« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Cam Newton Drama Ignites FBI Investigation

11/9/2010 7:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ Sports has confirmed ... the FBI has requested a meeting with a key figure in the Cam Newton college football recruiting controversy to find out if, "young men are being shopped to colleges."

Cam Newton NCAA investigation:

The man feds want to speak with is John Bond -- a former Mississippi State football star. Last week, Bond claimed people connected to Heisman front-runner Cam Newton contacted him back in 2009 and said it would take $180,000 to get Cam to commit to MSU.

Newton eventually committed to Auburn University, where he's now one of the top quarterbacks in the country.

Bond's attorney confirms to TMZ Sports that the FBI has requested a sit-down meeting with his client -- and tells us the agent who contacted him said, "We are interested in whether young men are being shopped to colleges."

Newton has denied any wrongdoing -- and reps for Auburn have stated that Newton remains eligible to play and will start this weekend against Georgia.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jeff

Dan Mullens was a coach at Florida when Cam was there,If cam was such a troubled student or athelete, then why did Mullens try so hard to recruit Cam at MSU

jwc

I hear all the Aubies ears are getting sore, since all of this broke about Scam they have had their fingers in their ears going LALALALALALALALALALALALA. They refuse to even listen.

frankie

Check his fathers bank account ,life style upgrade ,purchases ,if everything has improved greatly then he sold his son like a slave .

cochino

Exactly how is this a secret?

Elementary kids who show promise in sports are recruited by high schools for football and basketball, especially the private high schools.

Lots of kids in southern California uproot and move to go to high schools in other towns or districts. It's called pay for play ball. You agree to play and they *conveniently* adjust your tuition promising you a better education than a public high school.

donna

I fail to see why this would shock anyone.

Aaron

yes, nobody is perfect. everybody does stupid things. but when you are pretty much carrying the team of auburn on your back and are set across the country as one of the best quarterbacks in college football, there should be consequences for that. there would be no way as a coach that i would want someone like that as a leader. it gives a bad name to auburn. (not that i care. go ducks!)

popo

when your the player toting the team naturally people are gonna have a deaf ear screw cheese**** scam newton towel taylor what a bunch of tards!!! roll on

Tamara Wilson

I think the FBI has enough on their plate without chasing into something that is going on with a college student. Somethings are just uncalled for. Somebody has to much time on their hands. Do they really believe this just started with Cam Newton come on now. Or is that someone want to sit him down before he can make it PRO..that is what it sounds like to me... GET REAL PEOPLE,, You are suppose to educate the Children. This has really taken a whole other level.

linda

Isn't Cam's older brother making $500000 or so a year in the pros?

neuce

The ignorance of some of you is astounding.

If you think Urban Meyer is putting out information on the negative things that Newton did while at UF you are an idiot.

Newton did screw up while at UF but you haters of UF need to just STFU. It's Newton and Auburn's problem and not UF and Meyer's.

Tim Gibson

All you Auburn fans (and maybe a few Bama Fans) who believe Coach Mayer had anything to do with this come on to Panama City. I have some land i back of my house I would like to sell you. By the way, I live on St. Andrews Bay.

Gbed

My grandmama use to say, "where there is smoke their is fire".

hey

you can't be mad if this is true why do we go to college to make money so if you are given that option why not these universitys make millions off these top athletes so the university can pimp out merchindise left and right a player ask for a little bit of money in return i say so what

Natalie

I BELIEVE IN CAM NEWTON AND LOVE IT.

THE AUBURN CREED

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.
-George Petrie (1945)

Cocoro

I believe in AUBURN and LOVE it!! I believe in CAM and LOVE him! I'm so happy he has celebrity TMZ & FBI status! GO CAM!!!