline--kids will cry out Abuse!!!
The Jackson's parents must've done a good job--their kids were stars!

Olivia3100

In whose world is this a positive?
A strap hurts much more than a hand.
Straps, spankings, slaps, rulers, paddles....
Way to go "Dad of the Year"!
Expect the World's Greatest Dad trophy any time soon?

Maeve

Joe, Hopefully you will experience the pain and humiliation that your son experienced by receiving a beating with a strap-it was a beating. What a low life. And Old Joe is still trying to rob his son. 1st you take away his childhood, now you try to take his money. Joe is definately one of the lower forms of life. Keep this abuser away from his grandchildren. Watch him, Joe has a plan.

vicckyjane

Spanking is a lot of noise without real damage. It is not beating, whipping, slapping or slugging. Open palm directed to the bottom - pants up or down optional. There is no bleeding or bruising, just a pink mark and slight sting. There is no weaponry involved. When consenting adults engage in romantic fun they will sometimes include spanking because it does no HARM.

annie2

#42 Fred Farkel: I don't agree with everything you said but very funny about "Jermajesty, Jerbuckwheat,..." etc and needing to slap some sense into them! I am all for corporal punishment when it is truly needed...just don't agree with Joe's use of it. It just seemed like there was literally NO room to make any mistakes without having to pull the strap out. That is wrong. I do agree that he did help keep them on the straight and narrow. It also made them paranoid and forever scared of the guy. It's touch and go with me. He may have had good motivations for keeping his kids in line but was ridiculously over the top. I would rather have lived with Joan Crawford.

Sarafina

Somebody should beat him with a strap...oh wait...that'll be the devil in HELL!!

jack

there is nothing normal about the Jacksons, dead or alive! Why do we give them so much attention?

nobleday

Sure children today need to be given direction and limits, but a "strap"? Is that the only option? Obviously MJ's parents didn't know any better at the time, and I wish they were more clear about their choices today.

The only reason I can see for this kind of punishment is because the adult doesn't want to take the time with their child to find a smarter way to guide them. And, too many adults take their own frustrations out on their dependent, helpless children.

People often have children like they'd pick out a new car or designer handbag. Dump the kids in daycare or with a nanny. Just forget about the attachment required by children, and their developmental stages.

We've got lots and lots of kids running around today with attachment deficit disorder, etc. because the "adults" were too busy. I think there are a lot more attachment disorder kids around than people realize. With electronics and daycare, children aren't getting the time they need to bond and learn.

Even well-meaning parents don't take the time to understand what young children need beyond material things. Our culture is all about acquiring stuff and doesn't value really spending time with each other.

Out in the world, back then and today, I'm not seeing adults giving a lot of love to their children. The adults are too busy thinking about their own lives to spend much time considering the children. I saw one "mom" at a store putting her face into her screaming toddler's face and meanly saying, "I don't love you, and you don't love me." The kid was scared out of his mind. I said something, but who knows what will happen to that poor little boy.

Joe is one example of this...except rather than ditching his kids and working all the time, he made them work just as hard (or harder) than he did.

The mom here did the best she knew how at the time, but she sat by and allowed all this to happen. From the kids' perspective, the mom basically abandoned her children. When they were on the road, which was most of the time, Katherine was at home.

I've read MJ ended up treating his "tutor" like she was a mother. If she'd been on the road with them, she could have been the mother that they all needed...and it probably wouldn't have gotten so crazy.

To me it seems the mom not being there may be more difficult for a child. They had their dad around...but the mom wasn't there much of the time. Sad stuff.

Research shows that boys with nannies and daycare providers are less faithful and healthy in their adult relationships. Boys learned to separate women into two groups – the detached caretaker people and the distant mother. Adult men can turn that right into a wife and a mistress if they even want to commit.

There's rarely only two paths in life. It's not a question of beat your kids to keep them out of jail or don't beat them and they'll be in jail. Those are two extremes. Things are usually better when life is in the middle. One can discipline a child without brutality and destroying a loving relationship.

Kids just want to know and be shown they are loved.

Jessica

Joe: I didn't BEAT Michael. I STRAPPED him!

Joe, this is what is officially known as a "distinction without a difference".

Jessica

"he made all those kids what they are"

No - the kids made JOE.

Elissa

Joe was abusing those kids. You don't beat a child just because they missed a dance step or misses a lyric in a song. Even Michael told Oprah during a interview with her that Joe beat them badly whenever they messed up on a step dance . That is completely child abuse. You should only spank a child if they are bad and misbehaving. Not if they mess up on something!